The African-American Historical Committee of Augusta will dedicate a marker to the Rev. Samuel Butler Wallace and Etta V. Wallace at 1 p.m. Saturday in front of the Wallace Branch Library.
The Wallace Branch Library was the dream and vision of the Rev. Samuel Wallace Jr. He embarked on a crusade to create a library for the black children of Augusta. His letter-writing campaign and community efforts helped to establish Augusta’s first African American Library Branch in 1937. The library’s first home was the old firehouse at 1237 Gwinnett St. The library occupied this site until the opening of its current location at 1237 Laney-Walker Blvd. in April 1958.