Islamic Society of Augusta honors families who made pilgrimage to Mecca

Back | Next
Waranga Wassimi (right) and her husband, Nasrat Wassimi, talk about their recent pilgrimage to Mecca.  MICHAEL HOLAHAN/STAFF
MICHAEL HOLAHAN/STAFF

A month or two ago, Waranga Wassimi didn’t often wear the head scarf commonly worn by fellow female Muslims.

That has changed since she returned from the Hajj, the pilgrimage to Mecca undertaken by all Muslims who are able at some point in their lifetime.

Wassimi and her husband, Nasrat, were one of seven local families to take the journey this year. A reception was held in their honor Friday night at the Islamic Society of Augusta.

It’s a blessing to have so many Hajjis, Imam Majed Sabke said. “They are an example to the community,” he said.

Most traveled to the holy cities of Mecca and Medina in Saudi Arabia from Nov. 28 to Dec. 10.

“Ours were express (trips),” Wassimi said. “Some people go for months.”

Either way, it makes for a life-changing journey, she said.

“It was amazing there. It was such a beautiful place,” Wassimi said. “We prayed most of the time.”

Wassimi also shopped for items to bring home, including a Quran and prayer rug.

“It changed me,” she said. “Before I wouldn’t wear my head scarf often. Before I was rushing though my prayers. Now, I pray with all my heart. I wear my head scarf. People can see I’m Muslim, and it makes me proud.”

The generosity and goodwill Faheem Nusrat witnessed was “inspiring,” he said.

The Grovetown resident and his wife spent three days in Medina and nine days in Mecca. They visited the Kaaba, the most sacred site in Islam, at midnight, thinking they would avoid the crowds. But there were millions of pilgrims there praying, regardless of the time of day, Nusrat said.

Name a country, and pilgrims from that place could be found in Mecca.

“The link between them was God,” he said.

bjphysics
bjphysics 12/10/11 - 12:44 am
I await the hate.

I await the hate.

nycweeks
nycweeks 12/10/11 - 02:57 am
Wait on...

Wait on...

sjsavage67
sjsavage67 12/10/11 - 06:59 am
Is this really news? I for

Is this really news? I for one am awfully tired of hearing how wonderful and spiritual Islam is. Fine they like it. Good for them. But do we really have to hear about it. No other religion gets this sort of good press.

What is not mentioned here is that non-Muslims are not allowed in Mecca. There is an exit especially for infidels when one approaches the city. I think that is bigoted and not at all in keeping what I would consider spiritual or tolerant. Jews or any citizenship can not enter "The Kingdom" of Saudi Arabia, the Vatican City of Islam. That's all I really need to know about the wonders of Islam.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/10/11 - 07:37 am
I wonder if the Jehovah

I wonder if the Jehovah Witnesses ever knock on their door?

I'm going to take a trip to Six Flags soon with another Southern Baptist. Maybe the Chronicle will do a story on it in the spirit of promoting tolerance and harmony? Lots of people don't like me and this may help me. Southern Baptists don't have it easy. Last Sunday, I was in church and felt the spirit so much I've decided I'll only drink in private from now on. Let the world know I'm a Southern Baptist.

copperhead
copperhead 12/10/11 - 07:47 am
Where is the story about the

Where is the story about the two catholics that visited the vatican city while on vacation? Shouldn't they be praised and idolized also? Going a LITTLE overboard to embrace the muslims,aren't we? Think this will show islam just how understanding and tolerant we are?

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/10/11 - 07:51 am
This is what Australia

This is what Australia sez...

Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on Wednesday to get out of Australia , as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks.

Separately, Kevin angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by saying he supported spy agencies monitoring the nation`s mosques. Quote: `IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT. Take It Or Leave It. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians.`

`This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom`

`We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society . Learn the language!`

`Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.`

`We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us.`

`This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, `THE RIGHT TO LEAVE`.`

AMEN..

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/10/11 - 07:53 am
Pleeeeze let us vote in a

Pleeeeze let us vote in a President next year who will have some GUTS..tosay this....

AMEN..

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/10/11 - 08:09 am
SeenIt, the muslims could do

SeenIt, the muslims could do a good job blending into America if they tried. They sort of look Mexican and could just tell everyone they are illegals and they would be accepted.

bjphysics
bjphysics 12/10/11 - 08:40 am
I can only think of two

I can only think of two religions that have earned the label “religion of peace”: Bahá'í Faith & Jainism.

