The Masters

Scores | Players | Course | News | Photos | Multimedia | Blog |

Masters champion Bubba Watson celebrates win at Augusta Waffle House

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:29 PM
Last updated 6:22 PM

Forget steak and lobster. A late-night Waffle House celebratory meal and Steak n’ Shake milkshake suited 2014 Masters champion Bubba Watson.

Back | Next
Masters Champion Bubba Watson tweeted a photo of his visit to Waffle House on Wheeler Road after winning the green jacket.  Special
Special

After winning the green jacket and $1.6 million, Watson feasted on a double grilled cheese with a side of hashbrowns scattered and covered at the Waffle House on Wheeler Road near Doctors Hospital. He also made an 11:55 p.m. trip to Steak n’ Shake off South Belair Road for six milkshakes.

The Waffle House counter was still buzzing Tuesday morning with chatter about the champion’s meal.

“Is it true Bubba Watson went to Waffle House?” one customer asked.

“Where’d he sit?” another inquired.

Hours after winning the golf tournament, Watson posted a “selfie” photo on Twitter of his meal with his wife, Angie, and several friends. The group sat in a booth near the windows.

“He just had a simple meal. He and his group had a good time,” unit manager Ken Knotts said.

Knotts was not working the third shift when Watson dined, but Waffle House’s communications policy prohibited employees other than management to speak to the media.

Watson’s green jacket was notably absent. His waiter did not know he was serving the Masters champion until the end of the meal when Watson asked the waiter to be in a photo, Knotts said.

A waitress told a customer Tuesday morning that Watson left a $148 tip on the bill. When asked to confirm the amount, Knotts declined to say how big the tip was but said three employees split the money.

“It was above and beyond what would have normally been shared,” Knotts said. “Bubba was just so gracious about everything.”

Steak n’ Shake franchise owner Preston Moss said Watson left a $24 tip on his milkshake bill.

lovingthesouth72
lovingthesouth72 04/15/14 - 03:47 pm
In his honor

The restaurant should name that order The BW in his honor!!

YeCats
YeCats 04/15/14 - 03:51 pm
And

a legend endures and grows.

Good on you, Bubba!

The Mick
The Mick 04/15/14 - 04:05 pm
Class act!

Class act!

myfather15
myfather15 04/15/14 - 04:09 pm
Awesome guy!! Absolutely acts

Awesome guy!! Absolutely acts like an average joe and I like that!! It was a good tip, but I would love to have seen an amazing story that he gave like a $1000.00 or more tip for those folks. They don't make much money.

curly123053
curly123053 04/15/14 - 04:23 pm
WTG Bubba !!

I would not have known about this if I had not heard the story on two different national talk radio shows. One stated he was criticized for subjecting his family to such an "unhealthy" meal afterwards. She was speaking in regards to childhood obesity for feeding his family and child. Anyone else hear about that? I thought that was a bunch of hogwash from the liberal woman as she was called, but I cannot recall her name. I say WTG Bubba !!

v4vendetta
v4vendetta 04/15/14 - 05:04 pm
Took forever to find this story locally

This made national headlines, not that it was that worthy of such accolades, but from a local viewpoint I was curious which one it was... Anyway, 2 days later, it is revealed to be the Waffle House in Evans Martinez?.... Guess late is better than never... Too bad not washington rd one or route 1 Clearwater... Lol

countyman
19731
countyman 04/15/14 - 05:20 pm
Waffle House

V4Vendetta.. The Waffle House is located in the Augusta Exchange area of West Augusta, but the Steak & Shake is off I-20 in Martinez..

Navy Gary
Navy Gary 04/15/14 - 06:21 pm
Way to go!

Way to go Bubba! You da MAN!!! Great Masters Champion!!

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 04/15/14 - 06:59 pm
Pays to be on Twitter, I

Pays to be on Twitter, I guess. Saw this after Bubba tweeted it and a couple of other places did. Great story and brings Bubba even closer to the "regular guy".

griff6035
griff6035 04/15/14 - 07:59 pm
Bubba/waffle.

Good for Bubba, I have eaten there, good food, nice Employes.

oldredneckman96
oldredneckman96 04/15/14 - 09:38 pm
Waffle House

I love to eat at W/H, but you can not eat at them in SC, we do not have any laws that stop smokers from stinking them up. Thank you Georgia, I drive across the state line to dine out.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 04/16/14 - 11:15 am
Thank you AC....

Thank you AC....

Young Fred
Young Fred 04/15/14 - 10:06 pm
Ya,

The Waffle House in Clearwater would have been the shiznit!

Probably would have been total anonymity! OK, I'm just kidding, spent a few years in Clearwater myself. OK, I'm not kidding.

Now if Bubba had just won the Bass Masters tournament, a peaceful meal he would've not had!

And there's nothing wrong with that! (that's all I have to say about that)

Young Fred
Young Fred 04/15/14 - 10:14 pm
curly...

... I heard the same thing, except it was through salon.com I think.

It's so fun outing those peeps for who they truly are! They really have no clue, trip, trip, tripping along, swallowing whole everything that's shoved down their throats...and liking it!

The days of true reporting is looooong gone! I'd hang my head in shame if I was such an unthinking parrot.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 04/15/14 - 11:46 pm
Bubba ate at Waffle House?

Amazing! I never knew golfers ate real food. I thought they all lived off fresh air!

Hey....ya know what?? I bet he went to the bathroom afterwards, too!

Just a hunch.

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 04/16/14 - 08:35 am
Bubba's A Keeper !

A gem of a guy. Down home. Grass roots if there is such a thing, in this day and time. I'll have to add him to my follow-list. BTW: Whomever it is that is giving a "thumbs down" to all of these posts - you're kidding, right?

jimmymac
jimmymac 04/16/14 - 09:23 am
BUBBA

Bubba has the everyman charisma that Arnie and lefty have. I for one hope he wins more Masters and becomes one of the greatest of all time. I saw the woman on TV complaining about Bubba's dining choice and all I can saw is mind your own business. It's refreshing to see a guy like Bubba and do you think Tiger would ever mingle with the masses?

corgimom
corgimom 04/16/14 - 10:05 am
Considering that he won the

Considering that he won the Masters, I think he can handle a meal at the Waffle House. He looks pretty physically fit to me.

Waffle House meals are the same meals that people have been eating for over one hundred years- it's not unhealthy when it's part of a balanced diet and for people getting exercise.

gbhs
gbhs 04/16/14 - 02:13 pm
Watson

Not to be a party pooper but Bubba is not the man many believe he is. Many people in media and golf will tell you he is one of the biggest jerks behind the scenes. You saw a bit of this when he berated his caddie in a tournament last year. That, unfortunately, is how he treats many people. I did not want to believe it until I experienced a bit of this myself. He is an amazing talent though.

stuaby
stuaby 04/16/14 - 08:57 pm
Gage Creed, I can't read any

Gage Creed, I can't read any of your posts w/o thinking about that Super Bee.