* 3 tablespoons butter
* 3 tablespoons flour
* 3 cups milk
* 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 5-6 medium baking potatoes
Set oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set it aside.
Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk, a little at a time. Cook until thickened, whisking occasionally, about 10 minutes.
Remove from the heat and stir in 1 cup of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
Peel and thinly slice the potatoes. Spoon a little of the sauce into the bottom of the prepared dish and add one layer of potatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and then spread with half of the sauce.
Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Use the remaining potatoes to make a second potato layer.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper and spread with the remaining sauce. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top and bake for 1 hour, until a paring knife inserted into the center easily goes through the potatoes. Edges should be browned and the sauce bubbly.
Makes 6-8 side-dish servings.
Potato Gratin with Four Cheeses and Ham
(Omit the ham when serving as a side dish)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk (I mixed half 1 percent and half 2 percent milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
- 4 ounces blue or Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan
- 6 small-medium baking potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
Set oven to 350 degrees.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high and add the ham. Cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and simmer on medium until thickened, about 8-10 minutes, whisking every few minutes to prevent sticking.
When thick, whisk in 1/3 of the Gruyere and blue cheeses and all of the Monterey Jack and Parmesan cheeses. Whisk in the cayenne and nutmeg. Taste and then add salt and pepper as needed.
Spray a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or grease with butter. Spread a few spoonfuls of the sauce over the bottom of the dish and cover with a layer of sliced potatoes. Season lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Spread half of the remaining sauce over the potatoes. Spread all of the sauteed ham over the sauce and then sprinkle with half of the remaining gruyere and blue cheeses.
Top with another layer potatoes and season lightly with salt and pepper. Spread the remaining sauce over the potatoes and sprinkle with the remaining cheeses. Bake for 1 hour, until the potatoes are cooked and the edges of the gratin are browned and bubbly.
Makes 6 main dish or 8 side dish servings.
- 1 2-pound bag frozen hash brown potatoes, defrosted
- 2 cups regular or reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 10 3/4-ounce can regular or reduced-fat condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine melted
- 2 cups corn flakes, crushed
Set oven to 350 degrees. Combine sour cream, cream of chicken soup, salt, pepper and cheese in a large bowl. Fold in the hash browns and pour into a 3-quart casserole that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
Combine melted butter or margarine with the crushed corn flakes and sprinkle over top. Bake for 45 minutes.
Makes 10 servings.
Slow Cooker Scalloped Potatoes
- 4 large baking potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 10 3/4-ounce can condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 1 10 3/4-ounce can condensed cream of potato soup
- 1 teaspoon garlic or onion powder
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
Cover the inside of slow cooker insert with nonstick spray. Combine the soups, milk and garlic or onion powder in medium bowl. Layer half the potatoes on the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle with black pepper, spread with half of the soup mixture and sprinkle with half of the shredded cheese. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
Makes 8 servings.