VeryVera owner takes competition

Local baker Vera Stewart was the winner Wednesday night in a carrot cake "throwdown" with Food Network star chef Bobby Flay.

Back | Next
Vera Stewart gets hugs after party    Staff
Staff
Vera Stewart gets hugs after party

Stewart, the owner of VeryVera in Augusta, pitted her secret family recipe against Flay, who tinkered with the traditional frosting by adding marshmallow fluff.

One of the two judges at the competition filmed at Savannah River Rapids was Mayor Deke Copenhaver, who pronounced: "I'm just here for some good cake."

Copenhaver immediately detected the marshmallow flavor in Flay's cake and said Stewart's cake was "a little sweeter."

Stewart was pronounced the winner after a blind taste test.

dominionfs
dominionfs 07/22/10 - 12:08 pm
C'mon people. Bobby Flay's

C'mon people. Bobby Flay's throwdown states his goal is to 'find the best then improve on it' How can he do that if he is the winner? He will get Vera's recipe, throw in a little cayanne pepper, claim he has improved it and sell some fools a $35 recipe book. It is tv for pete's sake.

veggie-d
veggie-d 07/22/10 - 12:30 pm
gordon ramsey blindfolds

gordon ramsey blindfolds CHEFS and has them eat various foods to determine what it is...he might hand'em a pigs eye and they eat it swearing it's a grape...or potato when its an apple...or guacamole when its tofu...he does this because the eye programs the brain to expect/seek out certain flavors in food it recognizes...

the ONLY way it coulda been fair to "judge" would be "BLIND"...and for THAT test...i must say...DEKE would be PERFECTLY QUALIFIED!

corgimom
corgimom 07/22/10 - 12:40 pm
The idea of marshmallow fluff

The idea of marshmallow fluff on carrot cake makes me GAG. Ugh.

SuperChick01
SuperChick01 07/22/10 - 12:46 pm
Some of these comments

Some of these comments disgust me. It's like, if you shop at Wal-Mart because that's what you can afford, and you sit around bashing the boutique for it's higher price. It's a matter of choice, and if you want a cookie cutter style cake from Wal-Mart, where half the time they get it wrong anyway, then go for it. But don't bash the place that does the original stuff for a higher price. I don't clothes shop at fancy little boutiques, but I wouldn't sit here and criticize them for being entrepreneurs and trying to make money for themselves. Ignorant.

veggie-d
veggie-d 07/22/10 - 12:45 pm
i will say veras pimento

i will say veras pimento cheese is better than her cake...but...its still just pimento cheese.

Emerydan
Emerydan 07/22/10 - 12:57 pm
I had one of her carrot cakes

I had one of her carrot cakes at a reception (that's the only way I would get to eat one, because there's no way on earth I would pay upwards of $50 for a carrot cake), and yes the cake was tasty, but, it was a CARROT CAKE for freakin sake! And no way did it taste like a $50 or $70 carrot cake.. and for that kind of money you would think the cake would be a little larger, but it's tiny! I can understand paying a lot for a wedding cake, something that involves lots of craftsmanship and time, but cmon folks, a Carrot cake?

SuperChick01
SuperChick01 07/22/10 - 01:07 pm
Do you know that there are

Do you know that there are people who pay $80 or more for a T-SHIRT at Augusta Mall? Just because of the name brand on it. What's the diff? Do ya'll bash those folks too?

lsmith
lsmith 07/22/10 - 01:15 pm
dbc: If you read the lead in

dbc: If you read the lead in stories on how this "throwdown" manifested you'd know it wasn't a true throwdown. The staff at Veras lobbied long and hard to get the thing arranged. It's not like Food TV seeked Veras out because of the reputation of the carrot cake. The entire show and premise was "staged" purposely at Savannah Rapids Pavillion with invited friends designated by the Vera company. What did Vera think she was doing with that elaborate setup and camera staging at Savannah Rapids? Who did she think she was preparing that cake for? Who suggested Deke? Let me guess....I agree with you that his pick on the cake was probably already in the can, how on earth could he NOT have picked Veras cake.
Oh well, many on here have suggested that maybe the cake is worth it and given that they still sell them everywhere I sure won't argue that point. My money comes too hard to spend $70....err.exuse me $40 or $50 on one cake, don't even think I could enjoy it knowing the price. But for those who like living large, go for it. And congratulations to the Vera staff for pulling off a really good publicity/marketing campaign, hope you sell lots mo cakes.

