Boy, 17, injured in accidental fire

Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue firefighters James Thomas (left) and Gary Thigpen Jr. give oxygen to a dog that suffered smoke inhalation from a burning home in the Farmington subdivision in Evans early Monday. Cy Webb, 17, was cooking just before 8 a.m., when the pan caught fire, said Martinez-Columbia Assistant Chief Jim Champion. He suffered burns to his foot and leg and was in serious condition Monday at the Joseph M. Still Burn Center at Doctors Hospital, according to a hospital spokeswoman. Two dogs also were rescued from the home, which was badly damaged by the fire, officials said.

A 17-year-old boy received what were believed to be non-life-threatening burns Monday morning when he attempted to extinguish a fire in his home.

A neighbor of 4861 White Hall Drive in Evans, in the Farmington subdivision, called 911 after seeing smoke coming from the home shortly before 8 a.m. Monday. When Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue personnel arrived, they found the living room area in flames and the 17-year-old with burns to his arm and legs.

The fire was soon extinguished, and two dogs were rescued from the home. One was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

Fire personnel say the fire started when a pan the youth was using in the kitchen caught fire. He tried to take the burning pan outside, but slipped and dropped the contents on a sofa, catching it on fire. He was burned when he attempted to extinguish the fire.

The teen was taken to an area hospital for treatment.