Across Georgia

Teens charged with burning department


LAFAYETTE --- Officials say the water department in a north Georgia city was heavily damaged and years worth of records were destroyed when teens broke into the building and set it on fire early on New Year's Day.

Glenn Allen, a spokesman for Georgia Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner John Oxendine, estimated the blaze did $500,000 damage to the structure in LaFayette. He said all the records there were destroyed.

LaFayette City Manager Johnnie Arnold said the damage was limited to records such as work orders. Customer accounts are kept elsewhere.

Mr. Allen said two 15-year-old boys were arrested on charges of burglary, arson and criminal interference with government property.

Escalator riders fall after sudden stop

ATLANTA --- About a dozen people were injured when a crowded escalator at a downtown train station malfunctioned, sending riders tumbling down to the brick floor below.

Eleven people were treated for minor injuries at hospitals and released, said Joselyn Baker, a spokeswoman for the Metropolitan Rapid Transit Authority. The packed up-escalator began running backward before coming to a sudden stop, causing riders to lose their balance and fall, she said.

Yacht's faulty line leaks fuel into river

ST. MARYS --- An observant resident solved the mystery of a diesel fuel slick discovered last week in the St. Marys River.

Hours after investigators with the Georgia Department of Natural Resources speculated that diesel fuel floating near the St. Marys waterfront had washed in with the tide, they learned the source was not from a passing sea-going vessel.

David Lang, the dock master for Lang's Marina, said a friend called to tell him he was walking near the waterfront and saw the bilge pump of a 55-foot yacht, French Quarter, spewing fuel into the water.

Mr. Lang said he quickly repaired the leaking fuel line and called DNR officials to tell them he found the source of the slick.

Husband arrested in woman's death

STOCKBRIDGE --- Clayton County police have arrested and charged a man with the shooting death of his wife.

Capt. Greg Dickens said 42-year-old Antonio Bernard Gresham was arrested at the couple's Stockbridge home shortly after the shooting in the early hours of New Year's Eve. Authorities say Mr. Gresham shot 41-year-old Carol Young Gresham in the face during an argument.

Police records show the couple had a history of domestic trouble.

-- Edited from wire reports