AUGUSTA LYNX OWNERSHIP TIMELINE
SEPT. 4, 1997: The Augusta Richmond County Coliseum Authority voted to spend almost $1 million to install an ice floor in the civic center, clearing the way for a minor league hockey team.
FEB. 26, 1998: Team owner George Gillespie unveiled the Augusta Lynx name and logo. Gillespie purchased the Raleigh Ice Caps in June of 1998 with the intentions of moving the team to Augusta.
OCT. 15, 1998: The first Augusta Lynx game was a win for the home team. The Lynx beat the Jacksonville Lizard Kings 9-5 in front of 7,151 fans.
NOV. 22, 2002: Gillespie introduced Augusta Ice Sports Center co-owner Pete Budwick as a minority owner of the Lynx. Budwick was the team's first local owner.
SEPT. 24, 2003: The ECHL approved the sale of the Augusta Lynx to Augusta Entertainment LLC, a local ownership group led by local car dealership owner Frank Lawrence. The new ownership group, which purchased the team for just over $1 million, also included William S. Morris III, chairman and chief executive officer of Morris Communications Co., and publisher of The Augusta Chronicle.
APRIL 20, 2006: The ECHL approved the sale of the Augusta Lynx to the Group Operating the Augusta Lynx (G.O.A.L.) from Augusta Entertainment LLC. The new ownership group was led by local businessman Dan Troutman, and Jan Hodges Burch and Robert Burch.
DEC. 2, 2008: At a news conference, ownership announced their intentions to fold the team, saying they turned in their membership to the ECHL at 5 p.m.
FORMER ECHL TEAMS
- Augusta Lynx (1998-2008)
- Arkansas RiverBlades (1999-2003)
- Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullies (2001-05)
- Baton Rouge Kingfish (1996-2003)
- Birmingham Bulls (1992-2001)
- Chesapeake Icebreakers (1997-99)
- Columbus Chill (1991-99)
- Columbus (Ga.) Cottonmouths* (2001-04)
- Erie Panthers (1988-96)
- Greensboro Generals* (1999-2004)
- Greensboro Monarchs (1989-95)
- Greenville Grrrowl* (1998-2006)
- Hampton Roads Admirals (1989-2000)
- Huntington Blizzard (1993-2000)
- Huntsville Blast (1993-94)
- Jackson Bandits (1999-2003)
- Jacksonville Lizard Kings (1995-2000)
- Knoxville Cherokees (1988-97)
- Lexington Men O' War (2002-03)
- Long Beach Ice Dogs* (1993-2007)
- Louisiana IceGators* (1995-2005)
- Louisville IceHawks (1990-94)
- Louisville River Frogs (1995-98)
- Macon Whoopee (2001-02)
- Miami Matadors (1998-99)
- Mobile Mysticks (1995-2002)
- Nashville Knights (1989-96)
- New Orleans Brass (1997-2002)
- Pee Dee Pride (1997-2005)
- Pensacola Ice Pilots* (1996-2008)
- Peoria Rivermen (1996-2005)
- Raleigh IceCaps (1991-98)
- Richmond Renegades (1990-2003)
- Roanoke Express* (1993-2004)
- San Diego Gulls* (2003-06)
- Tallahassee Tiger Sharks (1994-2001)
- Texas Wildcatters (2003-08)
- Virginia Lancers (1988-93)
- Winston-Salem Thunderbirds (1988-92)
* denotes franchise revoked
AREA TEAMS THAT HAVE DISBANDED
Nov. 1995: Augusta Drive, American Major Basketball League
April 2000-August 2002: Augusta Stallions, Arenafootball2 League*
March 2006-June 2006: Augusta Spartans, American Indoor Football League
February 2007: Augusta Spartans, World Indoor Football League**
May 2007-August 2007: Aiken Foxhounds, South Coast Independent League
March 2008-June 2008: Augusta Colts, American Indoor Football Association^
*Suspended operations after three seasons
**Team changed leagues