Squatters could have caused motel blaze

Augusta Super Inn was closed for business, but people still lived there.


Augusta Fire Department Lt. Neal Brown suspects one or more of them caused a blaze that damaged 30 of the motel's 120 rooms Saturday night.

Firefighters worked from about 11 p.m. until about 9:45 Sunday morning to put out the fire.

They haven't determined if it was intentionally set but do think someone at the motel caused the Saturday fire, Brown said.

Brown checked the damaged rooms Sunday morning to be sure no one was a casualty of the blaze.

The property at 1602 Gordon Highway could be in receivership and not have an insurance policy, he said.