Woods changing his image with muted colors

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 11:10 AM
Last updated 1:19 PM

Gone are the days of bright, bold colors in Tiger Woods' wardrobe - at least for now.
Woods re-emerged into the golf world at practice rounds for the Masters Tournament this week wearing muted, pastel patterns.

Tiger Woods practices at Augusta National on Sunday.  Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff
Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff
Tiger Woods practices at Augusta National on Sunday.

"Obviously, he's wearing muted colors because he wants to stay hidden," said celebrity style expert Jess Zaino. "He is trying to not be bold, trying not to make a statement. He has to enter back into golf as quietly as possible."

Zaino said that Woods more than likely has a team of marketers and stylists that "made that very obvious choice for him to not be flashy." This decision was not taken lightly, because Woods needs to be careful about his image, she said.

"He sort of doesn't have the right to be flashy anymore as far as the public is concerned. To kind of humbly step out in beiges, coffees and light blues makes it so that he just sort of blends into the whole scene," Zaino said. "Nobody wants to come in on blazing saddles wearing bold colors. He needs to be as quiet as possible and that includes how he dresses."

Woods is also sporting facial hair, which also indicates an effort to change his image, she added.

"He can't be the 'Tiger Woods' that we accepted when he was the hero," Zaino said. "Since he had a falling, he really needs to completely change his image so that we know a different Tiger Woods and trust a different Tiger Woods. It's all psychological. That's what style is. Style is always psychological."

It's also important for Woods not to wear his hat too low, Zaino said. This indicates shadiness, as if he's covering up something. By showing his face and eyes, he'll be able to connect with the audience.

Over time, Zaino believes that Woods "will be able to go back to the Tiger that we loved" and will return to endorsement deals for clothing that is sporty and fun.

Zaino is the co-host of the Style Network's "Modern Girls Guide to Life" and the on-air stylist for top Style Network shows, How Do I Look? and The Look for Less. She has appeared regularly as a trend expert on the Home Shopping Network's Style Report and her expertise has been featured on VH-1, TV Guide Channel's Fashion Team and USA Network's Before and After'noon Movie Makeover.

veggie-d
veggie-d 04/06/10 - 11:23 am
ha! seems like he should

ha! seems like he should "mute" a lil more than the color of his clothes! but from the looks of it, "skank mutes" are pretty hard to find...just ask jesse james!

Richards79
Richards79 04/06/10 - 11:38 am
Sorry, I would love to enjoy

Sorry, I would love to enjoy the Masters but I am just too insulted. Tiger has not just returned from a dangerous tour in Iraq to build homes for the homeless. He is only contrite now because he was caught choosing to repeatedly endanger his wife's life with potential HIV/AIDS among other dishonorable acts. I am not fooled by this narcissist's attempts to keep on manipulating and I am sorry for the other players and the match itself because Tiger selfishly choose to create this mess.

willienelson
willienelson 04/06/10 - 11:40 am
How much more muted can this

How much more muted can this guy get???? Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, his clothes

Indigo
Indigo 04/06/10 - 12:19 pm
I will be glad when this week

I will be glad when this week is over. The color of shirt he wears is news? For the record, I'm in a white button up if anyone cares.

butler123
butler123 04/06/10 - 12:20 pm
He wouldn't have had so far

He wouldn't have had so far to fall if he had never been put so high up on a pedestal. Geesh, he plays golf, he didn't find the cure for cancer. Of course if he would have been up for the peace prize, he probably would have beat out Obama.

corgimom
corgimom 04/06/10 - 04:01 pm
I'm in royal blue sweats. I

I'm in royal blue sweats. I am making a statement. The psychological statement that I am making is "I don't like to be cold".

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 04/08/10 - 07:04 am
It's only as newsworthy as

It's only as newsworthy as you make it, guys cheat everyday get over it..

Jane18
Jane18 04/08/10 - 08:45 am
This is newsworthy? Who

This is newsworthy? Who cares?