Pair of Georgia Tech students robbed

Tuesday, Sept. 2, 2014 10:57 AM
Last updated 1:22 PM

ATLANTA — Police at the Georgia Institute of Technology are investigating a pair of robberies, telling students in a crime alert that one suspect is described as 12 to 13 years old.

Georgia Tech police say a student reported that a white minivan pulled up to him as he walked on Ferst Drive Northwest near Cherry Street Northwest Wednesday night. Police said a passenger in the van got out, showed a handgun and demanded the student’s property.

Police said the second robbery happened minutes later and also involved a white van. In that case, a male and female student reported that a passenger in the van displayed a handgun and demanded their property as they walked on Tenth Street.

Police described the van as a white Dodge Caravan with a Georgia license plate.

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 09/02/14 - 12:08 pm
Old Enough

It would be a shame, but if the kid is old enough to be doing something stupid like brandishing a gun, he's old enough to take a bullet. For his own safety, I hope the police get him, before he is "got".

raul
raul 09/02/14 - 12:09 pm
Isn't Tech located in the

Isn't Tech located in the middle of Thugsville? Oh sorry, Miscreantville. They should make an exception on banning weapons on campus.

whyme
whyme 09/02/14 - 12:26 pm
downtown

Quite a few of our state colleges are located near or in a downtown area: MCG, UGA, Georgia Tech, Mercer, Georgia State in Atlanta, SCAD, etc. You should be able to traverse these areas freely, as a student or regular resident, but the reality is that the surrounding areas tend to have a higher crime rate and thus students (and others) are at risk, particularly at night. It's not fair and the victims are not to blame but many of the schools' safety programs strongly urge students to be careful and don't take chances. For example, a few schools encourage the students to call for the safety officers to escort you back to your dorms at night but many students choose not to do so-it's a pain, it's embarrassing, it's only a short distance to the dorms. You shouldn't have to go through all of this but that's the way life has become.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 09/02/14 - 01:01 pm
No, this is not the answer,

No, this is not the answer, but I saw an ad for a new product. It's a specialized can of Mace...when you hit the button, just before the spray is administered, the thing takes a picture of who you're aiming at! Not only that, but it sounds an alarm AND it sends out an emergency GPS signal to 911!
No idea how much it costs, but it'd be worth it!

jimmymac
jimmymac 09/02/14 - 01:17 pm
MACE

Sorry if I'm going to aim something it's going to be a gun.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/02/14 - 01:45 pm
"For his own safety, I hope

"For his own safety, I hope the police get him, before he is "got"."

I don't.

Pops
Pops 09/02/14 - 01:54 pm
I read in the Atlanta Journal that these people

have robbed numerous students. They give a description of the white van but not a description of the robbers......I wonder why? Any ideas?

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 09/02/14 - 01:56 pm
I was trying to be nice. To

I was trying to be nice. To be honest, I don't care either.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 09/02/14 - 10:12 pm
I care, some of my favorite

I care, some of my favorite people in the world graduated recently from Georgia Tech. It is wise to be wary on or near any campus. Ivy League school students are even warned to be careful on campus and especially careful in designated areas outside their gates. Students that are actually listening and reading their information are usually warned to be careful and what areas to avoid.

deestafford
deestafford 09/02/14 - 11:16 pm
I've got two points on this:

I've got two points on this:

First, it could not have happened because the GA Tech leadership recently turned down the opportunity for students with a CWP to carry weapons on campus because they said there was adequate security and if student felt threatened they could blow a whistle. So, you see this is just some students trying to be trouble makers falsely accusing local church-going, "he's a good boy" types from enjoying a night out socializing.

Second, something better to carry for self defense than pepper spray is a can of WASP and ROACH SPRAY!! This stuff is so strong that if you hit them in the face they will have to go to the hospital immediately. Also, you can squirt it about 30-25 feet which is much farther than pepper spray. It's also good to have a can sitting on the passenger seat of your car if you are travelling alone. It's quicker to get to than my pistol.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/03/14 - 06:23 am
Nothing new here

It has been happening for 10 years that I know of.

In fact TECH student shot at some thugs a few years back and was suspended for having a weapon in the NO-GUN ZONE.

Remember the TECH students have expensive toys, follow predefined Class schedules, routes and usually (IN THE PAST) had no weapons because of campus policy. They also have a lot of burglaries.

corgimom
corgimom 09/03/14 - 06:24 am
Sure, somebody pulls a gun on

Sure, somebody pulls a gun on you and you say, "Hey, I'm not afraid of your old gun, I have WASP SPRAY!"

They can put a can of it in your coffin, after you are SHOT DEAD.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/03/14 - 08:51 am
Going on for too long

Even the kid of the Commish Chairman was robbed like this....things got tough for a few months & then back to same o, same o.

They need a whupping ajax won't wash off.

WELCOME to downtown Atlanta. GEEZ