VeryVera owner takes competition

Local baker Vera Stewart was the winner Wednesday night in a carrot cake "throwdown" with Food Network star chef Bobby Flay.

Back | Next
Vera Stewart gets hugs after party    Staff
Staff
Vera Stewart gets hugs after party

Stewart, the owner of VeryVera in Augusta, pitted her secret family recipe against Flay, who tinkered with the traditional frosting by adding marshmallow fluff.

One of the two judges at the competition filmed at Savannah River Rapids was Mayor Deke Copenhaver, who pronounced: "I'm just here for some good cake."

Copenhaver immediately detected the marshmallow flavor in Flay's cake and said Stewart's cake was "a little sweeter."

Stewart was pronounced the winner after a blind taste test.

lsmith
lsmith 07/22/10 - 05:29 am
I'm going to the bank and see

I'm going to the bank and see if I can get a mortgage to buy one of these cakes. $70.00? Well, maybe not. I can eat for two weeks on that much money and steak every night at that.

Dixieman
Dixieman 07/22/10 - 06:36 am
veryvera good for her!

veryvera good for her!

Deployed
Deployed 07/22/10 - 06:50 am
Congratulations to Mrs.

Congratulations to Mrs. Stewart.

veggie-d
veggie-d 07/22/10 - 06:52 am
furthermore, the filming was

furthermore, the filming was in columbia county...at the "scenic savannah rapids pavillion"...why not downtown?...or better yet...south augusta? don't want people to see the REAL city of augusta deke?!

bobby flay coulda driven right down gordon hiway to pullman hall and the viewers coulda gotten a REAL sense of "disgusta" flavor...if the hookers/pimps/crackheads/thieves didn't get to him first!!

cubbie
cubbie 07/22/10 - 06:56 am
So many folks in a nasty mood

So many folks in a nasty mood this morning. Be happy for the lady.

lsmith
lsmith 07/22/10 - 07:03 am
Retired Army, you're assuming

Retired Army, you're assuming I've not sampled this cake. I have, as I have other cakes and casseroles they make as well. They are all over priced beyond reason. The ingredients are just not expensive enough nor the quality good enough to justify charging that kind of money for one dish. There is a reason why Vera's wares are marketed on Saks Fifth Avenue web site instead of your local Publix. People who shop there have more money than they know what to do with and seek things they think the common folk don't have access to, and if it's sold on Sax's site it must be mind boggling good. But at the end of the day, a commodity is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it and it seems enough people buy it to keep the price where it is. I'll just run over to Publix for my carrot cake and for $70.00 I'll be able to get a different cake for every day of the week.

handoff57
handoff57 07/22/10 - 07:07 am
Ya have Vera's cake, and you

Ya have Vera's cake, and you have Krogers. Some folks just like Krogers. Personally, I go for quality over quantity any day, I watched the show and she stole it with her personality. Good for her and Good for our area, not just Columbia County.

sassy
sassy 07/22/10 - 07:17 am
If this wasn't fake there

If this wasn't fake there ain't no cows in Texas.

joyce
joyce 07/22/10 - 07:25 am
I agree It's OVER PRICED, I

I agree It's OVER PRICED, I had one of her Chocolate cakes and Her Red Velvet...Not that Good! I had one Chocolate Cake from a Local Grocer Bakery,and It was Delicious!!! Well worth the 12.99 i paided for it. Don't ask me why in the heck she would charge for a cake that from scratch wouldnt cost no more than 8.00 to make. If you're going for Broke and have a sweet tooth,Go for It.......... It's your money$$$$$$$

floridasun
floridasun 07/22/10 - 07:27 am
Gee veggie-d you sure are

Gee veggie-d you sure are negative. Remember the old southern saying if you can't say anything nice just don't say anything. Have you actually made it to a national TV cook-off? Maybe when you accomplish all that Vera has, your comments may mean something.

I have had Vera's cakes and they are terrific. Congratulations Vera...you have worked hard to get where you are at. You make Augusta proud!

JustSpeakingMyMind
JustSpeakingMyMind 07/22/10 - 08:00 am
Not to take anything away

Not to take anything away from Vera. Glad someone in the Augusta area could get some recognition. I to have had Vera's cakes and I will put my mother-n-laws up against hers any day of the week. Much better quality, much better quanity and she gets somewhere around $25 for hers, depending on the type of cake. As a matter of fact my wife can make a better cake than Vera. Must be inherited! Might have made for a better show if they had of put an unknowns cake in the blind taste test. Although the results might have been much different.

bettyboop
bettyboop 07/22/10 - 08:32 am
Go Vera !!!!

Go Vera !!!!

swimmerboy91
swimmerboy91 07/22/10 - 08:43 am
Ismith over exaggerated, her

Ismith over exaggerated, her cakes cost $50 online which includes the shipping. In store her cakes are up to $40. Nowhere near the $70 he was talking about. Her cakes are made with very high quality products also, from the icing to the custom tin it comes in. Great Job Vera!

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 07/22/10 - 09:07 am
Deke says screw Bobby

Deke says screw Bobby Flay......bake it downtown!

styler123
styler123 07/22/10 - 09:22 am
EVERYTHING that is ever done

EVERYTHING that is ever done here is done in downtown Augusta, on the riverfront, etc.. I for one am glad that someone finally recognized Columbia County as being apart of Augusta! Furthermore, I am sure Bobby Flay has seen crackheads, prositutes and pimps for they are in every city across America!

follower 07/22/10 - 09:35 am
The test is subjective.

