Now that school is back in session weeknights are once again busy with after-school activities.
This week’s recipe for Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers makes a perfect family meal for nights when everyone is going in different directions. You simply combine all of the ingredients in the slow cooker in the morning and then turn it to “keep warm” when you return home so the family can eat as they come and go.
The base for the dish is some canned diced tomatoes, a little tomato sauce, Italian seasonings and sliced onions and bell peppers.
For the sausage, I prefer to use this extra lean chicken Italian sausage – but you can also use pork or turkey Italian sausages.
To serve, split some buns, top with some sliced provolone or mozzarella cheese and top with the sausages, peppers, onions and sauce.
A fresh fruit or tossed green salad can complete your meal.
SLOW COOKER SAUSAGE AND PEPPER HOAGIES
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes seasoned with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 packages sweet or hot Italian sausage (pork, chicken or turkey), 10 sausages total
- 1 large white or yellow onion, peeled and cut into strips
- 2 green bell peppers, cored, seeded and cut into strips
- Hoagie or hot dog rolls
- Sliced provolone or mozzarella cheese, optional
- Combine diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, sausages, onions and peppers in a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for six hours or on high for three to four hours.
- Split the rolls open and place a slice of cheese in the bottom. Top with a sausage and some of the peppers and onions.
- Makes 10 sandwiches.
Watch Karin prepare the recipe on Tuesdays on WJBF-TV 6 (ABC) at noon and Wednesdays during Good Morning Augusta.
We’re looking for your best kitchen creation, whether it’s a simple chili or an elaborate continental concoction. Our food writer, Karin Calloway, will re-create your dish, and we’ll feature it on the Wednesday food page of The Augusta Chronicle.
Send your recipe and contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org, or write to Recipe Favorites, Newsroom, The Augusta Chronicle, P.O. Box 1928, Augusta, GA 30903-1928.