Bond denied man caught after trestle standoff

Foston after his Aug. 3 capture by police

The man who sparked a 90-minute standoff with police on the Sixth Street railroad bridge this month was denied bond Friday.


The Aug. 3 incident started the day before when, investigators say, Yearby Foston, 33, robbed a woman at her Peach Orchard Road insurance office, then attacked and tried to rape her.

A search for the suspect ended over the Savannah River, where Foston, believed to be armed, had walked onto the bridge and kept Richmond County and North Augusta law enforcement officers at bay for more than an hour. He was eventually taken into custody by Richmond County deputies and charged with armed robbery, aggravated assault, possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime and criminal attempted rape. No charges resulted from the standoff.

Senior Superior Court Judge William Fleming Jr. denied bond Friday on the grounds that Foston posed a threat to the community and is a flight risk.

Also Friday, a $50,000 bond was granted to two people charged with murder in separate incidents.

Tiffany Brown, 29, is charged with stabbing her ex-boyfriend, Ollie Anderson, in the heart Aug. 5 at Fox Trace Apartments. New details revealed Friday that the violence was the culmination of a fight between the couple that Assistant District Attorney Parks White said was instigated by Anderson.

White said Anderson hit Brown in the mouth and threw things around the apartment, including her laptop. Brown told police he was “like a tornado.”

It was the tossed laptop that prompted Brown to stab Anderson in the heart, White said.

In another case, Dequan Holmes, 17, was granted bond after Fleming was told the shots that killed Javares Alston were in self-defense. A second victim, Danielle Willingham, 38, was shot in the leg during the June 28 incident at Lot 105 of the Windsor Court mobile home park.

Both the prosecution and the defense agreed the shootings resulted from a dispute over money owed to Holmes.

Attorney Peter Johnson said Alston threatened Holmes with a knife, so Holmes fired.

A prosecutor said, however, that there was no evidence of a knife in the home.

Police capture robbery suspect on railroad bridge
Man fatally stabbed at Fox Trace Apartments
Teen charged in early-morning slaying


Sat, 01/20/2018 - 21:01

Families enjoy Fun Fest at Futurity