Across Georgia

Columbus teenager charged with murder


COLUMBUS, Ga. --- Police have arrested a 17-year-old in connection with the fatal shooting of a Columbus man.

The Columbus Ledger-Enquirer reports that 22-year-old James Edward Evans died at 3:55 a.m. Saturday at The Medical Center after a bullet entered his right shoulder and exited his left.

His body was sent to Atlanta for an autopsy.

Police arrested Jarrod Fleming of Columbus and he is being held in the Muscogee County Jail. He is charged with murder and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime.

Police Lt. Lynn Joiner said Fleming stated the shooting was an accident and occurred while guns were being played with.

Driver who fled from police killed in crash

ATLANTA --- Officials say a Roswell man who was driving a stolen car has been killed after he crashed into another vehicle while fleeing from police.

The Georgia State Patrol said the crash happened in Cherokee County just after midnight Saturday.

State Patrol spokesman Gordy Wright said a deputy spotted the stolen Pontiac and 24-year-old Richard Armin Whitman sped away after the deputy turned on his patrol car's blue lights.

Wright said the deputy did not chase the car and later drove up on the crash about two miles away.

Wright said the wreck involved the Pontiac and a 1997 Chevrolet Silverado. He said the driver of the Chevrolet was taken to North Fulton Hospital to be treated for his injuries.

Parking dispute leads to stabbing, shooting

ATLANTA --- Police are investigating after they say an argument over a parking space at a DeKalb County mall led to a shooting and stabbing.

Police tell The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that a fight broke out at the Stonecrest Mall in Lithonia late Friday night after one man was upset that another man took his parking space.

They said two men started arguing, and one pulled out a knife and stabbed the other. The man who was stabbed then pulled out a handgun.

But police said the bullet missed the man who stabbed him and hit a woman standing nearby. Officials said none of the injuries was serious and the names of those involved were not immediately released.