Too many people turn Bible into God

R. Kirby Godsey, the for­mer president of Ma­con’s Mercer Uni­versity, writes in his new book, Is God a Christian?, about interfaith tolerance and understanding.

Recently, I sent a review of the book to a good friend who replied with genuine concern for my spiritual well-being. This was my response to him:

Friend,

Thanks for the note. I guess I need to be clear on a few things. I have never wavered from my belief in Jesus Christ, and I also believe that we must love God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength. However, we are also called to love our neighbor as we love ourselves.

The problem I have is that far too many people have given the Bible the same status as God or Jesus, and they use it to enforce strict judgment on those who hold differing beliefs.

Many churches are spiritually killing people by the thousands, sacrificing them at the altar of legalism, shame, and judgment. Where is the grace that these souls were looking for and deserved? Clearly many churches do not understand the true intent of “love your neighbor as yourself.”

The church, as we know it, is dying. Rather, it is being destroyed from within, because no community of believers can be destroyed by outside forces.

I understand and believe that God is working in this world and that our responsibility lies in how we make a difference today in this place which will someday be “heaven on earth,” if you believe what your Bible teaches. As the Lord’s Prayer says, “on earth as it is in heaven.”

You asked how I can believe some of the Bible but not all of it. That question only makes sense if you place the authority of the Bible at the same level as God or Christ. The Bible is not God. It is a book about God that was written, translated, and canonized by the same men who in turn declared it to be the actual Word of God.

We, the community of believers, have made it sacred scripture, but we cannot make it God. Moreover, I believe that sometimes the Bible is wrong.

As to the concept of hell generally accepted by Christians, I am not saying that people will not suffer for the choices they have made. I do, however, believe that in the end every knee shall bow and every tongue will confess. That, in essence, is universal salvation, but the very idea is offensive to so many in the church.

We need to stop worrying about heaven and hell, who is in and who is out, and simply figure out what our calling is, and how that calling can make this world a better place.

In the story of the prodigal son, how sad it is that the good, righteous son was angry that his sinful brother was loved and accepted even after all he had done. How could that be fair since he himself had always done what was right?

I believe that this is often how the church responds, and that this attitude is destroying the church from within. It is time for us to be God’s witness to the world, bringing light and hope to all.

God so loved the world – not Christians, Muslims, Jews, blacks, whites, Chinese, Russians, Americans – the world, including all people and everything in it.

I see no distinction or qualifier in that. It is time that we stop building walls and start building bridges.

LT. COL. MARK THOMPSON IS A UNITED METHODIST PASTOR AND A CHAPLAIN AT FORT GORDON.

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 10/29/11 - 06:18 am
"Many churches are

"Many churches are spiritually killing people by the thousands, sacrificing them at the altar of legalism, shame, and judgment. Where is the grace that these souls were looking for and deserved?" (Lt. Col. Mark Thompson).

The writer is terribly wrong about grace. By definition, grace is undeserved favor or kindness. Grace comes to people who have heard the law, become ashamed of their sins (transgressions of the law), confessed their sins, and received forgiveness through their faith in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.

"The Bible is not God. It is a book about God that was written, translated, and canonized by the same men who in turn declared it to be the actual Word of God" (Lt. Col. Thompson).

The writer should've noted that "all Scripture is breathed out ["inspired"] by God" (2 Timothy 3:16). To be sure, the Bible isn't God, but it accurately conveys the words by which God will judge the world through Christ Jesus. If we trust the Bible, it becomes our guide and judge. If we trust only parts of it, we become its judge. Clearly, the author is judging the Bible, not vice versa.

"God so loved the world – not Christians, Muslims, Jews, blacks, whites, Chinese, Russians, Americans – the world, including all people and everything in it" (Lt. Col. Thompson).

God's love for the world has given all people the opportunity to avoid perishing in their sins. This love is conditional, however, because it saves only people who trust in Christ. The writer might've recognized this if he had quoted all the verse he alluded to:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16 English Standard Version).

People who trust and follow Christ are Christians; in fact, the word Christian denotes a person who follows and obeys the Messiah. In the end, practitioners of non-Christian religions will be eternally lost and unloved because they have rejected the world's only Savior. That's a tragedy because it would've been so simple for them to be saved.

