The base for the salad is finely shredded cabbage, so you can throw this together on a Sunday and keep enjoying a crispy salad throughout the workweek.
Convenience products make the salad a snap to prepare. Pick up a package of angel hair shredded cabbage and a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket as the base.
The salad can be eaten right away, but the flavors really meld if it can rest in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight.
Pack it for lunch at the office or for your next picnic at the lake.
VIETNAMESE CHICKEN SALAD (GOI-GA)
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast meat
- 1 10-ounce package finely shredded cabbage
- 1 bunch mint leaves, washed and cut into thin slivers
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, about 1 large clove
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
Chopped red Fresno chili or jalapeno pepper, or to taste
In a large bowl, combine chicken, cabbage, mint, green onions and carrots.
Whisk the sugar, oil, garlic, rice vinegar, lime juice and chili together in a small bowl.
Pour dressing over the salad and toss lightly.
Makes 8 servings.