Across Georgia

Singer to pay fine for speeding violation


CARTERSVILLE - Grammy winning R&B singer Usher has appeared in court to face a speeding citation after being pulled over last summer for driving more than 100 mph on Interstate 75.

The singer was found guilty of speeding Tuesday in Bartow County court and told to perform 20 hours of community service. Probate Court Judge Mitchell Scoggins also fined Usher $425.

After the ruling, Usher spent 30 minutes signing autographs for fans inside the courthouse, a representative of Judge Scoggins said.

Plane stowaway died from suffocation

ATLANTA - Authorities have determined that suffocation killed a young African man who hid in the wheel well of a Delta plane flying from Dakar, Senegal, to Atlanta.

Richard Rocha, a spokesman for Immigration and Customs Enforcement, said Thursday that the agency is still trying to establish the stowaway's identity.

His body was found Jan. 12 in the wheel well of the Delta flight when it landed at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. The man had a small backpack with a few clothes but was not carrying any identification.

Searchers find bodies of brothers in creek

MACON - Searchers have found the bodies of two brothers who had been missing since fleeing the scene of an accident last month.

The bodies of Daniel Landeverde, 18, and his brother, Jose Landeverde, 23, were found Wednesday in a creek. A third brother, Eduarvdo, 19, was found dead in the same area Monday. All three were from Mexico.

The brothers were last seen when they fled from a single-vehicle accident Dec. 23, authorities said.

Explosion at salvage shop closes highway

HULL - A workshop behind an auto salvage caught fire Wednesday night, sparking an explosion and shutting down U.S. Highway 29 into the night.

While firefighters worked to put out the flames, something exploded in the shop, setting off a series of blasts that residents heard miles away.

No one was injured.

The business, which is just north of Hull, uses the shop to cut up cars, according to Frank Edwards, a retired Hull fire chief at the scene.

- Edited from wire reports