Duck Dynasty vs. Andy Griffith Show

TV's old favorite and a popular newcomer have much in common

Saturday, July 27, 2013 9:21 AM
Last updated 9:45 AM

“Duck Dynasty” or “The Andy Griffith Show?”

Back | Next
'Andy Griffith' a TV classic  File
File
'Andy Griffith' a TV classic

While eating with a group of friends known as the lunch bunch, I suggested that we compare and contrast two of my favorite television programs.

“How can we do that?” one pal asked. “One is a reality show and one is fiction.”

Yes, I admitted, but they both are such wonderful shows in a television world that’s — in a word — awful. To me, the lazy, hazy, crazy days and nights of summer make for the perfect escape and I prefer to let Calgon take me away – to recall a vintage bubble bath commercial — to Mayberry, N.C., and West Monroe, La.

I can watch episodes of “The Andy Griffith Show” for hours on end and laugh out loud at most everything Deputy Barney Fife does or attempts. (In full disclosure, my loyalty to the show waned after Barney moved to Raleigh.) Characters like Andy, Aunt Bea, Opie, Otis Campbell, cousins Goober and Gomer Pyle and Ernest T. Bass have a special place in my heart.

It matters not that I’ve seen every episode of “The Andy Griffith Show” 20-plus times and can recite the dialogue of the characters who live in fictitious Mayberry. I laugh every dadburn time, as Andy might say, ‘You beat everything, you know that Barney?” or when Barney philosophizes “The giraffe is a selfish animal.”

On the other side of the spectrum, the more serious episodes can bring tears to my eyes. If you’re a fan, think of the show when Opie accidentally kills a mama bird with his slingshot, or when grumpy Ben Weaver has a family man arrested on Christmas.

No wonder, some Sunday school classes study the show for its morality lessons.

Fast forward from the early 1960s when Andy and his crowd entertained us in black and white to the present day when the Robertson family escapades are filmed in living color. Admittedly, it took me a while to warm up to “Duck Dynasty” but it didn’t take long for me to become a die-hard fan. While channel surfing one night, I switched to the A&E network, saw the Robinson men with their beards, camouflage clothes and guns, and figured the show just wasn’t for me. Later, though, I gave the show another chance, tuned in longer and was hooked. In fact, I found myself laughing out loud at the zany antics of Willie, Jase, Uncle Si, Godwin and Mountain Man.

The show centers around Phil Robertson, his wife Kay, their grown sons and families, Phil’s brother Si and various other characters, all of whom live in the real-life city of West Monroe. The Robertsons own Duck Commander, a successful duck call business. They hunt, fish and fill their days with plenty of old-fashioned fun. Some say the show is staged but I shrug my shoulders and ask, “So what?”

When I compare “Duck” to “Andy,” I consider the characters: With his wit and wisdom Phil is akin to wise Sheriff Andy; crazy Uncle Si reminds me of Barney Fife, and Miss Kay is like Aunt Bea. The Robertson boys respect their father in the same way that Opie admires Andy. Sprinkle in a few secondary characters like Otis/Godwin, Gomer/Mountain Man and Helen Crump/Korry Robertson and you have two hit television shows.

I’d take five minutes of “Duck” or “Andy” over an entire season of “Keeping Up With the Kardashians” or “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo.”

No curse words are bleeped out on “Duck” or “Andy” because the stars don’t curse. Body parts aren’t blurred because the players don’t have wardrobe malfunctions.

Call me sentimental, but I really enjoy watching Andy sitting on the front porch playing his guitar and singing, and I love each parting scene of “Duck” episode, which shows the Robertson family gathered around the dinner table waiting for patriarch Phil to bless the food.

Give me a lazy summer’s night and a few episodes of “Duck” and “Andy” and I’m happy, happy, happy.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 07/27/13 - 09:52 am
Absolutely,

positively!

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/27/13 - 10:47 am
You speak for a lot of us, Polly

And that's the sorry truth about what currently passes for entertainment in America.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/27/13 - 11:03 am
I agree Fiat

One of the best programs on tv right now...quack quack..LOVE IT!