Yellow_Leaf
Yellow_Leaf 07/22/10 - 01:15 pm
I think she was over the top

I think she was over the top on the episode. It all seemed so fake. My grandmas cakes are way better than hers. Her food are extremely overrated. I heard there was some begging going on in order to get the food network down here anyways. It's pretty bad when you have to beg to get them to come see you. Just saying.

Emerydan
Emerydan 07/22/10 - 01:31 pm
Yes.. anyone he spends $80 on

Yes.. anyone he spends $80 on a t-shirt needs their head examined.. But as far as clothing goes.. a nice shirt or pair of slacks, or shoes lasts a lot longer than carrot cake.

dominionfs
dominionfs 07/22/10 - 02:00 pm
I'm betting the "marshmallow

I'm betting the "marshmallow fluff" on flays cake was so deke the dodger didn't have to call in his legal advisors to help him pick out vera's cake.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 07/22/10 - 02:05 pm
Well, let's see..a few things

Well, let's see..a few things to comment on. First off, congratulations to Vera for "winning" the throw-down! Well, okay, if it wasn't REALLY a throw-down, then congrats for getting some primo airtime to show off your cake and business. You seem like a very kind, pleasant, and mannerly lady, and I think that came through over the show. Rumor is that you'd want your own show on the Food Network...maybe as another Paula Deen wannabe? Hey, I'm not knocking that. If you can make it work, more power to you. As far as the expensive cakes, well, nobody is holding a gun to your customer's heads so I wouldn't listen too much to what people are complaining about. If they want to pay it, let'em...if they don't, then oh, well. Someone mentioned the folks who didn't want to pay that price just sit home and eat some Little Debbie cakes! Personally, that doesn't sound too bad of an idea. And don't think for a split second that Vera wouldn't trade places with "Little Debbie"!!

csrareader
csrareader 07/22/10 - 02:05 pm
Vera, I for one would and

Vera, I for one would and will go buy one of your cakes. To the other posters -- of course it's a marketing tool. That's what all the food network shows are about when they visit restaurants or cooks around the country. I don't care how the show was planned or conducted, it was entertaining and good publicity for the area.

csrareader
csrareader 07/22/10 - 02:27 pm
Wow, I'm speechless. You

Wow, I'm speechless. You just equated the ongoing environmental disaster in the Gulf of Mexico with a television entertainment program in which two individuals bake carrot cakes. Ok, let me explain. Last night was a TELEVISION PROGRAM and nothing more. If you wanted to watch, fine -- if not, that's fine also.

youshouldknowbetter
youshouldknowbetter 07/22/10 - 02:29 pm
"Veggie-D" Your comparison of

"Veggie-D" Your comparison of the "Throwdown" to the "BP Deception" is quite a stretch.

It is a show that is meant to entertain. Come on! I just don't get all of these vile and negative comments that are being made.

The way I see it, it all comes down to "class envy" once again. The overriding theme here concerning the negativity is the price of the cakes.

I don't say this to be harsh, but if any of you are being negative because YOU can't afford one of her cakes that is YOUR problem and not hers.

What do you guys want a "Stimulus Cake Package"?

It seems that the only way some of you would be happy is if they did a show and the theme was "Augusta and everything in it sucks!"

scoobynews
scoobynews 07/22/10 - 04:04 pm
Where is Baron and a couple

Where is Baron and a couple of other's with their "wealth envy" comments??? Well said gutdag! I watched the show and was glad to see her win. Yes, it is staged but then again if you watch tv at all you know that 90% of it is. I have yet to watch a show that didn't seem "faked" somehow. I was not over impressed with the judges but you can't have it all. If any of you bother to watch some of the other shows on foodnet work some people pay upwards to $15,000 for a CAKE. Yes, to me that is crazy but to each his own. I guess in this day and time if you got it then use it because Uncle Sam is just going to take it from you and give it to some one that doesn't have it.

Emerydan
Emerydan 07/22/10 - 03:02 pm
Well if you would pay between

Well if you would pay between $50 and $70 for a small carrot cake then you obviously have more money then you have common sense. But as PT Barnum said "their's a sucker born every minute."

youshouldknowbetter
youshouldknowbetter 07/22/10 - 03:14 pm
Well "EmeryDan" some people

Well "EmeryDan" some people have PLENTY of both. I guess I can have my "CAKE" and eat it too!

