Only way to heaven is spelled out in Bible

The worst tragedy in the history of mankind is not recorded in history books, yet it continues today.

The Rev. Paul L. Cook  Zach Boyden-Holmes/Staff
Zach Boyden-Holmes/Staff
The Rev. Paul L. Cook

Mankind's worst tragedy is the hundreds of millions of people who have been deceived by Satan by placing their faith in false religions. The Holy Bible records the words of Jesus Christ in Matthew 7:15 when he warned, "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."

The Bible also tells us in Hebrews 9:27, "It is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment." All of us will experience physical death, yet the soul of every human being will live for all eternity in either heaven or hell.

Though there are thousands of religions, there is only one way to heaven. Jesus said in John 14:6, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

In every instance recorded in the Bible when a person asked how to be saved, the answer is always the same: "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved." There is no other way to heaven except by faith in Jesus Christ as one's personal Lord and Savior. Religion has never saved a single soul and never will.

In fact, the good works of men and women cannot earn them a way to heaven. The Bible tells us in Ephesians 2:8-9, "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."

Any attempt to find salvation other than by faith in Jesus will result in spending eternity in hell. Sadly, many people believe they can earn their way to heaven by good works, or by church membership, or by baptism, or by putting their faith in the pope, or the virgin Mary, or Buddha, or Mohammed or some other human being.

I urge ministers to stop preaching the secular gospel of social issues and politics and preach the love of God by salvation in Jesus. The Bible says in Acts 4:12, "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is no other name (Jesus Christ) under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."

THE REV. PAUL COOK IS A SEMI-RETIRED SOUTHERN BAPTIST PASTOR.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 07/24/10 - 08:42 am
Kelly, (and Paul) thank you

Kelly, (and Paul) thank you for this article that brings some balance to the "Your Faith" section. These words are diametrically opposite to articles from recent (so-called)"Christian" contributors that were on the radical fringe and, actually, were hardly Christian at all. It it great to see some plain, biblical truth laid out accurately and without apology. I'm sure many will disagree with these words, but at least they have been stated. They (finally) bring better balance to the information in this section. Nice job.

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 07/24/10 - 04:45 pm
Yes, this is a powerful

Yes, this is a powerful article (you might even say it cooks). Pastor Paul has made everything so clear that nobody can miss the truth. "... There is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus: who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time" (1 Timothy 2:5-6 KJV). It was about time for a columnist to set the record straight. Thank you, Pastor Paul.

impossible
impossible 07/24/10 - 07:27 pm
You are absolutely correct to

You are absolutely correct to state that salvation comes only through Jesus Christ, but one should be careful of oversimplification. Jesus became incarnate, suffered, died and rose from the dead to redeem ALL OF MANKIND. It is possible that those who are invincibly ignorant of Jesus can go to Heaven.
I haven’t met a Christian who thinks that his/her works can earn salvation which can only be earned by the grace of Jesus Christ, but one should not ignore the book of James either. James 2:15-17 “Faith without works is dead.” What this verse is saying is that we need to not only talk the talk but walk the walk. We walk the walk by the grace of Jesus Christ.
You could have and should have stated your premise without going on the attack by saying, “Sadly, many people believe they can earn their way to heaven by good works, or by church membership, or by baptism, or by putting their faith in the pope, or the Virgin Mary, or Buddha, or Mohammed or some other human being.” Regarding Baptism, go to: http://www.catholic.com/library/Necessity_of_Baptism.asp
Regarding Church Membership, Jesus must have thought there is some benefit or he would not have founded the Church (Matthew 16:18). Obviously, being a member of the Church or of one of the 30,000 or so splinter denominations formed since the Reformation does not guarantee salvation.
Why do you get so hung up on Mary, the Mother of God? You no doubt ask your earthly friends to pray for you. Does that mean that yoiu consider them to be the "mediator?" I think not. How much more reasonable and efficacious are the prayers of the saints in Heaven, and I have no doubt that Mary is the preeminent saint. Asking them to pray for us, especially Mary, is quite logical. If you asked him, would Jesus tell you that you should not venerate (honor) his Mother?
I haven’t met a Christian who “puts his FAITH in the Pope.” I can’t speak with any authority about Buddha or Mohammed except to say that neither you nor I can judge the eternal destiny of any human being, since Jesus redeemed all mankind – the rest is up to each individual to do the best they can with the knowledge they have.
More on the Pope: Jesus not only founded the Catholic Church but gave it authority, telling it to preach everything he taught (Matt 28:19-20) and promised the protection of the Holy Spirit, “To guide you into all truth” (John 16:13). The Catholic Church is preserved from error in matters of "faith and morals" (Matt 16:18 & 1 Tim 3:15) even if individual Catholics might err.
Every Christian should read and accept the entire Gospel, not just those they choose to accept.