Tidmadt
Tidmadt 10/29/11 - 06:53 am
Fundamental_Arminian, I think

Fundamental_Arminian,

I think you miss the author's point that the Bible, as a creation of man, is not God despite what 2Timothy 3:16 might say. It is man, not God himself, that claims divinity of the words contained within its pages. As such, to follow them literally is to follow man rather then God.

-J

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 10/29/11 - 07:19 am
Tidmadt, you're judging the

Tidmadt, you're judging the Bible just as Col. Thompson has done. You evidently don't believe 2 Timothy 3:16 or the many parts where God's words are identified as the word of God.

I wish you, Col. Thompson, and others like you would be honest enough to speak in your own authority instead of pretending to base your opinions on the Bible. If you can judge what parts of the Bible are correct, you should simply say, "Thus and so are correct because I say so." Of course, if you did that, the average churchgoer could easily recognize that you're not ministers of Christ.

nannygoat
nannygoat 10/29/11 - 07:51 am
I agree with Fundamental.

I agree with Fundamental. Once you determine that the Bible has flaws, then you are the judge. Not so!!! The flaws are in man not God's word nor in the men who God led to catalogue them for us . Don't shoot the messenger! Since we are not NOT God we have no reason to rewrite the word to fit our needs. It already does!

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/29/11 - 08:05 am
Col. Thompson states 'I

Col. Thompson states 'I believe that sometimes the Bible is wrong"

This statement is the basis for Col. Thompson's letter which is so filled with errors.

If you do not believe that the scriptures written in the Bible is not inspired by God then nothing contained therein can convince you that the Bible is the Word of God and not just some book that man wrote long ago that has some good stuff in it.

Jesus often spoke of a place called Hell. Is Col. Thompson calling Jesus a liar? Christ calls the Scribes and Pharisees a “generation of vipers,” and warns them, "How will you escape the damnation of Hell?" (Matt. 23:33)

What about the judgement of the sheep and goats? "And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

Col. Thompson states "I do, however, believe that in the end every knee shall bow and every tongue will confess. That, in essence, is universal salvation, but the very idea is offensive to so many in the church."

Sorry Col. Thompson, eternal salvation comes from asking forgiveness of sin, repentance, and accepting Jesus as Lord and Master of your life. Humble acknowledgement of the deity of Christ at the end of time, is not the same as accepting Him as your Lord.

PCnomo, because the first response to Col. Thompson's letter isn't how you think, you accuse that poster of being unable to think for themselves. Have you ever considered that the first responder's view is accurate and yours and Col. Thompson's view is wrong?

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/29/11 - 08:06 am
It appears Col. Thompson is

It appears Col. Thompson is trying to make God into our image, inside of us who are believers into the image of God.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 10/29/11 - 08:07 am
Yes, this will be a very busy

Yes, this will be a very busy thread. Col. Thompson has written some very generic articles over the past year, but with this one he has once again revealed his true brand of "Christianity", and I use the term loosely.

PC, I think there will be much careful thought here. Christ taught that Christians are to be intellectual and thoughtful when considering all things. This topic will be no different.

As he has stated in previous letters, Col. T. is a disciple of Marcus Borg, an ultra-liberal, left-wing theologian who denies pretty much all essential doctrines of 2000 years of traditional Christian thought. That is the Col.'s perspective, so you expect this type of letter from him. As stated, his writings usually generate controversy and great interest. There have even been other chaplains from Fort Gordon who have written in assuring the readership that not all chaplains at the fort believe as Col. T. does. We can be thankful for that.

Col. T says that, in parts, the Bible is wrong. I would like to know based upon what objective evidence that Col. T decides what is wrong in the Bible and what is permissible? He did not provide his criteria (although space is limited), so it certainly appears to be an arbitrary call based upon his personal opinions and Borgesque leanings. The internal evidence for the Bible's validity is quite tight. It is internally consistent, and its various books verify the doctrines taught by one another. To make "drive by" comments that much of the Bible is wrong without providing specifics and evidence for such claims does not help the Col.'s argument.

The one thing he does mention is his belief in universal salvation. His only reason: Love. Well, that's nice. We all know that God is love. But, we also know that God is perfect holiness, and as such cannot allow anything that defies that holiness to go unpunished. As do many, the Col. dissects out God's love, but throws out everything else about that God that offends him. He "picks and chooses" what he likes about God, and denies anything he does not like. Of course, the issue of why Christ had to die on the cross to pay our sin penalty is difficult to account for if "love wins", as the Col. prefers to believe. Obviously, this sin stuff is very serious and very deadly business. I'm afraid the Col.'s idea that "all you need is love" is more akin to the theology of John Lennon than Jesus Christ. But, to each his own.

Wow. What a convenient approach to the Almighty. Borg and Col. T have created a god in their own image so they find him palatable and pleasing -- much like a warm chocolate cake. How warm and fuzzy.

Of course, to synthesize your own god you must throw out a great deal of plain, direct, corroborative biblical teaching (see the Col.'s words above). This practice is nothing new. People have been doing this for centuries. Makes for interesting reading and lots of internet postings. If your goal is to develop your own "theology," you pick and choose which scriptures support your personal agenda and deny others. Then, to mask this rather unscholarly approach, you then pick a high-sounding theme like "Love" to wrap it all up in so it appeals to folks. Pretty cool methodology. Borg has sold many books based on this approach. As the Apostle Paul warned, people will not tolerate accurate truth, but will listen only to what "tickles their ears".

Borg and Col. T will continue on tickling ears and telling everyone to "eat, drink, and be merry" because we're all going to heaven anyway; just believe what you want to in the Bible, and forget what upsets you. No problem. It's just guidelines and suggestions anyway.

All the while, Jesus Christ looks down from his cross and says, "Father, forgive them because they know not what they do." However, I don't know if ignorance is a valid excuse in this particular matter.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/29/11 - 08:20 am
Amen Howcanweknow! Amen!

Amen Howcanweknow! Amen!

nannygoat
nannygoat 10/29/11 - 08:54 am

Thank you, HCWK, for giving voice to what I know to be true in my heart!!!

allhans
allhans 10/29/11 - 09:18 am
John 1:14, The Word became

John 1:14, The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

PCnomo
PCnomo 10/29/11 - 09:40 am
ICL :- I frequently think I

ICL :- I frequently think I may be wrong in my understanding of scripture. That is why I continue to study and think about what I read. I ask myself questions like, what does that mean to me, how does that verse relate to my life, How does this apply to me.
I don't find that to be true with far too many of those indoctrinated by a church. Those who believe they have it all figured out and cannot be in error because it is the word of God. Those who have let a church do their thinking for them. It is my belief that if my understanding of scripture has not changed in, say the last 10 years, then I have made no spiritual progress in those 10 years.

ICL claims Col Thompson is trying to make God into his own image. That is exactly what religion has done. Religion has imposed mans failings on God, jealous, vindictive, resentful, fickle and vengeful. If you are comfortable with the psychopathic god of the old testament, then by all means be true to your beliefs. I just don't happen to see God that way. I don't believe a God of perfect love can have favorites. I don't believe a God of mercy can select some and reject others.

Paul says God is spirit and must be worshipped in spirit and in truth. It is our spirit that is the image of God, not our physical attributes. The word individual does not mean separate from, it means undivided or indivisable from. Therefore if we are undivided from God spiritually, then those eternally damned by God will inflict pain upon God. I tend to think God is a lot smarter than the masochistic concept put forth by religion.

Col. Thompsons article is designed to provoke me to think about what I claim to believe. I see no harm in that.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 10/29/11 - 09:59 am
I commend the letter writer.

I commend the letter writer. Not only is the Bible not the inerrant word of God, but I strongly suspect that Jesus himself never claimed to be God. Nor do I think that Jesus proclaimed Christianity to be the only way to worship God or receive salvation. Jesus is not coming back in physical form to rule this world. God is love. That is what lives in our hearts, and that is what Jesus taught IMHO. He put himself in a position where he risked persecution because he loved humanity. There was no physical resurrection. The kingdom is within each of us. That is where we find God, love, and peace.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/29/11 - 10:01 am
I have decided not to step

I have decided not to step into this minefield! lol
I don't know enough to even contribute but I'm enjoying everyone's responses.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/29/11 - 10:02 am
I know Mark well. (He'll

I know Mark well. (He'll never guess who this is.) But I didn't know he was such a raging heathen. Just kidding, Mark. He is a great guy and a great Chaplain. My only practical problem with it, is it seems Christians are always the ones asked to step up to the plate when it comes to tolerance. I won't even get into the exclusionary practices of other religions and lack of tolerance they present.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 10/29/11 - 12:02 pm
Lt. Col. Thompson, SIR, YOUR

Lt. Col. Thompson, SIR, YOUR LETTER JUST TAKES MY BREATH AWAY. I read it with great interest, my heart quietly cheering for you, so much wanting the outcome to be one that truly surprised the readers and glorified the Gospel of Jesus Christ. But it didn't happen and my heart is breaking for you and those who would be influenced by your words...

With all due respect, what makes your letter so dangerous and utterly sinful to the cause of Jesus Christ is there are partial truths which will be encouraging, but misleading to some who are struggling to make a connection to God.

YOU NAILED IT, when you said, the church as a whole is failing in their mission to minister to a dying world. I agree completely. Finger pointing, comparison and judgement runs people far away. You say we should love our neighbors. You are right. You say, it is not about theology. I agree. And Yes, most all miss the point of the Prodigal Son and His Father, which is the sinner who is loved by God. Absolutely, we are useless in witnessing to the world until we allow God to do a work in our own lives, and then who we ARE (not say) in Christ becomes a walking, talking ministry where ever we go.

THEN WE PART WAYS, Sir. You basically say the Bible is not the Word; God says it is. You say that we can earn a place in God's heaven; God says we can't. God says the only way is through the blood of Jesus Christ. If I can earn my place in eternity by loving and working to further the Kingdom, then why did my Savior hang on a cross tortured beyond my comprehension? You quote God's own Word that every knee will bow to Him, but you have left out the part where God says, that "Many will call on His name, "Lord", and "He will say depart from me for I never knew you!"

SIR I CHALLENGE you to email me through the Augusta Chronicle. I know the Pastor's Pastor, a local minister who counsels with pastor's from ALL OVER THE WORLD. Meet with him. I promise you will have a connection to him. If you are willing, I will make another promise to you...You will never regret it and your life and those you minister to will be blessed beyond your greatest expectation.

bjphysics
bjphysics 10/29/11 - 10:14 am
One of the most fascinating

One of the most fascinating things about religious belief is, despite being impossible to prove, believers certainty in their belief defies epistemology and yet, believers are impervious to this observation.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/29/11 - 10:28 am
Willow, now come on. It could

Willow, now come on. It could be Pastor Paul would benefit from Mark's thoughts, also. The ONLY reason I got involved in this religious discussion is Mark is a friend. These type things end up going on for days and end up with some strange comments. Also, keep in mind, chaplains in the military often have services attended by those of all faiths.

jmthompson
jmthompson 10/29/11 - 10:27 am
I am always open to talking

I am always open to talking with any one about faith and the journey to be in relationship with God. Please feel free to send me his info.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 10/29/11 - 10:30 am
Cain, then you believe that

Cain, then you believe that God is a liar. I believe, He is Lord.

jmthompson
jmthompson 10/29/11 - 10:41 am
I forgot, I do not speak for

I forgot, I do not speak for all military chaplains. This is an opinion colum and these are my thoughts. One of the most wounderful aspects of being a chaplain is that we can share our thoughts and struggles with each other and still respect eachothers faith. There are many folks who are searching for a deeper relationShip with God and not finding it where they are. My thoughts, I hope will open up other ways to move closer to God. Blessings,

CH T

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 10/29/11 - 10:51 am
Here is a big problem:

Here is a big problem: People cannot work their way up to God. How can we finite creatures ever try to "know" or comprehend an infinite God? Can't be done. No amount of meditation, enlightenment, or pondering by us can get us closer to God. It's like an ant trying to comprehend a man. Forget it.

How do we KNOW God? By allowing God to reveal Himself to us -- insofar as we can take it in. How has God done that? By coming to earth as a man (Jesus Christ), and by giving us his written word wherein he has revealed himself to us. It is in his word that we find and get to know God. I agree that the Bible is not God, but you do find God in His word. That is our best source and is a personal communication from the God we seek. What better way is there?

Now, Col. T comes along and tells us that we can't trust that word. But, he hopes we can all move closer to God. Huh? Talk about a non sequitir. He has cast doubt and diminished our only real way to "move closer to God", but then tells us to open up other ways to know God. Dangerous ground, this.

Just my opinion, but I don't believe the "God" Col. T wants us to "move closer to" is the real God at all. Instead (as several have suggested above) it appears to be a God of man's design and not the God that designed us.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 10/29/11 - 11:24 am
Riverman1, I'm not against

Riverman1, I'm not against Lt. Co. Thompson, nor are my intentions disrespectful towards him. I am FOR him. I do believe and agree with some of his letter. I stated that clearly. As to discussion going on and on, River, what better is there to discuss than our relationships with each other and the Lord, here on this earth and in eternity. It's the only thing that will ultimately matter; it’s all we take with us when we depart.

One thing that fires me up, is any mention of performance as it relates to our salvation. Regardless of our religious or nonreligious beliefs, most of this world is living in captivity and bondage. Even as a Christian, (since a little girl) I lived most of my life this way, missing out on the victory that God had already given to me. I have been set FREE of it and spend my time ministering about it to others.

I thought God wanted me to minister out of my perfection…the perfect wife, mother, friend, etc. Not so. He used illness and others to completely turn my life UPSIDE Down and INSIDE out, emptying me completely of myself, so that He could replenish me with more of Himself.

God doesn't call us to DO SOMETHING, HE calls us to BE SOMETHING. He has DONE everything that needed doing at Calvary. After, I allowed Him to change me, I then became able to love others as He has called me to do. Apart from Him, I couldn’t love my neighbor, (family) myself or Him.

And Perfectly, never happens for me, either; I continue to fail...that's the best part. It allows me to be real, others can identify with me, and we grow together. My circumstances or others DO NOT define me, as they did, My God does and I am always upbeat...hopeful, even when I struggle.

You called Lt. Col. Friend...so do I. My heart is good towards him and you.

Tidmadt
Tidmadt 10/29/11 - 11:41 am
Fundamental_Arinian, There is

Fundamental_Arinian,

There is no evidence that the Bible is the word of God. Claiming that the Bible itself indicates it is the word of God is a circular argument. It would be no different then if I claimed to be God. Without independent proof, the Bible is no more then a collection of parables. This does not negate its value, it only goes to point that morality comes from within and not a book.

-J

Tidmadt
Tidmadt 10/29/11 - 11:41 am
Fundamental_Arinian, There is

Fundamental_Arinian,

-J

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 10/29/11 - 12:11 pm
Tidmadt, I agree about the

Tidmadt, I agree about the circular reasoning of using the Bible to verify the Bible. That's why there are volumes and volumes of research exploring the historical, archeological, and even circumstantial evidence in support of the truth of the Bible. It would take far too long to start a discussion of all that evidence here (as has been done before). For you to say that "there is no evidence" is just not true.

The Bible is far more than a collection of parables. That statement reflects a very simplistic and surfacy knowledge of the Bible -- which is what most critics of the Bible have. The Bible has many testable and verifiable facts. Opponents of the Bible have for centuries tried to disprove it. Guess what? They are dead and gone, and the Bible is still here.

That being said, I agree that you cannot PROVE the Bible to be God's word. But, that's how God wants it. He wants people to come to Him willingly and without compulsion. He intended it that way. But, many people with far greater intellect than we have investigated the truth of the Bible's claims, and have come down decidedly in favor of its truth. People from all walks of life have made the move from agnosticism to Christianity. Some of the more notable are esteemed university scholars (like C.S. Lewis), astronomers (Dr. Hugh Ross), famous medical scientists (like the Director of the U.S. National Institute of Health, Dr. Francis Collins), political strategists (Chuck Colson), and well-respected journalists (Lee Strobel). So, brilliant minds can and do read the Bible, and see more than enough evidence to believe it is truth. Sure, not everyone does. They never will. But, to simply state that "there is no evidence" reflects a lack of due diligence on your part to really investigate the facts behind the truth.

I would encourage you to really investigate the Bible. I think you'll be surprised at the amazing truth you find there. I know I have.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 10/29/11 - 12:13 pm
Tdmadt, Who puts it there?

Tdmadt, Who puts it there? (inside your heart) Who is the author of morality?

Tidmadt
Tidmadt 10/29/11 - 01:07 pm
howcanweknow, I am not

howcanweknow,

I am not claiming that aspect of the Bible are not historically accurate. What I am saying is as there is no evidence of God, there is no evidence that s/he would endorse the Bible. All religions share this common issue - which is why there are so many religions.

Your assumption that God prefers to remain in the background conflicts with the deity's prior behavior of making his presence known - particularly in the Old Testament. It also conflicts with the story of Jesus in the New Testament where, if one were have faith in the writings, miracles were a somewhat common occurrence. Given the history, your assumption makes no sense.

Likewise, your claim that people of intellect who embrace the bible are evidence of the Bible's truth is flawed. For one, people of intellect have in the past believed in all manner of falsehoods - and will continue to do so for as long as the human mind is subject to biases. Secondly, I can produce a list of intellectuals who would disagree with your list. Your argument is a fallacy.

Truth is what is left after all biases are removed and facts are laid bare. In that, no religion has been able to claim to it. Religion, or specifically faith in a religion, is a bias and on some emotional level for many, a need.

My statement of no evidence is correct.

Tidmadt
Tidmadt 10/29/11 - 01:11 pm
Willow Bailey, The specific

Willow Bailey,

The specific mechanism for morality have not been fully defined. Some recent studies I have read do hint at morality as something that is inherent in most people.

As with most things around faith, the faithful will assume that for questions not currently answerable, the answer must be God. History has shown that such assumptions fall once knowledge is gained.

-J

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 10/29/11 - 02:03 pm
Tidmadt, All religions are

Tidmadt,
All religions are not the same. Christianity is very unique in the person of Jesus Christ, whom the Bible teaches is God incarnate. Mohammad never claimed to be God. Neither did Moses, nor Buddha, nor Confucious, or Lao Tzu. Religions claim to point the way to God. Christ claimed to BE God who came to man. That is a difference, and Christ was a historical personage who's claims can be investigated historically.

Also, Christianity is different in the concept of Grace. Religions tell you how you may work your way up to God. Christianity says you can do nothing. God took the initiative to come to you, not the reverse.

So, if you are going to compare Christianity to religions, they are apples and oranges at the important fundamental levels.

I never said that God preferred to remain in the background. Those are your words. What I was trying to convey is that God does not force himself down your throat. He has provided more than enough evidence for faith in the world, and even came to earth as Christ to reveal himself to us. So, he has made the effort. What I tried to say was that God will not slap us upside the head with himself. He gives you enough evidence to believe, but will not force you to do so. You come to him by choice and by faith, not by compulsion. He does not want robots, but willing children. If you choose to deny and reject him, he will honor that choice (for now).

In terms of the people I mentioned, all I was trying show you was that extremely intelligent people have examined the same evidence you openly reject, but have come to vastly different conclusions. Now, maybe you are smarter than these brilliant folks and know better? I'm certainly not. I realize that not everyone will come to believe in God despite the evidence (as the Bible clearly predicts), but the point is that you cannot say there is no clear, convincing evidence for the existence of God or the validity of the Bible -- otherwise so many highly intelligent folks would not have been fooled by this same evidence.

Some will accept the evidence for God, others will reject it. It is your opinion that the evidence is lacking. Others disagree with you. I'm afraid it is your argument does not disprove a thing. You cannot PROVE that God does not exist no more than I can PROVE to you scientifically that God does exit. We have moved from the realm of absolute proof to the realm of data interpretation. We have different interpretations, but neither of us can offer positive "proof".

Of course, the Bible teaches that Christ's resurrection was exactly the proof that you demand. Unfortunately, there were no cameras there to record it for us. But, isn't it amazing that history tells us that Christianity began at the very place where Christ died -- Jerusalem, and that almost exactly the same time. Now, I wonder why literally thousands of people accepted the truth of the resurrection -- and even died defending that truth -- if they knew it were a hoax. It could have been easily disproven, but was not.

So, come to think of it, maybe there is indeed objective proof for the basis of Christianity after all? No bias, just fact.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 10/29/11 - 02:09 pm
God's Word is life! 2

God's Word is life!

2 Timothy 3:16-17
New King James Version (NKJV)

16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Monitor reports worsening Vogtle delays

Scheduling delays for two nuclear reactors under construction at Plant Vogtle are worsening, according to a report from a state-hired construction monitor.