Washington Road exit ramps reopen for Masters traffic

Monday, April 4, 2011 7:21 AM
Last updated 9:38 AM

Washington Road exit ramps have reopened off I-20, traffic officials said at 9:30 a.m., as motorists continue to arrive for the 2011 Masters Tournament practice rounds.

"It's calmed down some," said Georgia Department of Transportation Spokeswoman Cissy McNure.

Officials also report that B-lot was full at 8:30 a.m.

Traffic flow remains smooth with golf traffic headed east diverted onto Stanley Drive toward free parking. Deputies are assisted by parking attendants wearing neon green vests, who appear to be quickly shepherding cars into even rows.

To check traffic online, the city has offered web cameras at www.augustatraffic.com.

Parking lots are filling up fast, but there is still plenty of open field left.
People are walking toward Gate 6 in groups of 10 to 20, politely ignoring the vendors yelling "badge holders, badge holders."

Bonk
Bonk 04/04/11 - 09:17 am
WGAC has cancelled the Neil

WGAC has cancelled the Neil boortz show to cover a practice round on a Monday! I swear to Christ this place is bizarro world!

reader54
reader54 04/04/11 - 09:39 am
Tragic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tragic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

etlinks
20922
etlinks 04/04/11 - 12:23 pm
WGAC has traffic updates and

WGAC has traffic updates and with off ramp closings I'm sure they wanted to keep Augusta drivers informed. They do a great job at WGAC.

Sweet son
Sweet son 04/04/11 - 01:00 pm
I think that their FCC

I think that their FCC license charges them with providing info to the public about dangerous situations. Rearending someone on I-20 at 60 or 70 miles per hour is pretty dangerous. I do get your point Bonk, some just take it a little to the extreme.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 04/04/11 - 02:22 pm
I drove I-20 W on my home

I drove I-20 W on my home from work. Everyone ignored the sign that said take the Riverwatch exit and caused a traffic jam and accident, It's not Augusta's fault, it's the ignorant people that ignored the signs. Riverwatch was free and clear. I kinda felt sorry for the people sitting on I-20 next to their wrecked car, they were probably looking forward to a great day at the masters.

Group demands hearing on commissioner appointment

City leaders appeared to warm to a request Monday by the West Augusta Alliance to hold one or more public hearings before appointing an interim District 7 commissioner to serve until Donnie ...