SeeYa
SeeYa 07/24/10 - 08:21 pm
Rev. Cook, thank you and

Rev. Cook, thank you and AMEN!

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 07/24/10 - 11:02 pm
I too believe that baptism is

I too believe that baptism is essential for salvation. Act 2:38 says very clearly that baptism is what effects forgiveness and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. The conversion of Saul confirms this model. Saul met, believed in, and confessed Christ on the Road to Damascus. He repented in darkness for 3 days. Then, when Ananias came to him, he told Saul to be baptized in order to wash away his sin. Obviously, it was baptism that was necessary for forgiveness, just like Acts 2:38 says, as well as 1 Peter 3:21.

Scripture paints a very unified and complete picture in terms of the importance of baptism.

However, I see nowhere in scripture where we pray to any "saints" (since we're ALL saints according to Paul), but we pray instead through Christ and Christ alone as our sole mediator. I don't believe the Bible suggests that any heavenly Christians hear prayers from earth.

impossible
impossible 07/25/10 - 05:37 pm
Howcanweknow Nowhere in the

Howcanweknow Nowhere in the bible are we instructed to believe in Sola Scriptura. To the contrary we are told that the Church is the pillar and foundation of truth. See: 1 Timothy 3:15.
A long but helpful work on Saints and Intercessory Prayer; it has many helpful scriptural references: http://www.scripturecatholic.com/saints.html
You no doubt pray to the Holy Spirit, but nowhere in the Bible are we told to do so. Likewise, you believe in the Trinity which word is not found in the Bible.
You might find this piece by Dave Armstrong, a former Protestant, to be helpful regarding prayer to saints: http://www.chnetwork.org/forum/trinitarianism-and-christology/the-lack-o...

Kelly Jasper
Kelly Jasper 07/25/10 - 07:45 pm
Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks for the feedback!

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 07/25/10 - 10:01 pm
Impossible, have you read the

Impossible, have you read the notes in the New American Bible, an English translation from the Roman Catholic Church? Some of them sound as though they could've come from Marcus Borg or the lieutenant colonel.

Our Lord taught that Moses had written of Him (John 5:46). The NAB's introduction to the Pentateuch, however, says Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy came from four traditions: the Yahwist (J), the Elohist (E), the Priestly (P), the Deuteronomic (D).

The notes to Acts 2:1-41 say the events on Pentecost were not nearly so dramatic as presented in that passage. "It is likely that the narrative telescopes events that took place over a period of time and on a less dramatic scale."

Does that sound like something we should expect from "the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of truth" (1 Timothy 3:15 KJV)?

Have you compared the NAB's notes to those in the Orthodox Study Bible? The OSB doesn't have any of that skeptical garbage; in fact, it's plain that the OSB's annotators trusted and respected the precious words of God.

By the way, the Eastern Orthodox say the RCC broke off from them, and they don't see the RCC in Matthew 16:18 or 1 Timothy 3:15. I find the EOs to be more believable than the RCC.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 07/25/10 - 10:40 pm
Wish I had see this sooner.

Wish I had see this sooner. Thank you all for the great discussion. I will use it in my research and studies!

