If the garden hasn’t called yet, here are some upcoming events that might entice:
• The Aiken Camellia Society will hold its 62nd Annual Camellia Show on Saturday 2 to 8 p.m., and Sunday 1 to 5 p.m. at the Aiken Mall. Also on hand will be Aiken Augusta Ikebana International Chapter 81 exhibiting floral arrangements and Fred Wieland with bonsai.
The show is free to the public and any camellia grower may enter blooms 8 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday.
• Cold Creek Nurseries, 398 Hitchcock Parkway in Aiken, has a poinsettia trade-in program, “Poinsettia for a Primrose.” You can bring in your poinsettia – any size, any condition, even purchased from another store – to Cold Creek Nurseries until Feb. 14 and trade it in for a free spring blooming primrose (one per customer.)
• The Aiken County Master Gardeners Lunch Box Series begins Jan. 21 with “starting plants from seeds” by Master Gardener Betty Crowther. Bring a lunch and enjoy the 12:30 p.m. lecture at Trinity United Methodist Church, 2724 Whiskey Road in Aiken. It is free and no reservation is required. Aiken Master Gardeners will be giving away samples of easy-to-start seeds for heirloom plants.
• The Lunch Box Series is a free series of gardening lectures that take place on the third Monday of each month, January through October. Save the dates for future Lunch Box Series: Feb. 18 “Turfgrass” – Sid Mullis; March 18 – Andy Cabe; April 15 “Attracting Bluebirds and Other Birds” – Jim Burke.; May 20 “Fire Ants” – Vicky Bertagnolli; June 17 “Woodland Plants” – Everette Jones; July 15 – Jim Bennett; Aug. 19 “Drought Tolerant Landscapes” – Gary Forrester; Sept. 16 “Ornamentals for the Fall Garden” – Pam Glogowski; and Oct. 21 “Butterflies and Plants They Love.”
• The Nola M. Falcone Speaker Series of the Sacred Heart Garden Festival presents Linda Copeland who will speak about her book Legends in The Garden that she wrote with Allan Armitage. The speech is Feb. 26 at 10 a.m. Tickets are $30 per person, and reservations are required. This event is part of the Sacred Heart Garden Festival and all proceeds benefit Sacred Heart Cultural Center.
• And save the date for March 2. Join Cold Creek Nurseries and the City of Aiken Parks, Recreation, and Tourism for a day trip to the Southern Home and Garden Show at the Park Expo and Conference Center in Charlotte, N.C. The trip begins at 7:30 a.m. Pre-registration and payment is required, and registration is open through Feb. 8. The cost is $59 and includes transportation, parking, and admission into the show. This trip is only for ages 18. Register in person at Cold Creek Nurseries or call (803) 648-3592. For more information on the show visit www.southernshows.com/sss.