In fact, Jains could be thought of as peace fanatics: no steaks or insecticide.

bjphysics
bjphysics 12/10/11 - 08:58 am
seenitB4: “This is what

seenitB4:

“This is what Australia sez...” & “Separately, Kevin…”

The Australian government never adopted or stated its intent to adopt any of these policies and the words attributed to Kevin Rudd were NEVER spoken by him. It’s an internet hoax.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/10/11 - 09:02 am
BJ, about your two religions

BJ, about your two religions you say have earned the peace label, if I smacked one those folks around he wouldn't respond?

No fair bringing Snopes into anything. That takes the fun out.

bjphysics
bjphysics 12/10/11 - 09:02 am
Riverman1: “…muslims…sort of

Riverman1: “…muslims…sort of look Mexican…”

By accidental design; see if you can figure it out.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/10/11 - 09:04 am
BJ, took me two seconds to

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/10/11 - 09:10 am
bj...What snopes sez is there

bj...What snopes sez is there is a mixture of truth & non truth...as usual

bjphysics
bjphysics 12/10/11 - 09:14 am
Riverman1: “…if I smacked one

Riverman1: “…if I smacked one those folks around he wouldn't respond?”

Many Jains use a broom to gently sweep insects out of their path and they come from the same philosophical tradition as Buddhists so presumably they have Kung Fu; the Jain would Kung Fu broom you out of their path.

The Bahá'í would tell a nearby Muslim you created a particularly unflattering picture of Muhammad using photoshop.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/10/11 - 09:18 am
BJ, ha...the last line is

BJ, ha...the last line is funny.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/10/11 - 09:21 am
Then we have the Muslim

Then we have the Muslim elders stating to the government about a year? ago that they will all consider leaving Australia if they don't get treated better etc. The Australian governement failed to comment... there wasn't any "please don't go" statements now were there? But to be fair if you view what has been going on do you realy blame them? This all reminds me of the Pink Elephant... it's in the room... it's certainly making a scene but noone is honest enough to say anything .. let's just pretend it's not there so we can all feel good is the general view right?

What some are saying in Australia....just like here ...we have a BIG elephant in the room & because of PC no one wants to address it.....
crime stats tell us everyday...we ignore & look the other way...

bjphysics
bjphysics 12/10/11 - 09:23 am
Riverman1: “BJ, took me two

Riverman1: “BJ, took me two seconds to get that. Moors and all. Now laugh at my joke about them blending right in with the illegals.”

Very good, there’s an expression in Europe based on the Moorish genetic content shared by many Spaniards and Portuguese:

“Europe begins at the Pyrenees.”

“Peoples should not maake yokes about Hispanic peoples.” - José Jiménez

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/10/11 - 09:24 am
Let's pretend we don't have a

Let's pretend we don't have a HUGE CRIME problem in Richmond county...why don't we??

The real reason Columbia county doesn't want the crap to come to their front door!

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/10/11 - 09:31 am
I joke a lot about the

I joke a lot about the Islamic Center in Columbia County, but I seriously had many good Muslim friends when I was in the Army in the Mideast. My life depended on their loyalty and I'm still here. So let's not go overboard with all this.

bjphysics
bjphysics 12/10/11 - 09:31 am
seenitB4: “This is what

seenitB4:

“This is what Australia sez...” & “Separately, Kevin…”

"The individual statements attributed to Australian government officials included in the e-mail reproduced at the head of this page are thus essentially accurate, but the selectively-quoted excerpts of controversial material from different news stories create the misleading overall impression that Australia enacted a formal policy to force some Muslim groups out of the country. The statements quoted were part of the public debate over an issue that flared briefly in the immediate aftermath of the London Tube bombings, then quietly subsided.

Subsequent versions of this item have been altered to replace the names of out-of-office politicians with their modern counterparts (e.g., Kevin Rudd for John Howard, Julia Gillard for Kevin Rudd), thereby attributing words and thoughts to people who did not express them.

Last updated: 9 December 2010”

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 12/10/11 - 09:32 am
my favorite complaint so far

my favorite complaint so far is that there aren't hardly any comparable fluff stories about christians in this paper.

bjphysics
bjphysics 12/10/11 - 09:44 am
Who would have thunk it; José

Who would have thunk it; José Jiménez is still alive, he is 87.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/10/11 - 10:23 am
Women w/o covering(veils) are

Women w/o covering(veils) are uncovered meat---& men can beat & rape their wives...Give me a break!!

