Bond denied for 2 suspects in slaying tied to gangs

2 accused in death of 16-year-old boy

Bond was denied Friday for a man and a teenager accused of being gang members and of involvement in a violent feud that led to the retaliation killing of a 16-year-old in Pepperidge in January.


Appearing before Superior Court Judge Bernard J. Mulherin Sr. just minutes apart, defense attorneys failed to persuade the judge to grant bond for Tyrone Reid Jr., 16, and Darian Deandre Postell, 19.

The two and their co-defendants are part of separate cases connected by a series of violent encounters that culminated with the fatal shooting of Brandon Taylor, 16.

Assistant District Attorney Falin Rogers told the court that Reid was driving in the Cambridge subdivision Jan. 25 with two other teens when they spotted Brandon Ira Le'Keith Helm and Marvin Major.

Rogers said Reid was a member of the Pepperidge Thugs gang and also identified with the Barton Village-based ODUB gang, while Helm and Major are members of the Georgia Deadly Boys gang.

Angry because of a fight at a birthday party two days before at the Gracewood Community Center, Reid fired at least two shots at Helm and Major but apparently missed, Rogers said.

Several hours later, police allege, Helm and Postell went to Taylor's home in Pepperidge. Postell stood across the street and acted as a lookout while Helm shot Taylor though his bedroom window, authorities said.

Taylor, who police said was a member of the Pepperidge Thugs, was hit in the stomach and died a short time later.

Several members of Taylor's family, wearing T-shirts emblazoned with his image and the words "Gone but not forgotten," were in court as Mulherin considered Postell's bond.

Taylor's mother, Robin Fuewell, said any bond set for Postell would be a huge mistake.

"These boys have taken my family through some pain that no one else in this room can imagine," Fuewell said. "If he is let out on bond, I think that would be the worst mistake made, other than the killing of my child."

Mulherin denied bond to both.

After the hearings, Fuewell and a woman identified as Reid's mother, whose name could not be verified, embraced in the courtroom. Tearful, the two could be heard telling each other: "I'm so sorry."