mrsmikep
mrsmikep 07/22/10 - 04:14 pm
First of all.... Some of

First of all.... Some of these posts are extremely irritating and extremely RUDE! If you can't say something nice, how about not say anything at all. Vera accomplished a dream, as for begging and staging..... were you there???? NO! Vera was under the impression that filming was for a new show "Top that Cake" Yes Food Network was actually here for 3 days filming...for Top that Cake.... the location was chosen by FN, and not disclosed until a few days before final taping for "top that cake"... Taping had gone on for about half an hour before Bobby comes in to surprise everyone. THAT wasn't staged! SO.. if you weren't there then you have no business spreading lies... It was a very small closed set and yes Vera got to invite who she wanted, it was HER OPPORTUNITY!! If you think her cake is to expensive, that is your opinion, no one is forcing you to buy one. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to bash Vera isn't acceptable. Augusta was represented on National TV for something other than Golf. As for the judges, again all FN decisions. For those of you that don't watch throwdown, the usually have a famous local on as a judge.... some of you need a hobby, you are always on here bashing anything that is positive in our community......SAD!

youshouldknowbetter
youshouldknowbetter 07/22/10 - 04:31 pm
"Veggie-D" who do you have a

"Veggie-D" who do you have a problem with Vera or Deke or both?

Emerydan
Emerydan 07/22/10 - 04:41 pm
mrsmikep: That be be all well

mrsmikep: That be be all well and good, and I am sure Vera is a very pleasant person, and I am glad she has been successful with her business. BUT that does not change the fact that her food is EXTREMELY overpriced. I have been to some very high end pastry shops in New York and Santa Barbara, and had better cakes for less money. But I guess as long as Oprah tells her followers that you must have it then people will buy it for whatever price. I frankly could afford to have a nice meal in one of Bobby Flay's restaurants for less than what one of Vera's cakes sell for... and I'm sure I would enjoy the experience a lot more. Again, I had the carrot cake; it was good, but it was still just a carrot cake, nothing life changing. And If you think that this whole thing was not staged then you must be one of the suckers that will pay $70 for a CARROT CAKE

mrsmikep
mrsmikep 07/22/10 - 04:53 pm
Emerydan...the price of the

Emerydan...the price of the carrot cake is $40 if you get it at the store ad $50 if you order it through the website. Yes upscale retailers sell her cakes through their websites at their own prices... as for the staging....Again... you weren't there and that is obvious from your post. You are entitled to your opinion on prices. Can you send an iced cake across the US and it be edible?

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/22/10 - 04:53 pm
Thanks for bringing attention

Thanks for bringing attention to our community, Vera. Congratulations.

csrareader
csrareader 07/22/10 - 05:17 pm
If you can't afford to pay

If you can't afford to pay $30, $40, $50 or even $70 for a cake, that's allright. We feel your pain. However, don't be jealous of us who are affluent and want to toss our money around for no other reason than we can. What the heck --- maybe I'll get two cakes.

csrareader
csrareader 07/22/10 - 05:18 pm
Oh yea -- forgot to mention.

Oh yea -- forgot to mention. I paid $127 for a cake earlier this year and then served it up at work. The $70 cake will be a bargain.

csrareader
csrareader 07/22/10 - 05:40 pm
I don't know Vera at all, and

I don't know Vera at all, and wouldn't have recognized her on the street before last night's program. I agree -- she's probably not worried about what folks say about her. She has made a succesful life through hard work and dedication, and doesn't need me or anyone else to defend what she has accomplished. I'm also not concerned about what other people may say about me or my spending habits. If people laugh about my spending $127 for a cake, that's fine. I'm certainly not going to laugh at them because they can't afford to spend their money as they please. In fact, I hope they one day will earn enough money to live life comfortably. Vera, how is your cheesecake? I have an extra $100 burning a hole in my pocket.

smec29
smec29 07/22/10 - 05:41 pm
What? Someone calls CC part

What? Someone calls CC part of Aug? Usually they turn their back on the AUG.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/22/10 - 06:26 pm
I stopped watching the

I stopped watching the Throwdown shows. They are staged 100%, thats not entertaining to me. Now if someone else secretly nominated them and the network popped up and suprised the competitor out of the blue and had it like I thought it was in the beginning of the series, thats entertainment, but to set up a fake competition, its just not entertaining.

kenworth
kenworth 07/22/10 - 07:46 pm
omg everyone. its a cake .

omg everyone. its a cake . too bad we dont have this much turnout on voting day

veggie-d
veggie-d 07/22/10 - 08:20 pm
csrareader- based on your

csrareader-

based on your posts about your "mad money/affluence/desire & ability to be wasteful w/money", i wholly expect you told your co-workers EXACTLY how much you spent on that cake too.

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen