Faith Digest

Pagan Pride Day

Back | Next
Michelle Boshears performs a pagan ritual. Pagan Pride Day events start today at 1 p.m. at Lake Olmstead.   JACKIE RICCIARDI/FILE
JACKIE RICCIARDI/FILE

Augusta’s third annual Pagan Pride Day begins at 1 p.m. Saturday at the gazebo outside Lake Olmstead, 3 Milledge Road.

Spiral Rhythm headlines the event, which ends at 6 p.m. The day also includes a fire performance, harvest ritual, vendors and an information table about paganism.

Admission is free, but participants are asked to bring a nonperishable food item for a food drive.

Anniversary celebration

Roy Rogers, the state superintendent of Georgia Church of The Nazarene, will be the guest speaker at Bible Fellowship Church, 3701 Old Petersburg Road in Martinez, at 10:30 a.m. Sunday.

The worship service will also kick off the 53rd anniversary celebration of The Byrd Family Gospel Singers. See biblefellowshipministry.org for more information.

Blessing of the Animals

St. Teresa of Avila Catholic Church will hold a blessing of the animals at 3 p.m. Sunday. Any animals or pets can be brought to the church, 4921 Columbia Road, Grovetown, for a blessing. Call (706) 863-4956 for more information.

St. Augustine’s Episcopal Church will hold four services to bless animals at 6, 6:30, 7 and 7:30 p.m. during First Friday. The services will all be held outside Sho Ane’s Design Studio, 1131 Broad St. Pets must be on a leash or in a crate. Call (706) 738-6676 for information.

Ron Gibbs performs

Ron Gibbs and Gabriel’s Call will perform two Southern gospel concerts in Augusta this weekend. The first is 11 a.m. Sunday at Crawford Avenue Baptist Church, 507 Crawford Ave. The second is at 6 p.m. Sunday at Pine View Baptist Church, 117 Pleasant Home Road.

God’s Enduring Promises

A women’s Bible study series titled Covenant: God’s Enduring Promises by Kay Arthur starts Tuesday at Anglican Church of The Holy Trinity in North Augusta. The group meets for nine weeks from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Call (803) 341-9501 or see www.holytrinityna.org.

Women of Faith

Sheila Walsh will speak at a Women of Faith event at Trinity-on-the-Hill United Methodist Church. The author and worship leader appears from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 8 at the church, 1330 Monte Sano Ave. The cost is $25 with an optional $6 lunch. See trinityonthehill.net for tickets.

Home energy audit

A free home energy audit training class is offered from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Oct. 8 at Beulah Grove Baptist Church, 1434 Poplar St.

The class is conducted in partnership with Georgia Interfaith Power & Light. The class teaches how to reduce home utility bills, make a home more energy efficient and use less resources while becoming better stewards of creation.

Reservations are required. Reserve space online at gipl.kintera.org/HEAT or call (404) 588-9978.

The Honor Event luncheon

Radio station WAFJ-FM (88.3) will mark clergy appreciation month with The Honor Event, a luncheon for pastors, youth ministers, elders and church leaders. The event begins at noon Thursday at Fairview Presbyterian Church, 1101 Carolina Ave., North Augusta.

The event is free but registration is required. See wafj.com for information.

A Christmas Celebration

Local church and school groups are asked to audition for The Real Story: A Christmas Celebration in Drama and Song, to be performed at Grover C. Maxwell Performing Arts Theatre at Augusta State University on Dec. 10.

Each group has the opportunity to produce a five- to 15-minute Biblical play celebrating the birth of Jesus. Any age can participate. Participants will receive a portion of ticket sales to donate to organizations of their choice.

Contact Christina Heckman at Augusta State at (706) 667-4438 or checkman@aug.edu for more information. The deadline for application is Oct. 31.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 10/01/11 - 09:32 am
Since this is Faith Digest,

Since this is Faith Digest, I'm trying to understand in whom/what do Pagans place their faith? There is no one to pray to or ask for help. Are their gods in Paganism?

Is Paganism more of an appreciation and respect for nature? Respecting the environment is a good thing, but does Paganism cross the line into worship or nature?

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/01/11 - 09:55 am
HCWK, your question peeked my

HCWK, your question peeked my courosity so I did a few searches. This link seems to give some good information. It seems a pagan can choose which god they feel a connection with so I suppose there ar many gods involved.

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 10/01/11 - 10:05 am
I look forward to attending

I look forward to attending the Pagan Pride Festival again this year, even though I am not a Pagan. The term Pagan covers a wide range of beliefs some monotheist, some polytheist and some non-theist. The Pagan Pride Project defines the term Pagan as-

"Definition:

A Pagan or NeoPagan is someone who self-identifies as a Pagan, and whose spiritual or religious practice or belief fits into one or more of the following categories:
Honoring, revering, or worshipping a Deity or Deities found in pre-Christian, classical, aboriginal, or tribal mythology; and/or
Practicing religion or spirituality based upon shamanism, shamanic, or magickal practices; and/or
Creating new religion based on past Pagan religions and/or futuristic views of society, community, and/or ecology;
Focusing religious or spiritual attention primarily on the Divine Feminine; and/or
Practicing religion that focuses on earth based spirituality.

Of course the best way to find the diversity of the Pagan community in this area is to stop by and speak to some of the people there. They do not believe in proselytizing their religion and of course would appreciate if others gave them the same respect.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/01/11 - 10:08 am
I don't know about being a

I don't know about being a pagan, but I have howled at the moon a few nights back in my drinking days.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/01/11 - 10:33 am
You still howl on here

You still howl on here sometimes...you just can't remember doing it!

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 10/01/11 - 11:15 am
Where is the comments

Where is the comments administrator? Do the above 2 comments mean that non-christians can now mock the christian religion and not get their posts pulled? Or is this just a bias of the AC's?

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/01/11 - 11:28 am
How you see mocking floors me

How you see mocking floors me cass.....it is called some humor in life makes a smile on some...BUT if you want to see YOUR view....goforit------try to find SOMETHING to argue about 24/7....GEEEEZ

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 10/01/11 - 11:35 am
seenit - yes, River's remark

seenit - yes, River's remark IS mocking the Pagan religion and your remark is further mocking it. I've seen others and had my own posts pulled in the past for honestly answering a christian's questions about views on their religion as "mocking" when the answers were honest and no mocking was intended. Last year, the thread that ran the Pagan Pride information started out with pretty much the same joke and very quickly devolved into Pagan hate speech and open attacks on a Pagan who was posting. Funny, when it is the Christian religion that is being mocked it is just having fun, but when it is a minority religion it is pulled. These jokes are no funnier than the "harmless" racist jokes that people tell and are not allowed on the AC.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/01/11 - 11:41 am
No.....river was making fun

No.....river was making fun of himself---I was making fun of him---beauty is in the eyes of the beholder cass....I'm not debating with you today------life is too short & I'll miss the ballgame & fun ----so bless your heart & have a great day....(& that isn't making fun of any thing)

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 10/01/11 - 11:58 am
seenit - you don't see the

seenit - you don't see the mockery because it's not your religious beliefs that are being mocked. I've seen you get up in arms over what you perceived as disrespect towards Christianity more than once. So long as it's not aimed at me it doesn't apply is a common stance when it comes to these behaviors. Enjoy your game.

Jane18
Jane18 10/01/11 - 12:00 pm
I would like to know from Ms.

I would like to know from Ms. Jasper and the Chronicle, what or who determined this article would? go in this section of the paper..................

Vito45
Vito45 10/01/11 - 12:07 pm
Cassandra, you had posts

Cassandra, you had posts pulled because some thin skinned whiner complained. I've had the same done over the most innocuous (I thought) stuff. I was trying to express the depth of my outrage once by using a few symbols in place of a word, BAM! It was pulled sometime later.

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 10/01/11 - 12:29 pm
Jane - you know nothing about

Jane - you know nothing about Paganism and did not read my 10:05 post. Not only are all forms of Paganism religions and faiths, but almost all of them predate Christianity and in many cases Judaism. Their religious beliefs have been practiced far longer than yours. I'm assuming you are referring to the Pagan Pride when you asked why it is placed here. It is placed here, because whether you like it or not, the various forms of Paganism are religions and faiths and this is the "Faith Digest" column. Why don't you stop by Lake Olmsted between 1-6 and actually meet some of these people. You'd be surprised how many of your co-workers and even some of your church goers might be there.

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 10/01/11 - 12:39 pm
Jane - Now let's look at your

Jane - Now let's look at your same remark from a non-christian perspective.

"Christianity is not, I repeat, not a religion. A Christian does not believe in anything. Got it? They believe in nothing religious. That's it, nothing else can be said for them. They are heathens, and I am not trying to be mean when I say that, it's the truth, plain and simple. If anyone is offended, I'm sorry."

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/01/11 - 01:03 pm
Cassandra, don't be knocking

Cassandra, don't be knocking my ex-drinking howling at the moon. Hey, some of my best friends are pagans. SeenItB4 for one.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/01/11 - 01:28 pm
Vito45 "Cassandra, you had

Vito45 "Cassandra, you had posts pulled because some thin skinned whiner complained"

Since the only post pulled yesterday I believe were Cassandra's and mine, Vito45, I truly hope you weren't referring to me as the thin skinned whiner complaining. In fact, I received the same nasty gram for having a comment pulled (or in this case, a couple) as I'm sure other posters have received, and could have assumed, as you have here, that it was the other way around. I have never reported a comment (except once possibly a year ago) and never requested any comment to be removed. So if you think you know something best check your facts before assuming.

Although I don't believe in paganism, I have no problem with those who do, having a day to meet and worship their gods.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/01/11 - 02:39 pm
Just for you River... A:

Just for you River...

A: Pagans believe that everything in the Cosmos is intimately related to everything else, and that the health of the Cosmos, and of each of us, depends on every being having its own place in the sun. Pagans believe that truly Evil behavior arises from fear, ignorance, and self-hate, from rejecting parts of ourselves and the world. Pagans believe that people are free to make meaningful choices, but that we are not free from the results of those choices. We don't believe that anyone else can magically release us from the results of our actions, nor can I claim that the Devil made me do it.

Our ethical law is simple, DO AS THOU WILT, AND HARM NONE. The Law derives from our recognition that all things in the universe are interconnected in a very intimate way; the relationship between you and me is part of what I am, and part of what you are. Process Theologians call this idea the law of internal relations. Magic necessarily depends on this idea. So does Pagan ethics. Pagan tradition speaks of the law of Three: what you do will come back to you 3 times:

~first, as Aristotle said, a crime gives you a bad character;
~twice. because it will cause a reaction from the victim and society;
~three times because I can never escape my internal relations with you.

All things in the universe are connected in some way.......so be careful...what we wish on others will always come back to us...peace.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 10/01/11 - 03:21 pm
I am so not getting

I am so not getting entangled in this mess.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/01/11 - 04:12 pm
Some were dragged in this

Some were dragged in this mess WB....

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 10/01/11 - 04:38 pm
Seenit, it was such a

Seenit, it was such a beautiful day, even my dogs were :)ing. Your avatar just always makes me want to hug them.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/01/11 - 05:02 pm
It has been

It has been beautiful.....calm-peaceful-cool--& the DOGS WON!!

At first I thought you were going to say my avatar makes you want to hug me.....heheheh.....my pup looked just like that as a puppy--now she is a senior citizen..:)

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 10/01/11 - 05:21 pm
You know what they say,

You know what they say, Seenit, every dog has her day!

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/01/11 - 07:05 pm
SeenitB4, even senior

SeenitB4, even senior citizens need hugs too! :)

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/01/11 - 07:09 pm
I see some of you like to

I see some of you like to mock my faith.
That's Ok I'm not offended. Some of you of other faiths take your holidays from mine such as Christmas, Halloween, Easter among others. I will burn some sage and say a prayer for you.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/01/11 - 07:12 pm
River and seenit I love you

River and seenit I love you guys! You make me laugh! Don't change for anyone! Have some shrimp on me!

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 10/01/11 - 08:19 pm
For once, I actually agree

For once, I actually agree with Cassandra (yes, it is snowing in hot places). Christianity is not a religion. Instead, it's based upon a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, -- a real person and not a tree, some mythical spaghetti monster, or mother earth goddess.

Vito45
Vito45 10/01/11 - 11:06 pm
ICL, I have no clue who the

ICL, I have no clue who the thin skinned whiners are. All I know is I've had posts pulled for reasons beyond my understanding; so I'm left to believe it is thin skinned (or out of touch with reality) whiners.

JRC2024
JRC2024 10/01/11 - 11:51 pm
Lighten up Cassandra, It was

Lighten up Cassandra, It was a beautiful day and is a nice night.
For those that report what they do not like to the moderator-I say you should not be here if you can't handle others ideas and criticism. And River, I did alot of howling in high school, D. W. Fry's, Man of War and the Holiday Inn on Washington Rd. Loved every second of it until the next day.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/02/11 - 07:59 am
shrimp ...Did I ever tell you

shrimp ...Did I ever tell you that you have excellent taste in your fellow posters....don't worry...we couldn't change if we wanted to! :O)

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/03/11 - 05:49 am
Vito45, I will say I've never

Vito45, I will say I've never read anything you've posted that should have been pulled but it could just be a case of the spam filter catching something. Usually a simple email to Sean will get you a quick explanation.