VeryVera owner takes competition

Local baker Vera Stewart was the winner Wednesday night in a carrot cake "throwdown" with Food Network star chef Bobby Flay.

Back | Next
Vera Stewart gets hugs after party    Staff
Staff
Vera Stewart gets hugs after party

Stewart, the owner of VeryVera in Augusta, pitted her secret family recipe against Flay, who tinkered with the traditional frosting by adding marshmallow fluff.

One of the two judges at the competition filmed at Savannah River Rapids was Mayor Deke Copenhaver, who pronounced: "I'm just here for some good cake."

Copenhaver immediately detected the marshmallow flavor in Flay's cake and said Stewart's cake was "a little sweeter."

Stewart was pronounced the winner after a blind taste test.

csrareader
csrareader 07/22/10 - 08:55 pm
Veg -- yes they did know.

Veg -- yes they did know. One of them cooked it and donated it for a charity fundraiser cake auction. Don't be bitter.

veggie-d
veggie-d 07/22/10 - 09:35 pm
csrareader- i'm not

csrareader-

i'm not bitter...i was suggesting that i'm sure you did tell'em...you like to let people know how/where you blow your money...or how "charitable" you are able to be because of your "massive amounts of riches"..."kinda tacky" i'd say.

Discussionstarter
Discussionstarter 07/22/10 - 10:17 pm
I agree; both of the judges

I agree; both of the judges should have been more neutral. Deke was not. I understand.... instead of dealing with issues that face us taxpayers in Harrisburg and Richmond County.... he is 'playing' out in Columbia County. I would rather spend 30 minutes watching Lori fight to save Harrisburg than Deke judging a cake baking contest.

gacookie81
gacookie81 07/23/10 - 05:22 am
It's so sad to see so many

It's so sad to see so many people that have nothing better to do than to bash Very Vera. What good can come of your negativity. Honestly those who think that the products there are over priced, think about this.. A cake (if bought in store) is $40 plus tax.. (Round up to $50) Now I have personally used a layer cake from Vera's and got 28 slices out of it. That means it is rougly $1.78 per slice (even if you do it 20 slices that comes to $2.50 a slice.. That is not expensive.. If you think of what goes into each cake, ovens, ingredients, the tins or cake domes they go in, labor, cake boards and ribbon that go on the cake boards.. That DOES NOT equal an $8 cake you can throw together at home. If you want to spend your $8 THEN TAKE YOUR OWN TIME TO MAKE IT AT HOME! Vera offers the convience of doing that for you and if you'd like, deliever it to your door. (add on dry ice or ice packs and styrophom containers to put it in to the cost of production) I've also been to many catered events done by Vera's and have found nothing but excellence from the wait staff to the food and all in between. Vera has built her company from the ground up and has lasted 26 years or so.. What have you done with your life? Ask yourself that.. If you don't like Vera's then don't go, that is your progative. But, don't beat her successes in the ground because you can't deal with your own failures or your mediocre life. And too, you weren't there at the taping so where do you come off saying it's "staged" Why don't you call the producers at Food Network and get the facts before you speak.. Shame on y'all, someone should call your mothers..

csrareader
csrareader 07/23/10 - 07:24 am
Veg - If you have it, flaunt

Veg - If you have it, flaunt it. You can't take it with you and I sure don't want it to go the criminals in Washington when my time is up. If you don't have it, keep working very hard and save every penny you can. Buy cheap cakes, eat at home, and who knows... one day, you may live comfortably also. In the meantime, there's no need to get on this forum and bash a lady who has made her money honestly through hard work. If you ever run across me in public, introduce yourself and I'll buy you a good meal.

csrareader
csrareader 07/23/10 - 08:27 am
Catfish, did you bother to

Catfish, did you bother to read any of Veg's posts? My thoughts on the subject... if he can't take a jab, he shouldn't be dishing out jabs. If you want to call me "condescending" for responding to his posts, so be it. I'll give you a pass because I'm not very concerned about criticism of me.

csrareader
csrareader 07/23/10 - 08:29 am
Catfish, it looks like they

Catfish, it looks like they deleted your post that I referenced. I didn't complain -- if you want to bash me, feel free.

CATFISHSTEW
CATFISHSTEW 07/23/10 - 08:55 am
Yes they did delete my

Yes they did delete my post....but" condescending " right on point. at least my post was seen by whom it was intended.And by the way I don't need you "give" me a pass or anything else for that matter. A fool and their money soon they part. P.S Yes I read all of the post...veg,yours and everyone who posted and I don't need your permission either. Eat Cake

csrareader
csrareader 07/23/10 - 09:30 am
Fish -- Thanks for your post.

Fish -- Thanks for your post. I'll eat my $100 cake and you can have your catfish stew. See... we can both be happy.