God didn't almost give us new life

“Almost.”

It’s an interesting word, isn’t it? It basically means “nearly.” I almost got an “A” on the test. Almost got up the nerve to ask him or her out on a date. I almost got the job. I almost … fill in the blank.

We are an “almost” culture. There are a lot of “nearlys” in our everyday lives. And while some “almosts” aren’t all that important in the grand scheme of things, others are.

I almost said, “I love you.” I almost admitted my mistake or almost asked for forgiveness. I almost gave up that addiction. I almost believed God had a purpose for my life.

Did you know that God didn’t create us to live almost lives?

Think of God’s own example of this. What if He would have almost loved us? Or almost decided to come into our world to show us the way to Him? Or almost given up His life on a cross and was almost raised from the dead so that we could experience new life?

God didn’t almost do these things; He did them! And in the Scriptures we’re called to follow in the footsteps of our God and live the same way.

So what is it that you have almost done, but haven’t?

Let God be your example and your strength; then do it. You’re almost there.

THE REV. JOHN KENNEY IS PASTOR OF THE QUEST CHURCH IN MARTINEZ.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 11/11/11 - 11:50 pm
I almost went to church last

I almost went to church last Sunday.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 11/12/11 - 12:32 am
SFB, your beautiful

SFB, your beautiful daughters and wife are looking to you for leadership.
Don't almost lead them into the best that God has for their lives. Praying your almost becomes a reality, dear friend.

Mucho amor,
WB

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 11/12/11 - 07:42 am
Very good column by Pastor

Very good column by Pastor Kenney. It reminds me how King Agrippa told the apostle Paul, "Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian" (Acts 26:28 King James Version). Being a Christian (a follower of the Messiah) is more than salvation from sins: it's abundant life. I hope many readers will be persuaded to trust in the Lord Jesus and enjoy the blessings of eternal life.

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 11/12/11 - 02:49 pm
I gave up religion and it's

I gave up religion and it's false promises about a decade ago. It was the best thing I ever did. My mind is now uncluttered and free from trying to make sense out of religious contradictions and hypocrisy. I refuse to live my life under rule of self-abnegation (...you're NOT good enough...you need to bow before me.... you need to get on your knees and worship me....you need to ask me for my forgiveness...etc.). I'm a good enough human being that I need NOT be subserviant to anyone - and I'm much better for it.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/12/11 - 06:04 pm
pearlthesquirrel, I'm glad

pearlthesquirrel, I'm glad you gave up religion. Now how about trying a relationship. I promise it works so much better. God thinks you are good and He loves you. No one needs to bow on their knees or worship.....we want to because He is so good. I just don't want to be good enough, I want to be the best.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 11/13/11 - 09:48 pm
I certainly agree that

I certainly agree that religion is never the answer. Jesus Christ is. Not to be mean at all, but it sure sounds to me like PTS has a new person to worship -- themself. People like that just don't understand that the greatest freedom they can experience is in following the commands of Christ. Those commands to not restrict, but protect and even empower. Sad that folks just don't understand how great they can be. That's why David said that he "delighted" in the law of the Lord. He knew what he was talking about!

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 11/13/11 - 11:41 pm
pearl is describing living in

pearl is describing living in bondage which is experienced by believers and non believers, alike. It's a miserable way to live and I understand why she would flee from it. I pray that God will lead her not to religion, but to Him and bring healthy earthly relationships in her life. I also pray that pearl will allow herself to have an open heart and listen to Him.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/15/11 - 07:44 pm
Willow, although I understand

Willow, although I understand PTS's opinion on "religion", I didn't take the comment as describing living in bondage. I never think of doctrine as being bondage but guidelines to following Christ's teaching.

"I'm a good enough human being that I need NOT be subserviant to anyone - and I'm much better for it."

That statement to me, leds me to believe, that it's not so much religion PTS is rebelling against but the authority of God Himself. Isn't a believer's goal to become self-abnegating. To think of other's instead of oneself, to give up control of our self-interest to serve God purpose.

I also pray that God puts healthy Godly relationships into PTS life to be a witness that it's not about religion but about a relationship with Christ.

jmthompson
jmthompson 11/19/11 - 07:41 pm
ICL Why do you need doctrine

ICL
Why do you need doctrine to follow Christ’s teaching? What Christ taught was not good enough for you? You need humans (and in most cases men) to tell you how to live your life? Think about that. It does not pass the commonsense test and I believe it is why so many are leaving the Church. So we are clear, doctrine is what men have created not God.
CH T.