A large piece of fish, such as a side of salmon or bright pink steelhead trout, makes an impressive meal for guests. And the bonus – they couldn’t be simpler to prepare.
This week’s recipe for Sweet Chili Salmon takes just minutes to prep and can be cooked inside in a hot oven or outside on the grill.
Most supermarkets carry large fillets of salmon or trout, but if your supermarket doesn’t have any available you can substitute four to six salmon or steelhead trout fillets.
First, place the salmon on a large, wide piece of heavy duty foil and brush with a simple combination of Thai sweet chili sauce and soy sauce. You’ll want to roll the sides of the foil all the way around to create a rim.
You can put it onto a baking sheet in the oven, or place it directly on the grill.
The next step is whipping up a special sauce for the fish – a Creamy Sriracha Dressing that uses a little more of the sweet chili sauce along with some Sriricha hot sauce.
If you’re short on time, you can limit the sauce to a combination of mayonnaise and Sriracha sauce to taste.
The fish cooks in about five to six minutes on the grill, or 10 to 12 minutes in a 425-degree oven. Serve with white rice and sauteed spinach.
Watch our food writer, Karin Calloway, prepare the recipe at noon Tuesdays on television station WJBF (Channel 6) and Wednesdays during Good Morning Augusta.
We’re looking for your best kitchen creation, whether it’s a chili or a continental concoction. Calloway will re-create your dish, and we’ll feature it on the Wednesday food page of The Augusta Chronicle.
Send your recipe and contact information to email@example.com, or write to Recipe Favorites, Newsroom, The Augusta Chronicle, P.O. Box 1928, Augusta, GA 30903-1928.
SWEET CHILI SALMON WITH CREAMY SRIRACHA DRESSING
- 1 side of salmon or steelhead trout, about 2 pounds
- Garlic salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup prepared Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
Creamy Sriracha Dressing ingredients:
- ½ cup regular or reduced-fat mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Asian sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon Asian toasted sesame oil
- Salt, to taste
- Heat grill on high or heat oven to 425 degrees. Place a layer of heavy duty aluminum foil on a flat work surface and place the salmon, skin-side down, on the foil. Roll the foil so that there is a ridge on all four sides.
- Season with garlic salt and pepper.
- Combine the chili sauce and soy sauce in a small bowl and then spread over the salmon.
- If grilling, place the foil directly on the grill, close the grill and grill for five to six minutes, until done.
- If roasting, place the foil on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. Serve with the Creamy Sweet Chili Sauce.
- Makes four to six servings.
For the dressing: Whisk the mayonnaise, chili sauce, lime juice, Sriracha and sesame oil in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt. Cover and chill until ready to serve. Makes ¾ cup of dressing.