I’ve been on a quinoa kick lately, and this week I’m tossing it in a delicious pack-and-go salad that highlights summer’s fresh sweet corn and farm-stand tomatoes.
I always begin any quinoa recipe by rinsing the quinoa in a sieve under cool running water to eliminate any bitter coating that might be left on the seeds after processing. Then I simmer it in a ratio of two parts water or other liquid to one part quinoa.
Quinoa comes in three varieties – white, red and black – and you can use them interchangeably.
In this salad, the cooked quinoa is combined with fresh corn, chopped tomatoes and sliced green onions.
Cooking the corn is made extremely fast with the help of your microwave or oven. Just pop the ears of corn, husks and all, into the microwave and cook them for about five minutes.
In an oven you’ll want to cook the corn for 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees. Either way, set the corn aside until it’s cool enough to handle and pull off the husks.
The silk sticks to the husks, making easy work of the process.
The dressing is mixed directly in the salad and is a combination of white wine vinegar, the juice of one lime and olive oil.
The last addition to the salad is optional: a sprinkling of crumbled feta cheese or queso fresco.
Pack the salad for lunch at the office or for your next picnic or cookout.
Watch Karin prepare the recipe on Tuesdays on WJBF-TV 6 (ABC) at noon and Wednesdays during Good Morning Augusta.
We’re looking for your best kitchen creation, whether it’s a simple chili or an elaborate continental concoction. Our food writer, Karin Calloway, will re-create your dish, and we’ll feature it on the Wednesday food page of The Augusta Chronicle.
Send your recipe and contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org, or write to Recipe Favorites, Newsroom, The Augusta Chronicle, P.O. Box 1928, Augusta, GA 30903-1928.
CORN, QUINOA AND TOMATO SALAD
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning the final salad to taste
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cooked fresh corn, from about 4 cobs
- 2 large tomatoes or 1 container grape tomatoes, diced
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, cut into a thin julienne
- 2 green onions, very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lime, about 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese, optional
- Bring the water and ½ teaspoon of salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the quinoa, return to a boil and reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in the order listed (except the cheese) in a large salad bowl and toss gently.
- Gently stir in the quinoa and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Sprinkle with the cheese, if desired.
- Makes 4 entree-size salads or 6-8 side dish servings.