impossible
impossible 07/26/10 - 12:17 am
Fundamental_ArminianSunday,

Fundamental_ArminianSunday, Jul. 25 10:01 PMnew Sola scriptura with each reader being the authority/interpreter on scripture has produced an estimated 30,000 protestant denominations. Jesus founded one Church which has survived 2,000 years, whereas the man-made churches just keep spinning off. Perhaps you should read the works of a genuine scholar like Cardinal John Henry Newman and follow in his path. I’ll put my “money” on him and on biblical scholars like Scott Hahn. They both studied church history extensively in an effort to prove the falsity of the Catholic Church but instead convinced themselves to become Catholics.
In 1844 Cardinal John Henry Newman, while still a Protestant, started to work back century by century, seeing if Catholic beliefs that existed at any particular time could be traced to beliefs existing a century before. Century by century he went back, until he got to New Testament times. What he learned is that there is a real continuity of beliefs, that the Catholic Church has existed from day one of Church history and that it is in fact the Church established by Christ. His research convinced him of the truth of the Catholic faith, and as the book was finished he converted to Catholicism. Catholics can trace their bishops back through time, bishop by bishop, all the way to the apostles and can show that the Pope is the lineal successor to St. Peter, who was the first bishop of Rome. No doubt, Newman’s research and writing of An Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine accounts for his conclusion that “To be deep in history is to cease to be Protestant.”
For what it’s worth, I don’t like the NAB. The RSV Catholic Edition is much better. Either way, the Bible cannot be treated like a cafeteria line where one can pick and choose to accept only some of what Jesus said and not the rest.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 07/26/10 - 03:19 pm
Impossible, I could be wrong,

Impossible, I could be wrong, but nowhere in the Bible (to my knowledge) are we taught sola fide or sola ecclesia (I probably made that last phrase up). You need faith, based on the instruction of scripture and obedience to that word, for salvation.The role of the church is to teach the truth of scripture and help promote the Kingdom in the lives of Christians and the world. There are no verses (again, to my knowledge) that say all you have to do is believe or be a church member, and that's it.

If the church is the pillar of truth, then from whence cometh that truth? Scripture, obviously. Jesus said HE was the truth. We're also told that the WORD is truth. I do not recall a verse that says the church is truth -- the church is to teach the truth, of course, but I don't see scripture where the church (post-apostolic) actually formulates truth on its own, such that it is authoritative (compared to the Bible). Truth is, most of the epistles were written to address a specific idea that the church had WRONG! If the church is the source of truth, then it must have been doing a pretty bad job at the beginning. The apostles had to step in and chastise and encourage the church to get the facts straight, and get back on track. Paul even had to do the same to Peter (the first Pope?) -- I mean if even Peter was in error and needed to be corrected, how can we think that church leaders are infallible? Peter certainly was not. That's not interpretation or opinion, that's right out of the NT.

You asked me to examine 1 Tim 3:15, and I certainly agree that the church is the pillar because it teaches the truth of God's Word. I would ask you to review 2 Tim 3:15-17 where it is made very clear that it is the word of God that is the cornerstone of everything. In this passage, curiously, nowhere do we see anything mentioned about the "church". Not saying the church is not important -- believe me -- but I believe scriptures teaches that the church is where the truth is taught and put into practice, not generated.

No, I don't pray to the Holy Spirit. Actually, according to the Bible, it is the Holy Spirit that intercedes for me when I can't put my needs into words. I really don't pray to Jesus, per se, but I pray THROUGH Jesus and in His name, as he is my high priest that made a way for me to access the Father through the blood He gave to purify me. So, that's my understanding of how we are to pray -- through Christ and Christ alone, and with the aid of the Holy Spirit. I do not need the help of any saints, nor would I ever consider asking another saint to intercede for me, because I am a saint myself. Why ask a "saint" for help (even if that were possible), when I have the Holy Spirit to intercede for me? Is the power of the Holy Spirit so inadequate that I need to ask for help from another "saint"? Anyone who is set apart for the work of the Kingdom is a "saint" -- a sanctified one. Jesus did that for me, not some church committee.

Yes, I do ask other "saints" to pray for me here on earth. I believe that is a really good thing. But, I do not believe that is the same thing as asking them to intercede with God for me. My connection to God is via Christ, not another saint. My connection is supported by the Holy Spirit, not another saint. My fellow saints here on earth have the same connections with God, and I do not mediate those connections either. Besides, the Bible is very specific in warning us NOT to attempt to contact the souls of people who have died. That's a big no-no. To me at least, invoking / praying to a dead saint (even though they are in heaven) comes too dangerously close to trying to make contact with a dead person. I'll pray to God through Christ (with the assistance of the Holy Spirit), and that's it. I really believe going beyond that scripturally-taught method is not a good idea, and is actually needless. Again, if you have Jesus and the Holy Spirit interceding between you and the Father, why would you think you might need a dead saint too?

