WASHINGTON --- The late Rep. Charlie Norwood's family has donated nearly $700,000 of his leftover political fortune to nonprofit organizations such as Habitat for Humanity and the Medical College of Georgia.
Mr. Norwood, a seven-term congressman from Augusta, had $781,283 in his campaign account when he died in February, according to finance reports. Federal law allows a variety of uses for the money, including donations to charities or other political committees. In all, the contributions totaled $676,500, according to the reports.
Local organizations that received donations from the Norwood campaign account include:
- Project Access: $25,000
- Hope House of Augusta: $20,000
- Disabled American Veterans Auxiliary in Aiken: $15,000
- Lakeside Bible Chapel in Lincolnton, Ga.: $20,000
- Habitat for Humanity: $40,000
- Medical College of Georgia Foundation: $60,000
Source: Associated Press