UGA student accused of threats gets bond

ATHENS, Ga. - A former University of Georgia student who scared a professor and authorities with talk of guns and violence two weeks after the Virginia Tech massacre bonded out of jail Wednesday.


A Clarke County Superior Court judge granted 27-year-old Brandon Ginyard a $10,000 bond on the condition that he leaves the state and lives at his father's home outside of Los Angeles, gets mental health counseling and wears an ankle monitor.

Judge David Sweat granted Mr. Ginyard's bond request after a June 7 hearing, four weeks after an Athens-Clarke County Magistrate Court judge denied bond because she was worried about the safety of the upcoming UGA graduation.

UGA police said Mr. Ginyard first raised concerns on campus in October, when students complained that he had a gun and had threatened to kill himself and others.

He wasn't arrested then because police couldn't prove that he had broken any laws, but that changed April 30 when the MBA student met with the academic director of UGA's Terry College of Business and expressed concerns that he wouldn't graduate, according to police.

Mr. Ginyard, who police said was agitated, ended the meeting by saying, "Graduation doesn't matter. I will either be in jail or dead by May 11."

May 11 is the day before graduation, police said.

The administrator reported Mr. Ginyard's behavior to police and told officers that several students also had worried about Mr. Ginyard's page on the Facebook social networking Web site, where he posted photos of himself shooting an AK-47 assault rifle at a firing range.

Another photo was of the AK-47 next to a Glock .40-caliber semiautomatic pistol and box of ammunition.

Mr. Ginyard's meeting with the school administrator came two weeks after a mentally disturbed student killed 32 others and himself at Virginia Tech in one of the worst massacres in modern U.S. history.

About 12 hours after Mr. Ginyard met with the administrator, UGA police went to his apartment on North Avenue with a commitment order and a warrant to search for weapons.

Mr. Ginyard wouldn't answer his apartment door, and police officers let themselves in with a key and found him holding a Glock semiautomatic pistol, police said.

He dropped the gun when officers ordered him to and was arrested on two counts of aggravated assault on a police officer.

Officers found an extra loaded ammunition clip for the pistol in his pocket and seized from the apartment more than 100 rounds of ammunition, more gun clips and a paper target with apparent bullet holes, each labeled with the name of a business school course, according to police.

Mr. Ginyard was taken to East Central Regional Hospital in Augusta for psychological evaluation.

Mr. Ginyard's case hasn't gone to a grand jury.