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 07/26/10 - 09:20 am
Also, there should never be

Also, there should never be "my interpretation vs. your interpretation" either. 2 Peter 1:10-11 tells us that scripture came from God, not man, and no one has the right to come up with their own interpretation. Of course, that's what has happened, and you are exactly right that the main reason why we have so many denominations today is that people have decided they know better than what the word plainly says, and they come up with their own interpretation. Confusion reigns, in many cases.

But, man's weaknesses should not be allowed to supercede the fact that the Word of God is truth, and there's where we have to seek what God is really saying. I think that's what we're trying to do here, and is a valuable exercise.

A motto of my church is "In matters of doctrine, unity. In matters of opinion, flexibility. In all matters, love."

Pastor Dan White
Pastor Dan White 07/26/10 - 11:01 pm
howcanweknow - You said,

howcanweknow - You said, "Jesus said HE was the truth." Correction: Jesus IS the truth.

You said, "It is the Holy Spirit that intercedes for me when I can't put my needs into words." Correction: He is the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the third person in the Holy Trinity. He and not it.

Pastor Dan White
Pastor Dan White 07/26/10 - 11:15 pm
howcanweknow - Your church's

howcanweknow - Your church's motto is spot on!

You said, "We have so many denominations today is that people have decided they know better than what the word plainly says, and they come up with their own interpretation." That may be a reason for different denominations, but I think the overarching reason is that denominationalism sprang up because of issues of power. That is, who would rule? Who would have the power?

The Corinthian Church was splintered into those who followed Paul, Peter, Apollos, and Christ. If we could all have the humble spirit of the Apostle Paul who wrote, "I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow," then we might never have had denominational fractures.

Cyprian in the third century said, "You cannot have God for your Father unless you have the church for your Mother." I agree with that. I don't think there can be any "Lone Ranger Christians." We are birthed into Christ and into the body of Christ which is the church.

When Paul was confronted by the risen Christ on the road to Damascus where he was headed to persecute the church, "Jesus asked him, Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me." Thus, Christ equated Himself with the church, His bride and His body.

Pastor Dan White
Pastor Dan White 07/26/10 - 11:17 pm
howcanweknow - I agree that

howcanweknow - I agree that the church is not a source of truth, but I do view the church as a repository for truth.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 07/27/10 - 08:57 am
Pastor Dan, not sure why you

Pastor Dan, not sure why you needed to correct some of things that I wrote. I agree with you, and was saying pretty much the same thing you said. Maybe my writing was not as clear as it needed to be, but I was trying to convey the very same things that you wrote. We pretty much agree on everything here.

I know the Holy Spirit is a "He", and never an "it". I did not mean to deny Him personhood. I totally agree with you that denominations can spring up because of power struggles. If you can convince people that you have "superior" knowledge, then you have more control, and some people crave that. Sort of like neo-Gnosticism. Just let God's word be the truth standard -- not what someone says God says -- and I don't think we'd have all these splits and splinters. It is sad.

Pastor Dan White
Pastor Dan White 07/27/10 - 09:48 am
howcanweknow - just trying to

howcanweknow - just trying to be helpful with the corrections. Didn't mean to offend you in any way. Many of the dear people I pastor and have served through the years called the Holy Spirit it, and I teach them to correctly to refer to the Holy Spirit as He, and explain that our God is a personal God and not a thing. I just had my my pastor's hat on and didn't mean offense.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 07/27/10 - 12:33 pm
Oh please, no offense taken.

Oh please, no offense taken. I just wanted to make sure that you know I agreed with you, and that I fully believe the Holy Spirit is HE not it. No problem. I am not a pastor, but am just a layman. So, some professional advice is always welcome!

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 07/29/10 - 05:56 am
Howcanweknow, I appreciate

Howcanweknow,

I appreciate what you and Pastor Dan have contributed to this thread. As to your sentence "It is the Holy Spirit that intercedes for me when I can't put my needs into words," I see no problem. The pronoun "it" often functions as an expletive (a word used to begin a clause or sentence that would otherwise be awkward).

For instance, John 21:7 reads: "Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved saith unto Peter, 'It is the Lord.' Now when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he girt his fisher's coat unto him, (for he was naked,) and did cast himself into the sea" (KJV).

