Features invite debate on new 'Chronicle' site

The new Augusta Chronicle Web site is up and running. There are new services and features, and navigating the site should be easier than ever.

We're still fine-tuning the site, working to make it more interactive and immediate.

Reporters and photographers can post directly to the site from laptops, which gives you information on important issues as it happens and allows us to cover more ground.

We're also offering a more engaging conversation on the stories of the day, with our new comment-moderation process. We are taking a more straightforward approach, which makes the overall site experience more inviting. Closer moderation sets a different tone.

There is healthy and robust debate, but without the insults that drove some potential posters away. You might not like every opinion, but as long as they are expressed in a respectful manner, they enhance the story and get your views into the public arena.

Commenting on a story or editorial is easy. Here's how:

- Create a profile. Follow the link at the top of our home page -- www.chronicle.augusta.com -- for simple instructions. Add to your online persona, or "avatar," as you wish.

- Go to "post new comment" beneath any story and have your say.

Avatars are a new feature. You can upload photos, and follow members of the staff and other readers. Eventually you will be able to start a blog from your avatar page. If you want to start a blog for now, though, send me an e-mail and we can set one up for you.

You can have as much or as little personal information available for public viewing as you desire, in addition to your most recent comments and links to your blog. You can also change your information whenever you want.

You can use a favorite image for your avatar photo, but using copyrighted images without permission of the copyright holder is prohibited.

This was not heavily enforced when we turned over the site, but it is an issue we now have to address. If we believe an image is copyrighted, we will send out a warning, asking you to show proof of copyright or change the image. We will check back, and if the image has not been removed we will delete it. We've sent out a couple of warnings already.

Looking for art? A Web search for "public domain photos" will bring up many free photo sites.

If you have questions, comments or suggestions, please contact me. Click on the Help link at the top right of our home page or on my avatar photo, and you will see my contact information. We want to make this a site you will want to return often. Let me know what you think.

Talk to us

Join the Reader Connection conversation at blogs.augusta.com.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/14/10 - 07:06 am
Sean, I want to say that the

Sean, I want to say that the "discussion" tab has made it real easy to follow comments on all issues. My only complaint right now is the Profile Header Image. When ever you make a change to it, it appears as if it has been changed on my end, but when other posters go to it the old one is there. They have to use the F5 key to change it. I don't think they should have too. Yes, I agree that name calling and use of some 4 letter words or combination of those words should be completely forbidden. Words or opinions that may offend some readers but are used in all the news media, TV and even in your newspaper should be allowed. I think it is part of the 1st. You can't please all the people all the time...

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/14/10 - 07:10 am
Well Sean ... I couldn't find

Well Sean ... I couldn't find this article if Petey hadn't handed it to me on a silver platter.. So don't think it's easy yet..navigating is still bumpy..Changing info on pic has been a headache for all.. With that said, I know you are working on these things & we will bide our time..but please give it a lot of thought before words are banned.we all try to do the right thing.. give us some credit for being "decent" posters. lol

bettyboop
bettyboop 02/14/10 - 09:06 am
I am loving the format....my

I am loving the format....my photo issues are almost fixed.....thanks Sean.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 02/14/10 - 03:45 pm
I still have my one-track

I still have my one-track gripe about so much scrolling and scanning instead of being able to click right to a specific comment made on a specific article. It's annoying not to be able to pick back up where you left off earlier in the conversation and it makes it harder to stay involved in the discussion or the fight. That particular feature from the old site was a real keeper.

Deepest sympathy on having to handle all the off-color and offensive word decisions. Wisdom of Solomon, and all that.

mable8
mable8 02/14/10 - 04:02 pm
I'm still trying to get used

I'm still trying to get used to the new format and really not liking it so much; the biggest improvement, however, are the insults--there are fewer of these to contend with. And what, may I ask, are "Avatars?" The only ones I know of are those blue people in a recent movie (according to trailers I have seen). Laugh if you want; a computer nerd I am not! As for navigation, I don't see where it is all that easy, but will probably get used to it as I use it more often. Next time you plan to make big changes, why not give notice and a way to have a sneak preview before the actual change is made.

mable8
mable8 02/14/10 - 04:15 pm
I forgot to add: Is it really

I forgot to add: Is it really necessary for that "Were you spotted" to be on every page? Who cares who was at what bar, party, event someone was a patron of? It's annoying and distracts from the other issues on the page--if it is that necessary, give the item its own spot like you do for the obituaries.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 02/14/10 - 05:08 pm
Agree, Mabel, about the "Were

Agree, Mabel, about the "Were You Spotted". Why must that be so easy to find, everywhere, while Sean's blog/articles require an assist from a reader or pure luck in the search?

Things are just not as well organized as they were, though there is hope that will change and improve with time.

Cadence
Cadence 02/14/10 - 10:59 pm
I have been unable to find

I have been unable to find the forums/discussion groups. I miss those. I agree about the were you spotted stuff. I just don't care who went where. If I cared, I would have been there LOL Thanks.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/14/10 - 11:03 pm
Cadence, you can get there,

Cadence, you can get there, but you have to log out on the new AC, and in the Home section, paste this; http://forums.augusta.com/

If it doesn't work, maybe Sean can help you tomorrow!

Cadence
Cadence 02/14/10 - 11:18 pm

Thank you, Sarg, you are one of the reasons I miss it :) I will follow your link and see what I can figure out.

Search of alleged dealer's home found drugs, firearms