The test is subjective. Everyone's grandmother or aunt can make a better cake, but can they make hundred's of them consistently? Kroger, Publix, and other chains can be off the charts good and bad.
This lady has found a niche and filled it quite well. She is to be congradulated.
As for the negative responses concerning the location, good grief. Every city has good and bad. Be thankful our area was noticed, and represented in such a positive manner. Vera's personality was extremely endearing.

lady_alessandra
lady_alessandra 07/22/10 - 09:37 am
Hurray for Vera! Bring some

Hurray for Vera! Bring some good attention to the area. And I love Augusta! I've lived here all my life. It's a great city with a lot of great people in it. Life is what you make it - good or bad. There are pimps, prostitutes and gangs in almost all cities, and every other mentionable and unmentionable bad thing. BUT There's a lot of good too! Those of you who call my hometown Disgusta would probably not like any city you lived in - you'd be finding fault there as well.

csrareader
csrareader 07/22/10 - 09:38 am
Good show, but I would rather

Good show, but I would rather see that Man v. Food guy come to Augusta and try to eat 50 Masters pimento cheese sandwiches in... oh I don't know, maybe 15 minutes.

youshouldknowbetter
youshouldknowbetter 07/22/10 - 09:50 am
I don't know why so many

I don't know why so many people are being negative here. For goodness sakes can't we all just be happy for Vera and her staff. Vera has worked hard to get where she is. I respect her for it. If you think her cakes are overpriced then you have the option to shop elsewhere.

JustSpeakingMyMind I would like to address the comment you made about your Mother In Laws cake costing only $25 instead of $40 like it does at Vera's. Does your Mother In Law have a business with a full staff, overhead, and insurance to pay for? If the answer is no she doesn't then she is making more money off of her cakes than Vera is hers!

Vera please know that we support you and we are proud of you!

pantone811
pantone811 07/22/10 - 10:03 am

Thank you "youshouldknowbetter". Vera has worked very VERY hard to get where she is. She grabbed her dreams and made them into something... and it's taken her 26 years to get to where she is at. I applaud that.

To those unhappy with where the show was filmed, all of those choices were made by the production staff. Deke and the other locals were simply walk-on parts with no say in what had already been planned.

And lastly (since my previous comment was deleted - and have no animosity towards the Chronicle... my language showed I was a bit irritated by some of the vemon in the comments here) if you are offended by quality food having a price tag higher than what you're used to, then stay on your couch complaining and keep eating your Little Debbies while the rest of us follow our dreams.

lsmith
lsmith 07/22/10 - 10:23 am
swimmerboy91: Please visit

swimmerboy91: Please visit this link. The $70.00 for carrot cake is correct. YOU buy it, I like Publix just fine.

youshouldknowbetter
youshouldknowbetter 07/22/10 - 10:28 am
"Lsmith" $70.00 is the price

"Lsmith" $70.00 is the price that Saks is charging for the cake. Of course they are going to make a profit!

You can order the same cake from Vera's site for $50.00 or you can get it in the store for $40.00.

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/22/10 - 10:47 am
I'm sorry but maybe I'm just

I'm sorry but maybe I'm just more frugal than most, but $40 for a cake, much less $70.......dang!!! I don't care if it's grandma's or Vera's, that's just a ridiculous price to pay for something sweet to eat.

madneighbor
madneighbor 07/22/10 - 10:52 am
If you were watching Dirty

If you were watching Dirty Jobs on the Discovery Channel after the "Throwdown", the Kricket Krap farm in Augusta was featured. Two spots on Augusta in one night, and not one mention about golf!

gutdawg
gutdawg 07/22/10 - 02:37 pm
You people on here downing

You people on here downing this women need to get a life....and who really cares if it was filmed in CC, not South Augusta, or downtown. If her cake is not as good as your grandma's, then go have grandma's! The fact remains that the she must be doing something right or she wouldn't be in it for 26 years. She pays taxes and employs people in this area...if her cakes are too expensive for you then go somewhere else....congratulate her for her accomplishments and leave it at that. It just amazes me how people from this area can take a positive and trash it to death.

countyman
20120
countyman 07/22/10 - 12:42 pm
Isn't her store located on

Isn't her store located on Riverwatch pkwy in West Augusta. That's a 5-7 minute drive to the Savannah Rapids Pavillion... I agree with the previous poster who said everything is always held downtown... First Friday, IMBA, Saturday Market on the River, Mayor's Masters Reception, Southern Nationals, Westobou, Arts in the Heart ,etc....

The Columbia County republicans held their Tea Party downtown too. This is great news for the entire Metro Augusta area...

pommom38
pommom38 07/22/10 - 12:42 pm
At $40, 50 a pop, (who cares)

At $40, 50 a pop, (who cares) maybe she needed the show in order to sell more. What this article does not state is how she finally made it.
Guess who is going to pay for ALL those cakes she kept sending to the network before they finally gave in? Her customers! If people want to spend that amount for a cake, then go for it. Not everyone will agree on whether they are worth it or not.
Nonetheless, congrats to her for winning against Bobby. NOT an easy feat..

dbc
dbc 07/22/10 - 12:47 pm
I love Vera's food and I am

I love Vera's food and I am so proud of all she has accomplished. However, as far as her winning the throwdown, I would feel better about that had Deke Copenhaver not been one of the judges. Knowing his family I am quite certain he has had many of Vera's cakes. Too telling was the fact she was allowed to top hers off with the "give-away" carrot. Sorry, I'm not convinced hers was the true winner.

swimmerboy91
swimmerboy91 07/22/10 - 12:52 pm
Ismith look at HER website.

Ismith look at HER website. Not saksfifthavenue, wouldn't you want to buy it from her and not a retail chain. Don't be dumb.

swimmerboy91
swimmerboy91 07/22/10 - 12:53 pm
Ismith look at HER website.