Augusta rally protests abortion on anniversary of Roe v. Wade

About 100 people gathered in the pouring rain to protest abortion in front of a pregnancy center in Augusta on Saturday afternoon, marking the 39th anniversary of Roe v. Wade.

Back | Next
Mike Molitor and other anti-abortion protesters gather along Walton Way Extension in Augusta. About 100 people gathered for the rally Saturday.  MICHAEL HOLAHAN/STAFF
MICHAEL HOLAHAN/STAFF

The Supreme Court decision establishing a Constitutional right to abortion was passed in 1973. Since then, rallies have happened rain or shine on that day.

“How are we going to make good decisions in later in life if we aren’t given the chance?” said Father Scott Winchel, the parochial vicar of St. Mary on the Hill Catholic Church. “The most important thing is life.”

People wielding signs and wooden crosses stood on the corner of Walton Way Extension, Scott Nixon Boulevard and Pleasant Home Road. Most were sharing umbrellas and covered in rain gear.

Don Small, of Augusta, said he thought a lot more people would have been there if it had not been raining so hard.

But, the ones who showed up were told it was not about hate, but education.

“This is so instructional,” said the Rev. Mike Freed, the pastor of Ascension Lutheran Church. “It’s about a mission.”

In past years, the rally took place in front of Planned Parenthood in downtown Augusta, but it was moved to the west Augusta offices of the Augusta Care Pregnancy Center, a Christian nonprofit that provides free pregnancy testing, parenting classes and post-abortion support groups.

The move is intended to direct attention to the resources available in the community, said Gary Garner, the leader of “pro-life” activities for the Alleluia Community.

crkgrdn
crkgrdn 01/21/12 - 07:20 pm
Those who drove by and showed

Those who drove by and showed support by honking their horns or waving and smiling, thanks for your support. I was soaked but happy that my act will have caused folks to think about this tragedy. In this great country we can challenge injustice and remind people of a moral standard informed by Natural Law, whose author is the artist of all creation, even the fat rain that we so sorely need.

stillamazed
stillamazed 01/21/12 - 08:00 pm
People should put as much

People should put as much passion in worrying about their own families and stay out of other peoples private business. What makes you think you can control the world and everyone in it? I am not an abortion advocate but I would rather see a woman do it safely than with clothes hangers in a nasty room like they did prior to the Supreme Court making it legal. Many women died from botched abortions but I suppose that doesn't bother you. This law will never be overturned and it never should. If a woman feels a need to have an abortion then that is between her and GOD, not any of us. I happen to believe that God is a loving and forgiving God so who are we to judge the decision of another person? With that said, women and men please practice safe sex and then there will be no need for all these abortions. I certainly do not condone abortion as a form of birth control when you can get birth control for free at the health department.

corgimom
corgimom 01/21/12 - 08:33 pm
100 people out of a strongly

100 people out of a strongly religious, conservative county of 200,000 residents.

And the Republican Party STILL wants to focus on abortion.

And how interesting that people who supposedly feel so strongly against abortion wouldn't come to the protest- because it was raining. Take a look at the next UGA game when it is raining, and see how many people brave the rain. The rain wouldn't have made a difference if people really cared.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 01/21/12 - 08:37 pm
stillamazed, why do you

stillamazed, why do you assume the protesters don't put passion into worrying about their own families? Bet you dollars to doughnuts they do. If you have an issue with these folk's peaceful protest, you must loathe those Occupy nuts.

Bonk
Bonk 01/21/12 - 08:48 pm
I just wondering why in the

I just wondering why in the world would anyone wish to return to pre-1973? Poor women putting their lives in danger and weathly women catching a plane for Europe. I guess their hearts are in the right place; just not well thought out.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 01/21/12 - 11:23 pm
Poor women killing babies and

Poor women killing babies and rich women flying so they can kill babies. Yep. Gotta make sure we don't make murder inconvenient. It's not right to make killing an innocent person too difficult for us, is it?

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 01/21/12 - 11:45 pm
Yeah, it's my private

Yeah, it's my private business if I want to terminate an innocent human life, and no one has the right to tell me otherwise. Who are WE to judge a person for killing another -- wait a minute. We have laws against that very thing don't we? Now, we have folks that demand punishment if a neighbor gets killed, but then they demand the RIGHT to kill their own child? That's not judging. That's just plain hypocrisy and insanity. Man, what is this world coming to?

Bonk
Bonk 01/21/12 - 11:55 pm
Not sure what you mean by

Not sure what you mean by murder. The law says abortion is legal. Murder is an illegal act.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 01/22/12 - 12:36 am
What does the Bible say about

What does the Bible say about murder? That's what really matters.

Bonk
Bonk 01/22/12 - 02:33 am
Luckily, for all of us what

Luckily, for all of us what matters are laws passed by representatives we elect. I wouldn't let a surgeon operate on me if the only training he had was a book written in the iron age. Yet people want to pattern their ways of life on a book written in the iron age by uneducated people in the middle east. The bible just may be the most cruel, inhumane book ever written. We as a species are slowly but surely growing up. Looks like we still have a long way to go.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/22/12 - 10:17 am
Bonk, the problem with you

Bonk, the problem with you comment is that you are misinformed. It is your opinon that the bible is a cruel, inhumane book, which is your right to have, but doesn't make it correct. I have found it to contain a lot of wisdom, love, and compassion. I would urge you to actually read and study this book written by "uneducated middle east people" along with history books on these ancient people. I think you will find that actually they were extremely intelligent individuals.