Sweet son
Sweet son 07/27/13 - 12:05 pm
Dittos here!!

I grew up on one and am growing old on the other!!

Sweet son
Sweet son 07/27/13 - 12:06 pm
Just gave myself a

thumbs up! LOL!

etlinks
20872
etlinks 07/27/13 - 12:14 pm
Good one sweet!

Saw a article where Phil may leave the show, hope its not true.

mpridgen803
mpridgen803 07/27/13 - 12:30 pm
No, they are both fiction!

No, they are both fiction! Just because it says reality, dont mean that there isnt someone behind the camera telling you what or how to say something, or what to do. Duck dynasty is a prime example of that. Andy all the way!

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/27/13 - 12:39 pm
If the Robertson's traveled

If the Robertson's traveled to the river around Branchville, they would look and act exactly like everyone there. I doubt those people even get the show because it's natural to them.

As far as Andy, I've read the production techniques and values of that program are studied even today. The directing and camera work were extraordinary.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/27/13 - 01:03 pm
Absolutely DD is staged, but

Absolutely DD is staged, but so was Andy Griffith and every other show with "actors". That doesn't mean you can't enjoy the innocent, family oriented banter and interaction though. For that matter, every "reality" show I've ever seen has some degree of "staging".

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/27/13 - 02:02 pm
Oh, don't get me wrong, I

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love DD. But it is the age old theme of the country bumpkin vs. the outside world.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/27/13 - 07:43 pm
Speaking Of Andy Griffith,

My 4th son really loved watching that TV program.

Inscribed on his 4' x 8', Pennsylvania Black Marble Base stone is...

"I Wish There Was A Place Like Mayberry"

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 07/27/13 - 09:32 pm
CG - sweet

The GOB was serf ing the channels and stopped on DD - he got their humor - some don't

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/27/13 - 09:58 pm
Love both shows too. And now

Love both shows too. And now I'm becoming a "Turtle Man" fan too. This guy makes Stephen Segal and Tarzan look like wimps. This idiot (what else can you call em) will grab a turtle, opossum, venous snakes, porcupine, coyote, raccoon, skunk, next will be a grown cougar. I guess the part of your brain that says "danger, danger, danger" was damaged at birth. I watched Steve Irwin cause I expected him to be eaten by a croc but I don't think any harm will come to Turtle man. Definite, definite, definite proof there is a God.

Young Fred
Young Fred 07/28/13 - 03:43 am
When it gets right down to it

When it gets right down to it – Andy and Duck has something that “solid” people can relate to!

They're both fiction, but hey – if you get down to it – many of us live a life that could be considered fiction by others. Solid people. Trying to be solid citizens. Trying to do right by ourselves.

Bizkit – I hear you! One of my best friends growing up IS the Turtle man! Looks like him, acts like him, heck, he sounds like him! First time I ever had a bullfrog leg/river clam souffle!!!

...Good times...

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/28/13 - 07:02 am
We yearn for wholesome entertainment

We see so little of that on tv today.....I can't take "You are not the babys daddie" but so many times.......uuuggh

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/28/13 - 09:02 am
Its called Mount Airy NC. Try visiting there sometimes.

Its called Mount Airy NC. Try visiting there sometimes.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/28/13 - 09:03 am
Mayberry is a place on the Blue Ridge Pkwy near Mtn Airy

Mayberry is a place on the Blue Ridge Pkwy near Mtn Airy

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/28/13 - 09:05 am
You can visit Pilot Mtn. near Mount Airy. See it from the BRPW

You can visit Pilot Mtn. near Mount Airy. See it from the BRPW

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/28/13 - 09:06 am
Jerry Springer TV makes us all feel superior. Good & moral.

Jerry Springer TV makes us all feel superior. Good & moral.

avidreader
avidreader 07/28/13 - 11:10 am
Thanks!

My wife encouraged me to sit down, relax, and enjoy Duck Dynasty. I did. I miss the simplicity of shows like Andy Griffith. I also relished sharing The Wonder Years with my boys when they were young and impressionable (all seven seasons are now on NetFlix).

Polly, I hope you will continue writing for the AC. We all need a break from our modern illnesses.