Dryer at Richmond County Prison catches on fire

An industrial dryer at the Richmond County Prison caught on fire and caused a large amount of smoke Friday afternoon.

Fire fighters were called out to the building at 2314 Tobacco Road at 4:36 p.m., in response to a fire alarm, dispatch said.

They discovered a fire in the laundry room, stemming from one of the industrial dryers, that caused smoke and set off the sprinkler system, Capt. Mel LaPan said.

No one was hurt and the fire was contained to one machine.

More

Wed, 03/22/2017 - 17:42

Foundation stopped giving to ‘alt-right’ movement leader in 2015

The Augusta-based Community Foundation for the Central Savannah River Area severed ties with an organization tied to a white nationalist in 2015 after discovering the group’s “mission and purpose,” the nonprofit’s President and CEO Shell K. Berry said in a statement.

Read more