Of course, the KJV's translators weren't denying that our Lord is a He: they were simply using "it" to introduce a sentence and clause that otherwise would've been awkward.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 07/29/10 - 09:19 am
Ahhh, I see. Thanks for

Ahhh, I see. Thanks for pointing that out, F_A. That makes sense now. I'll try to be more careful in the future.

impossible
impossible 07/30/10 - 12:37 pm
Howcanweknow Jul. 26 3:19

Howcanweknow Jul. 26 3:19 PM:
A couple of questions for you:
ONE: I believe that Jesus repeated only one thing six times in the NT. Can you tell me what it is?
TWO: God breathed on man only twice in Scripture. Can you tell me which times?
Some of our “disagreements” seem to be more semantic than substantive. As I am sure you already realize, the expression, “Nowhere in the Bible,” is a two-edged sword. On close examination we probably agree on the grace, faith and works. God’s revelation after the Incarnation comes to us via the written word of Scripture and the oral Tradition (capital “T”) See: http://users.binary.net/polycarp/bible.html
If you have time, take a look at these scriptures regarding saints/angels: http://www.scripturecatholic.com/saints.html
Church teaching authority of which I speak relates only to matters of “faith and morals.” The circumcision issue of which you speak was resolved in what was in effect the first Church Council – circumcision was OT precursor to Baptism. “Nowhere in the Bible,” including 2 Tim 3:15-17 does it say that everything Jesus said and did is in the Bible. I have no quarrel with this verse as far as it goes. If by the “Word of God,” you mean Jesus, then yes “he” is the cornerstone of everything.
We agree that all revelation ended with the death of the last apostle to die. God’s revelation, via Scripture, the canon of which was given to the world by the Catholic Church, and Holy Tradition which pre-dated that Canon which came in the 4th Century are what my Church refers to as the “Deposit of Faith,” and that is what the Church safeguards and teaches.
REGARDING NO CONTACT WITH THE DEAD:
Sometimes Fundamentalists object to asking our fellow Christians in heaven to pray for us by declaring that God has forbidden contact with the dead in passages such as Deuteronomy 18:10–11. In fact, he has not, because he at times has given it—for example, when he had Moses and Elijah appear with Christ to the disciples on the Mount of Transfiguration (Matt. 17:3). What God has forbidden is necromantic practice of conjuring up spirits. "There shall not be found among you any one who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, any one who practices divination, a soothsayer, or an augur, or a sorcerer, or a charmer, or a medium, or a wizard, or a necromancer. . . . For these nations, which you are about to dispossess, give heed to soothsayers and to diviners; but as for you, the Lord your God has not allowed you so to do. The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among you, from your brethren—him you shall heed" (Deut. 18:10–15).

God thus indicates that one is not to conjure the dead for purposes of gaining information; one is to look to God’s prophets instead. Thus one is not to hold a seance. But anyone with an ounce of common sense can discern the vast qualitative difference between holding a seance to have the dead speak through you and a son humbly saying at his mother’s grave, "Mom, please pray to Jesus for me; I’m having a real problem right now." The difference between the two is the difference between night and day. One is an occult practice bent on getting secret information; the other is a humble request for a loved one to pray to God on one’s behalf.
A bit more on the saints in Heaven. Only the body dies, not the soul. The souls of the saints in Heaven are every bit as alive as yours and mine. We agree that everything good is through Christ.
1 Cor. 1:2; Rom. 1:7 - we are called to be saints. Saints refer to both those on earth and in heaven who are in Christ. Proof:
Acts 9:13,32,41; 26:10; 1 Cor. 6:1-2; 14:33; 2 Cor. 1:1; 8:4; 9:1-2; 13:13; Rom. 8:27; 12:23; 15:25,26, 31; 16:2,15; Eph. 1:1,15,18; 3:8; 5:3; 6:18; Phil. 1:1; 4:22; Col 1:2,4,26; 1 Tm 5:10; Philemon 1:5,7; Heb. 6:10; 13:24; Jude 1:3; Rev. 11:18; 13:7; 14:12; 16:6; 17:6;18:20,24; Rev 19:8; 20:9 - in these verses, we see that Christians still living on earth are called "saints."
Matt. 27:52; Eph. 2:19; 3:18; Col. 1:12; 2 Thess. 1:10; Rev. 5:8; 8:3-4; 11:18; 13:10 - in these verses, we also see that "saints" also refer to those in heaven who united with us.
Dan. 4:13,23; 8:23 – we also see that the angels in heaven are also called “saints.” The same Hebrew word “qaddiysh” (holy one) is applied to both humans and angels in heaven. Hence, there are angel saints in heaven and human saints in heaven and on earth. Loving beings (whether angels or saints) are concerned for other beings, and prayer is the spiritual way of expressing that love.

