Editor's note: An earlier version of this column contained the wrong answer for question 2 at the bottom.
Inspired by last week’s Academy of Richmond County Hall of Fame event, this quiz tests your knowledge of Augusta.
1. ARC grad Carl Sanders defeated former Gov. Marvin Griffin in 1962’s Georgia gubernatorial race. Griffin blamed the loss on:
A. Richard Nixon.
B. Political dirty tricks.
D. “Some of the people who ate my barbecue didn’t vote for me.”
2. Confederate Gen. James Longstreet was known for:
A. His nickname “Old Jim.”
B. His Democratic Party success after the war.
C. His tall, commanding presence.
D. His small stature.
3. What is not true of U.S. Supreme Court Justice Joseph R. Lamar?
A. He was appointed to the high court by boyhood friend Woodrow Wilson.
B. He played on the future president’s childhood baseball team.
C. He was in the Georgia Legislature.
D. He was a successful attorney.
4. War hero Jimmie Dyess:
A. Went to Clemson.
B. Won the Carnegie Medal for heroism as a young man when he saved two people from drowning.
C. Received the Medal of Honor for action in World War II.
D. All of the above.
5. What didn’t happen when President George Washington visited Augusta in the 1790s?
A. He visited Richmond Academy.
B. He planted a cherry tree.
C. He went to a ball.
D. He inspected an old British fort.
6. Which is true of baseball player Ty Cobb?
A. Went to grade school in Augusta and married a local sweetheart.
B. Loved hunting, but thought golf a waste of time.
C. Had part ownership of The Augusta Chronicle.
D. Made his professional debut with the Augusta Tigers.
7. Which group of names includes someone who did not visit Augusta?
A. Ray Charles, Martin Luther King Jr., Hank Aaron.
B. Minnie Pearl, Brenda Lee, Elvis Presley.
C. Presidents James Monroe, William Howard Taft, Warren G. Harding.
D. William Makepeace Thackery, Stephen Vincent Benet, Charles Dickens.
8. Which statement is right about Strom Thurmond, Barack Obama and Jimmy Carter?
A. All three served in the U.S. Senate.
B. All three served in the U.S. military.
C. All three carried Richmond County in presidential voting.
D. All three were Atlanta Braves fans.
9. Augusta National Golf Club co-founder Bobby Jones’ best finish in the Masters Tournament was:
10. Augusta’s fire bell of the late 1800s was known as:
A. Big Ben
B. Big Bill
C. Big Bell
D. Big Steve