THE AWARDS: Virginia Colohan, Glenn D. Tisdale, Kenneth White and Ethel White were honored with the Bishop Gartland Award, named for Francis X. Gartland, the first bishop of Savannah. Gartland, born in Ireland in 1805, was named bishop of the new diocese in 1850. When yellow fever struck Savannah, he visited the sick and administered the sacraments until he, too, contracted the fever and died in 1854.
The award was instituted in 2000 to coincide with the 150th anniversary of the Diocese of Savannah, which includes 78 parishes in 90 counties of south Georgia.
THE PRESENTATION: On Sunday, Bishop Gregory John Hartmayer conferred the service awards on the four local residents, as well as 80 other members of the Diocese of Savannah, in a service at the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Savannah.
THE HONOREES: Colohan, a member of St. Teresa of Avila in Grovetown since 1976, has served her church as a Eucharistic Minister, on parish council and the executive board and is a founding member of the Lady Knights.
Tisdale was a member of the Presbyterian Church for 40 years before converting to Catholicism. He and his wife, Emily, began Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults classes and joined the church in 2003. He has served on several committees and has overseen the construction of a new rectory.
Kenneth and Ethel White are members of St. Mary on the Hill Catholic Church who made their home in Augusta after a long military career.
They serve with many ministries, including Casseroles to Go, which provides meals for the bereaved and sick, and the church choir.
LEARN MORE: See diosav.org.