Bonk
Bonk 01/22/12 - 02:03 pm
I have read and studied the

crkgrdn
crkgrdn 01/22/12 - 02:26 pm
"I am not sure what you mean

"I am not sure what you mean by murder." "I don't know what you mean by life." "I don't know what you mean... and so on."

This is indeed an interesting discussion; do you anything about what has meaning? What a pity, so much energy and so little is your world.

Stop The Censorship
Stop The Censorship 01/22/12 - 03:51 pm
A zygote is NOT an

A zygote is NOT an individual. It is a cluster of undifferentiated cells which has the POTENTIAL to become an individual. This is a bogus issue that is continually exploited by people who couldn't care less about protecting zygotes. What they really care about is taking away a woman's right to choose.

I am so sick of hearing the anti-choice groups blathering on about "babies." I mean, they support policies that hurt children once they are here...ending welfare, WIC, etc. I just don't get it. How can a group be so concerned about a fetus but then ignore the development of the actual, living breathing child? It makes no sense to me at all.

Abortion is a horrible choice for someone to have to make. It's generally used after an assault or the failure of birth control. That includes a condom breaking, birth control pills not working (they're not 100% effective), etcetera. No one goes "I'm just gonna sleep around without any protection and then just use an abortion! Easy!" abortion is very expensive, still dangerous, and a horrific decision that often lands women in therapy.

Bonk
Bonk 01/22/12 - 04:18 pm
Excellent post, STC.

Excellent post, STC. Everytime I see anti abortion protests I think of the Monty Python song, "every sperm is sacred".

Bizkit
Bizkit 01/22/12 - 05:32 pm
Many people who are secular

Many people who are secular still find abortion morally bankrupt-otherwise your saying all secular people are morally bankrupt. I just love America is a country where people have the right to protest abortion or any other topic. STC by your definition a full term baby would not be an individual because a newborn has yet to differentiate its lungs, brain, nerve-muscle interactions, immune system, etc. It is called development biology of which embryology is only a part. All life is stages starting from a zygote to conceptus to newborn to adolescent to adult to senesce with age. Making capricious and arbitrary lines doesn't follow biology or evolution. Life begats life. Sure it can die anytime. I recognize the biology and appreciate the theology but still I support the physicians right to perform abortions. The SCOTUS supported the women's right to privacy which gave tacit approval of abortion. Abortion wasn't the issue but the right to privacy-the case was related to abortion

Bizkit
Bizkit 01/22/12 - 05:39 pm
I appreciate a women's right

I appreciate a women's right to privacy and reproductive freedom, but in todays world I don't understand the high rate of abortions in the US. Obviously education and better access to birth control would be a logical measure to reduce abortions-because abortion shouldn't be a form of birth control because of inherit risks. What is really sad is places like Africa where the death rate from botched abortions is really really high.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/23/12 - 05:39 pm
Bonk wrote “I have read and

Bonk wrote “I have read and studied the bible more than you'll ever know. One of my heros is John Shelby Spong, an episcopalian bishop and a fellow of the Jesus seminar. He has authored many books and papers and I suggest you read his "Rescuing the Bible From Fundamentalism"

Bonk, there is only one book I need to read and study and that is the Holy Bible. If your hero is a man who claims to be a “Christian” but denies the virgin birth of Christ, the bodily resurrection of Christ from the grave, and claims Jesus was the adopted son of God, then Mr. Spong is no Christian. He can have all the religious schooling, he can write as many papers as he wishes, but he is still lost as a ball in tall grass. If you have studied the Bible then you should know what it says about becoming a follower of Christ (A Christian). Christ was beaten beyond recognition, nailed to a cross and allowed to hang there for hours until he died for my sins and YOUR sins. If you don't see that as love, you are blind. Then He rose from a grave that could not hold Him and calls us to be "adopted" into the family of God so that we may live eternally with Him. If you don't see that as love, you are blind. You can sugar coat scripture all you like to make you feel better and you can refuse to see that all through history things were done for one purpose and that was to make a way for our Savior to come to earth, die, and be resurrected so that none of us should perish in eternal torment but in the end God's Word will always remain truth.

Bizkit
Bizkit 01/23/12 - 11:08 pm
I've read Bishop Spong. I

I've read Bishop Spong. I wouldn't call him a christian-he doesn't believe in theism. NO GOD, NO Christ, he might as well be Buddhist.
He is basicaly Anti-Christ. Basically a secular humanist-believes in Darwin and doesn't believe the bible. The moron doesn't realize you can believe in both-like a founder of the Modern Synthesis of Evolution Theodosius Dobzhansky.

trishs
trishs 01/24/12 - 05:06 pm
Where to start with the

Where to start with the arguments people have to support abortion? It's legal. So was slavery. Don't judge and what other people do is their business. So if someone wants to beat their child or starve their elderly parent, or anything else that's cruel against another living person, it should be their business? Women died having illegal abortions so legal is better. A very small percentage of women who had illegal abortions died. Nearly 100 percent of babies who undergo abortion die (millions since Roe v Wade). Since when does something being dangerous if done illegally mean it should be legal?