John 16:13: "When He, the Spirit of Truth comes, He will lead you into all truth." This was directed to the Apostles, to the Church, not to each and every Christian of that day or of today who separate and parse verses instead of believing in the integrity of the whole of Scripture.
Would Jesus, being God and Man, establish a Church and not give IT authority? Since with God there is no “time,” He sees all without being limited by time and space. He has known from all time what you and I who are time bound will say when next we “talk.” Like it or not, it is a reality that God founded one Church, not a myriad of denominations that preach contradictory “truths” which is by definition impossible. Another perhaps said it better: The Spirit does move within the laity, and often very powerfully. But that same Spirit moves within the Church organization that was given authority to guide us. And, most importantly, that Spirit is the Spirit of Truth. Thus, the same Spirit cannot be speaking from both the Church and the laity if the things spoken intrinsically contradict one another.
Thanks for your thoughtful comments which I believe were offered with a spirit of charity. Mine are as well.

impossible
impossible 07/30/10 - 12:46 pm
Howcanweknow. More detail

Howcanweknow. More detail for your reference to 2 Timothy 3:16-17: "All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work" (2 Tim. 3:16–17).

This passage doesn’t teach formal sufficiency, which excludes a binding, authoritative role for Tradition and Church. Protestants extrapolate onto the text what isn’t there. If we look at the overall context of this passage, we can see that Paul makes reference to oral Tradition three times (cf. 2 Tim. 1:13–14; 2:2; 3:14). And to use an analogy, let’s examine a similar passage:

"And his gifts were that some should be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the cunning of men, by their craftiness in deceitful wiles. Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ" (Eph. 4:11–15).

If 2 Timothy 3 proves the sole sufficiency of Scripture, then, by analogy, Ephesians 4 would likewise prove the sufficiency of pastors and teachers for the attainment of Christian perfection. In Ephesians 4, the Christian believer is equipped, built up, brought into unity and mature manhood, and even preserved from doctrinal confusion by means of the teaching function of the Church. This is a far stronger statement of the perfecting of the saints than 2 Timothy 3, yet it does not even mention Scripture.

So if all non-scriptural elements are excluded in 2 Timothy, then, by analogy, Scripture would logically have to be excluded in Ephesians. It is far more reasonable to recognize that the absence of one or more elements in one passage does not mean that they are nonexistent. The Church and Scripture are both equally necessary and important for teaching.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/30/10 - 03:29 pm
Impossible, I bow in awe and

Impossible, I bow in awe and respect. I strongly suspect we have inhabited the same pews many times. Please, if you are of a mind, send me an email via my contact information and I will let you know who I am IRL.

impossible
impossible 07/30/10 - 04:18 pm
Fiat_Lux. Thanks for your

Fiat_Lux. Thanks for your kind remarks. There is nothing new under the sun, so my comments are necessarily not my own but result from years of discussions and a desire to keep learning. I am a great borrower of thoughts and ideas.
As for your request: One of my best friends saw some of my early "Impossible" posts and strongly suggested that he knew my name. I didn't tell him, so it would not be appropriate for me to tell you whom I presumably don't know. Maybe we actually know each other. If I decide to tell him, I will reconsider.
Same pews? In one post your mentioned being Eastern. I am Latin.

markhoward
markhoward 02/11/14 - 03:58 am
Jesus is the only way to Heaven

Will you go to Heaven when you die? Here's a quick test. Have you ever told a lie, stolen anything, or used God's name in vain? Jesus said, "Whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart." Have you looked with lust? Will you be guilty on Judgment Day? If you have done those things, God sees you as a lying, thieving, blasphemous, adulterer at heart. The Bible warns that if you are guilty you will end up in Hell! That's not God's will. He sent His Son to suffer and die on the cross for you. You broke God's Law, but Jesus paid your fine. That means He can legally dismiss your case. He can commute your death sentence: John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." Then Jesus rose from the dead and defeated death. Please, repent (turn from sin) today and trust in Jesus alone to save you!

Mark the California surfer dude

Augusta's ties to Liberia date back to 1836

Richmond County’s ties to West Africa date back to the 1830s, when plantation owner Richard Tubman wrote in his will that his slaves were to be offered freedom. More recently, Augustans have ...