Schools to probe how scalpers got system's Masters badges

The Richmond County Board of Education has launched an investigation to determine how Masters Tournament badges that were supposed to go to local students ended up being sold to scalpers.

The badges were confiscated by authorities at the Augusta National at the gate.

"I have been told that the system is aware of this and that they are currently investigating to ascertain facts and information," said Louis Svehla, spokesman for the Richmond County Board of Education. "At this time, not much is known, but there will be information available pending the outcome of the investigation."

The badges were part of a group given to the school board every year to distribute to students.

bettyboop
bettyboop 04/11/11 - 10:51 am
whoa!.....This could be very

whoa!.....This could be very interesting................

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/11/11 - 10:54 am
Yep.....let the chips fall..

Yep.....let the chips fall..

Sweet son
Sweet son 04/11/11 - 11:00 am
Don't suppose some of them

Don't suppose some of them were used by adults, do you?

Taylor B
Taylor B 04/11/11 - 11:06 am
Uh, probably because kids

Uh, probably because kids care way more about money than golf. Heck, Im 31 and feel the same way.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/11/11 - 11:32 am
It would be interesting if

It would be interesting if badges given to Richmond County government officials were traced.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 04/11/11 - 12:05 pm
Can't wait to see how they

Can't wait to see how they wiggle out of this...

blackindependent
blackindependent 04/11/11 - 12:19 pm
I just want to know what

I just want to know what students are authorized tickets, how are they chosen, are they chosen by name or school.

For MY money, that is a lot more relevant than how teh scalpers got them.

Just might be a larger scandal here than first blush.

jackragg
jackragg 04/11/11 - 12:43 pm
I agree with BlackInd. My

I agree with BlackInd. My first question was, what is the criteria they use to determine which students receive the badges? Are there guidelines set by The Nationals and are they being followed? I mean other than don't scalp them of course.

localman
localman 04/11/11 - 12:47 pm
I don't see how the students

I don't see how the students ever could have gotten the badges. It seems unlikely that a group of students or students' parents all sold the tickets to scalpers. one or two maybe, but not all.

Chillen
Chillen 04/11/11 - 01:14 pm
Government incompetence,

Government incompetence, that's how. The Augusta National should cut them off.

soldout
soldout 04/11/11 - 01:18 pm
It is called greed and a

It is called greed and a shortage of character......oh, sorry, I forgot , character doesn't matter anymore. Since character is usually a product of spiritual conviction and that can't be a part of the education system anymore this is too easy to understand.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/11/11 - 03:10 pm
Thinking about this, nothing

Thinking about this, nothing will come of it because some of the county officials who are given badges do the same thing. Remember when I brought this subject up before?

Einstein
Einstein 04/11/11 - 04:18 pm
Riverman, Austin just read

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 04/11/11 - 04:25 pm
Greed, greed, greed. That is

Greed, greed, greed. That is the sole reason these problems come up with these badges. I was able to go to the tournament this year, and I just can't see how anyone would want to risk losing the badges for the sake of money...but, Taylor B is right in that not everyone cares about going to the tournament. Yeah, this is going to get interesting and I hope the paper follows up on it and doesn't lose this story.

Einstein
Einstein 04/11/11 - 04:44 pm
Just, I understand your

Just, I understand your viewpoint, but have you considered that the people selling the tickets might not be able to go every single year, and the tickets should be theirs to do with as they please? Someone willing to pay $10k plus obviously is a die hard fan of the game and wants to go badly. This practice of selling badges is also legal, so, it's a victimless crime, if one can even consider it a crime. Anyway, I know that ultimately, it's up to the Augusta National, so, nome of our opinions on this matter anyway... I think that everything is working like it should. They will fond a way to fix this, I'm sure.

PR
PR 04/11/11 - 05:44 pm
Nothing new here. Richmond

Nothing new here. Richmond County BOE is as corrupt as Augusta-Richmond county government. Taxpayers continue to get ripped off by the folks who supposedly represent them. Every politician in Augusta needs to be thrown out in the street and start over. Start with Deke,who doesn't do anything but smile and act stupid, and his pet monkey Fred.

