A man burning storm debris in a North Augusta trailer park Monday inadvertently sparked a fire that destroyed two mobile homes and damaged a third, officials say.
About 3:56 p.m., fire crews were dispatched to the park on Emma Lane near Blanchard Road after a small pile of storm debris began to burn out of control, said Firefighter Chris Alverson, of the Graniteville Volunteer Fire Department.
Wind blew flames across a three-acre section of the park, Alverson said, which included three mobile homes and two storage units. Two of the mobile homes and both storage units were leveled by the blaze. A third home suffered some fire damage.
No one was inside any of the homes at the time of the fire. The homes were believed to have been use for storage only.
The man burning the debris did not have a permit, Alverson said, but no charges have been filed.
The Langley and Belvedere fire departments responded to the scene, along with the North Augusta Department of Public Safety. The South Carolina Forestry Commission and South Carolina Electric and Gas were also on hand to assist crews.