Since the 2001 World Trade Center attacks in New York, and the 2005 Bali bombings, Islam and its place in Australian society has been the subject of much public debate.[21] A number of forums and meetings have been held about the problem of extremist groups or ideology within the Australian Islamic community.[22][23] Politicians and the media have taken a robust approach to tackling militant Islam at home and abroad.[24] Jamaah Islamiyah’s bomb attack on the Bali tourist resort in Indonesia on 12 October 2002, killed 88 Australians. Some 20 Australians were killed on 9/11. Australia’s Prime Minister, John Howard, was in Washington on 9/11. Australia immediately committed special forces to the war against the Taliban and Al-Qaeda in Afghanistan. After the 7/7 attacks in London, Mr Howard established a Muslim Community Reference Group and said that no radicals would be invited to join. When al-Hilali (the Mufti of Australia) suggested Holocaust denial, Andrew Robb, the Australian Parliamentary Secretary for Multiculturalism, said he would not be reappointed to the group. Peter Costello (Mr Howard’s deputy)warned that, if the radical Muslim cleric Abdul Nasser Ben Brika really wanted to live under Sharia law, he might choose voluntary deportation to Iran. In October 2006, Muslim cleric Taj El-Din Hilaly compared women who do not wear the Islamic veil to "uncovered meat", implying that they were responsible for gang rapes perpetrated by Muslims; "if the meat was covered, the cats wouldn't roam around it".[25][26][27] Hiali's comments echoed earlier comments placing the blame on women for rape made by Sheik Feiz Mohammed.[28][29] Angry responses to the comments were made from Muslim women as well as non-Muslim figures.[30] A similar incident occurred in January 2008, when cleric Samir Abu Hamza, leader of the Islamic Information and Services Network of Australasia, told his male followers they can beat and rape their wives if they're disobedient.[31] He also denounced Australian culture as one of beer, gambling, and prostitutes.[32] These comments were condemned by both the Muslim community and the public at large;[33] Prime Minister Kevin Rudd demanded an apology for the comments, saying "Australia will not tolerate these sorts of remarks. They don't belong in modern Australia, and he should stand up, repudiate them and apologise

Now tell me this is untrue bj....

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/10/11 - 10:28 am
SeenIt, I'm glad to see you

SeenIt, I'm glad to see you are helping the Chronicle with their tolerance theme this morning. Heh.

soldout
soldout 12/10/11 - 10:47 am
I am sure they pray and hope

I am sure they pray and hope Jesus was a liar when He said "He was the only way" No one else has come back from death and has a empty grave. Christianity gets it's converts through love and grace. If people could do things and become good enough to please God through their own actions Jesus would never had to become a man and die in our place. There are lots of good and wonderful people according to man's standards but none of that will get us to heaven. Jesus gave so much power and wisdom to Christians that they created a nation that became the greatest in the world in about 200 years. No name creates as much controversy as the name "Jesus". Why would that be? Maybe because in the heart of man there is a spot only He can fill and He is the only one satan needs to fight and create conflict over. Satan spends his time fighting the bearer of truth and those deceived can go on and do as they will as they are already on his side and aren't creating a problem. Some Christians struggle and are oppressed by the devil and that should be expected as you are a problem to him. If you make Jesus the biggest thing in your life and quit trying to have one foot in the world and one in your relationship with Christ you will defeat that oppression in your life and take authority over it. Then your financial, physical and mental health improve as Christ becomes more real and the Bible the book of true reality.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/10/11 - 11:16 am
Heheh.....some of my answers

Heheh.....some of my answers are going byebye...
I could never live under their rules...

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 12/10/11 - 11:18 am
RM1, I must say you made me

RM1,

I must say you made me really laugh outloud twice today. Dude you are the most under appreciated internet comedian on here. BJ, you are second.

You two repsesent all that is good in a comments section.

Brad

bjphysics
bjphysics 12/10/11 - 11:37 am
Second place again, can’t get

Second place again, can’t get a break. One of these days I will snatch the pebble from Master Riverman’s hand, blow this temple joint, and wonder the Earth.

bjphysics
bjphysics 12/10/11 - 11:45 am
sjsavage67: “No other

sjsavage67: “No other religion gets this sort of good press.”

You might be right but it could also be an attempt to cover a religion many of us know little about.

Most people have never even heard of my religion (The Church of the Realized Fantasy or CRF); pious CRF’s undertake a pilgrimage to Vegas before their 40th birthday; if we ever get any press, it will be bad, bad, bad because we are bad, bad, bad…and we love it.