Anti-abortion activists to hold prayer rally Saturday in west Augusta

Hundreds of men, women and children who oppose abortion will gather for a prayer rally outside a Christian pregnancy center in Augusta on Saturday, one day before the 39th anniversary of Roe v. Wade.

The 1973 Supreme Court decision established a constitutional right to abortion.

Anti-abortion activists will line the streets at the intersection of Walton Way Extension, Scott Nixon Boulevard and Pleasant Home Road. In previous years, the rally has been held in front of a Planned Parenthood clinic on Broad Street.

This year, it was relocated to the west Augusta offices of the Augusta Care Pregnancy Center, a Christian nonprofit that provides free pregnancy testing, parenting classes and post-abortion support groups.

The move is intended to direct attention to the resources available in the community, said Gary Garner, the leader of “pro-life” activities for the Alleluia Community, an ecumenical Christian community in south Augusta.

“We’re not protesters,” he said. “We’re not hollering at people. We’re standing up for the sanctity of life. We won’t be giving people a hard time, but we are encouraging people to come stand up with us.”

The Alleluia Music Ministry will lead praise and worship music. Three speakers, moderated by Alleluia elder Bob Garrett, will address the crowd.

Dan Almeter, who is also an elder of the Alleluia community, the Rev. Scott Winchel, the parochial vicar of St. Mary on the Hill Catholic Church, and the Rev. Mike Freed, the pastor of Ascension Lutheran Church, will speak.

The prayer rally goes on rain or shine, Garner said.

“We’ve been rained on pretty well, but we have a diligent group,” he said.

Garner welcomes anyone to join the group in prayer, regardless of background or beliefs.

“We’re seeing a cross-section of people in recent years. We’re encouraged that more and more people have been joining us,” he said. “We obviously disagree with abortion, but we welcome anybody, regardless of whether they agree with us. The only thing that will change abortion in this country is the love of Jesus, so we’ll be there, praying.”

IF YOU GO

WHAT: Pro-Life Prayer Rally

WHEN: 2 to 3:15 p.m. Saturday

WHERE: The intersection of Walton Way Extension, Scott Nixon Boulevard and Pleasant Home Road

LEARN MORE: Call (706) 793-8090

hockeyplayer
hockeyplayer 01/17/12 - 09:53 pm
This is great. Saving

This is great. Saving children is a super cause! Please pray that hearts will be softened and turn toward God's saving grace and mercy. As Michael Jackson put it, the children are our future! I add, please let them live!

grouse
grouse 01/17/12 - 10:34 pm
Interesting how the reporter

Interesting how the reporter knows that hundreds will attend this rally before it happens...

jackrussell
jackrussell 01/18/12 - 05:12 am
How about all that energy to

How about all that energy to focus on children who have been born and need help and guidance? Those children are our future and right now, many of them are raping, robbing, and murdering. Why don't you folks try to help them? They are already here.

FormerAugustaResident
FormerAugustaResident 01/18/12 - 08:03 am
JackR - I am proud to say my

JackR - I am proud to say my grandchildren are adopted. I also work (as a volunteer) in the town in which I live in the judicial court system advocating for children who have been removed from their home.

And...I am firmly against abortion.

From where do you get the ridiculous idea that "you folks" (?) don't help children in need?

What are you doing to help?

hockeyplayer
hockeyplayer 01/18/12 - 09:13 pm
Many of the people who will

Many of the people who will be praying for the unborn children are also the same people who volunteer throughout Augusta.

Feel free to join us in prayer and in deed. There is power in numbers. This is in prayers as well as setting a mature example to the youth.

Leading by example is a great way to help reduce the rapes, robberies and murders. It can start with you jackrussell. So we welcome you just like we welcome the lives of the unborn into this world.

Can we count on you to come and pray for the softening of the hearts of those who commit all of these deeds - abortion, rape, robbery and murder? Come and help us turn people toward God and His wonderful mercy and grace.

Abbynoll
Abbynoll 01/21/12 - 06:42 am
I just have to say that if

I just have to say that if even one woman changes her stance on abortion then it is well worth their efforts.

Cadence
Cadence 01/21/12 - 11:09 am
I once needed a pregnancy

I once needed a pregnancy test to get a really crappy job that was all I could get at the time. Probably illegal to require me to do that, but I was in desperate need of a job. Teenager. No money. I went to Planned Parenthood for a free test. (There was no way, I mean NO way I was with child and I would never abort one under any circumstances) I just had to have negative test results to present to the work place. I was met at the door of PP by women pleading with me not to abort my baby, citing scripture that I already knew and in general mobbing me. I explained the job thing, the virgin thing, the need for a free test but they would not listen! They just continued insisting I was there to abort my baby. It was terrible, humiliating, my life was terrible, they just made it worse. I respect their standing up for baby's rights, but their tactics can sometimes be offensive. Had I been pregnant and seeking an abortion, their mobbing me would only have driven me inside the building for help. They frightened me. All I am saying is some of them might want to soften their way of speaking to the women who they seek to help. That's all.

crkgrdn
crkgrdn 01/21/12 - 11:21 am
We have been and will

We have been and will continue to help children in need. When people of the cloth in some Christian sects proclaim abortion a gift from God, we should be given pause. Life is a gift that has so often lost its value in a culture of death.

I am one who will be at the vigil today, and, with this rain I may be one of a few, but I will be there standing for life and love.

URA votes to issue bonds for Municipal Building renovation

Augusta's Urban Redevelopment Agency agreed Thursday to issue nearly $27 million in revenue bonds to raise up to $28.5 million in cash for ongoing renovations and a new information technology ...