PR
PR 04/11/11 - 05:47 pm
Just think how wonderful a

Just think how wonderful a town Augusta would be if the Augusta National, and the Masters, didn't exist. If the Master is so great, why do a lot of locals leave town during Masters Week? Happiness is Augusta in your rearview mirror.

clumber
clumber 04/11/11 - 06:30 pm
The cover up for this should

The cover up for this should be amusing, at the least. Watch the finger pointing! See if any facts are produced, or more smoke, mirrors and a wand.

corgimom
corgimom 04/11/11 - 07:20 pm
If the Augusta National was

If the Augusta National was asked to provide the school board with badges to be given to students, and they weren't given to students but sold for someone to profit from, that's not a victimless crime.

That's dishonesty, a premeditated crime, and theft.

Although there are some who prefer to call deliberately- committed crimes "mistakes": as in, "I made a mistake, my mistake is that I got caught. Before I got caught, I thought everything was just fine and dandy."

Pu239
Pu239 04/11/11 - 08:36 pm
PR... bu-bye! bless your

PR... bu-bye! bless your heart!

Einstein
Einstein 04/11/11 - 10:03 pm
Corgimom, sorry, I may not

Corgimom, sorry, I may not have been clear.... I meant that legal ticket owners should be able to sell tickets. Concerning the BOE tickets, I stated that The National will come up with a solution to the problem of unscrupulous coaches (or whomever is responsible for the sold tickets).

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 04/11/11 - 11:22 pm
I'll bet the scalper's

I'll bet the scalper's tickets never made it into the hands of the students.

BornInAUG
BornInAUG 04/12/11 - 06:52 am
PR there's something you can

PR there's something you can do about it, LEAVE. The better question is, "If Augusta is so awful, and happiness is Augusta in your rearview mirror, why are you still here?" Or if you're not still here, why do you care to read the AC? Sounds like someone's still waiting on THEIR invitation to The Tournament.

WW1949
WW1949 04/12/11 - 07:36 am
PR just doesn't have any

PR just doesn't have any sense if he thinks The Masters Tournament is not good for Augusta. I think the initials mean profoundaly retarted.

bettyboop
bettyboop 04/12/11 - 08:13 am
suzyQ...I'm willing to bet my

suzyQ...I'm willing to bet my Aunt Myrtle that you are right...........

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/12/11 - 08:44 am
Einstein said, "Riverman,

Einstein said, "Riverman, Austin just read your posting on the radio. Nobody remembers. Please enlighten us!"

Einstein, this is an issue I brought up a year or so ago.

Various county officials (Commissioners and others) are given Masters' badges presumably because they are representing the county in an official capacity. If we are going to check, and we should, how the badges for these kids were misdirected, we should also ensure the badges given to officials representing the county are not sold or given to others. Masters' officials should double check the ticket with the patron for these special tickets at the least.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/12/11 - 08:51 am
I didn't hear Austin's show

I didn't hear Austin's show yesterday, but I know he has brought up in the past that he was given tickets when he was on the Coliseum Authority to events held there as justification of the Masters badges. That's something I have no problem with.

He went to events to see how the coliseum operated in his official capacity representing the citizens. I also have no problem if county officials attend the Masters using the tickets intended for that. They represent the county. I do have a problem if, as with the kids, the badges end up in the hands of others. That's diverting country resources in my opinion.

DawgnSC69
DawgnSC69 04/12/11 - 09:05 am
I'm curious to know how many

I'm curious to know how many tickets we're talking here.
If the schools were given a 100 and 2 were sold to scalpers, then I would say a student or the student's parents sold them. If most or all were sold then I would have to say somone in the school system flipped them to a scalper.

dani
dani 04/12/11 - 01:24 pm
Since some badges were

Since some badges were confiscated the people (who probably bought theirs in good faith) would surely tell authorities where the purchase was made.

BornInAUG
BornInAUG 04/12/11 - 12:01 pm
As far as County officials

As far as County officials go, I saw Deke on the course on Friday, spoke to him and shook his hand.