A 33-year-old man working at the construction site for the Richmond County Career Technical Magnet School was electrocuted Wednesday afternoon.
Jevon Maloy, of Bonaire, Ga., was pronounced dead at 3:27 p.m. at Medical College of Georgia Hospital, said Chief Deputy Coroner Mark Bowen.
Co-workers attempted to resuscitate Maloy at the scene before emergency workers arrived, Bowen said.
According to Richmond County dispatch, an ambulance and the fire department responded to the site behind Augusta Tech Drive at 2:49 p.m.
Maloy was a temporary electrical worker who worked at the site for three days, Bowen said. He was standing on a ladder performing work in the ceiling when he was electrocuted and fell to the ground.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration will investigate, said Richmond County School System spokeswoman Carol Rountree. The school system plans to release a statement.
An autopsy is scheduled for Thursday morning in Augusta, Bowen said.
The magnet school is being built on the Augusta Technical College campus and is scheduled for completion in August, although some school board members have raised concerns that the opening could be delayed.