SAVANNAH, Ga. — Health officials say a deadly mosquito-borne virus has been detected in a horse near Savannah.
The Chatham County Health Department says the horse tested positive for Eastern Equine Encephalitis, which causes swelling of the brain and is fatal to horses in 70 to 90 percent of cases.
Health officials in say no human cases have been reported and it’s rare for people to get infected. But they say the horse infection is a reminder that mosquitoes can remain active in coastal Georgia during fall months.
The health department says horse owners should vaccinate their animals and coastal residents should continue to empty standing water from outdoor containers every few days to reduce breeding by mosquitoes.