Dog stabbed inside Ga. pet store

Tuesday, Sept. 2, 2014 7:13 AM
Last updated 8:09 PM

NEWNAN, Ga. — Police say a pit bull was repeatedly stabbed during a pet adoption event inside a PetSmart store in the west Georgia town of Newnan, horrifying adults and children.

A police report states that a man stabbed the pit bull, Clara, after it slipped out of its collar and began tugging on the ear of his dog, a Westie Terrier.

Teresa Reeves tells WXIA-TV that the man pulled out a pocket knife and repeatedly stabbed Clara. Reeves said there was “blood everywhere” and the worst thing she’s ever seen.

"The Newnan Times-Herald" reports that the pit bull was euthanized due to the severity of the stab wounds.

No arrests have been made.

PetSmart said in a statement the safety of people and pets in its stores is its top priority.

IBeDogGone
IBeDogGone 09/02/14 - 07:27 am
All because of her Bred!

Unless Clara was being aggressive which I do not believe it to be the case I a sure her being a Pit will be his reasoning for his aggressive behavior.

AFjoe
AFjoe 09/02/14 - 02:04 pm
Always a pit bull

When is the last time you heard of a yorkie, lab, poodle attack anything but food. Lots of thumbs down, but far as I am concerned they all (pits) should go.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/02/14 - 08:31 am
Pit bulls don't tug

RE-WRITE
Here is the part that the ASSOCIATED PRESS for some reason left out.

"We heard screaming at the front of the store and went running to see what was happening. The pit bull had the smaller dog at the back of the neck holding the loose skin and fur there," said Reeves.

---------------------
In Other Words

The Police arrive review the situation and decided there was more than enough evidence to show the owner was acting in his pets and surrounding humans best interest and defense.

Police did NOT charge the owner and left.

So the villain here IS NOT the Pet Owner.
It is the PIT and the Adoption Group for failing to keep a stronger more aggressive animal under control.

hoptoad
hoptoad 09/02/14 - 08:25 am
Pits are a dangerous breed,

Pits are a dangerous breed, but do not deserve to be treated cruelly. There should be a law against breeding or even owning these dogs.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/02/14 - 08:50 am
A common reminder

I have owned several AKC PITS, NONE were like what we find on the streets today.

Most of the Pit Bulls today have been bred for FIGHTING. Lets not kid ourselves, we all know the cultures that stereotypically thinks it is cool to Parade down the street with a 10 lbs logging chain a spike collar.

But years ago the PITS still were commonly called NANNY DOGS and raised and kept around kids.

For generations BEFORE the ghetto/white trash dog fight clubs.
These dogs were renowned for their courage and tenacity and despite their ferocity, WERE at one time excellent companions and good with children.

Now extra care must be taken since certain blood lines have been bred only for aggression/fighting.

I was taught check the color of the GUMS for a quick hint whether it is a NANNY DOG or a Bred KILLER.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/02/14 - 09:29 am
Good for the pet owner; I

Good for the pet owner; I would have done exactly the same. Once, I choked one to near death that had a neighbor's cat in his mouth. He finally lost consciousness enough to release the cat, but it was too late.

JRC2024
JRC2024 09/02/14 - 09:31 am
How do you tell by the gums.

How do you tell by the gums. We have several pits around our cabin in
WV and none have shown any aggression. The same man owns them and treats them like babies. They ride in his golf cart and are nothing but nice around other dogs. I still do not trust them because of their size and what they can do.

Dixieman
Dixieman 09/02/14 - 09:35 am
Ol' Blue

Well, I had an old dog and his name was Blue
Yes, I had an old dog and his name was Blue
Well, I had an old dog and his name was Blue
Bet ya five dollars he's a good dog too

Old Blue chased a possum up a holler limb
Blue chased a possum up a holler limb
Blue chased a possum up a holler limb
The possum growled, Blue whined at him

Bye bye, Blue
You good dog, you
Bye bye, Blue
You good dog, you

When old Blue died, he died so hard
He shook the ground in my back yard
We lowered him down with a golden chain
And every link we called his name

Bye bye, Blue
You good dog, you
Bye bye, Blue
You good dog, you

My old Blue was a good old hound
You could hear him hollering miles around
When I get to Heaven first thing I'll do
Is grab my horn and call for Blue

Bye bye, Blue
You good dog, you
Bye bye, Blue
You good dog, you
=============================
Do not mess with my dawg. I applaud the owner in this story who defended his beloved dog.

cush1944
cush1944 09/02/14 - 09:35 am
"There should be a law

"There should be a law against breeding or even owning these dogs."
hoptoad, I had a American pit bull, mixed with a little mastiff, and he was VERY gentle. He was my buddy

ken8375309
ken8375309 09/02/14 - 12:39 pm
Pits are bred to fight, it is

Pits are bred to fight, it is hardwired into their DNA. Sure, they can be the sweetest, kindest, most gentle dog until something sets off their fighting instinct. It may never happen, but these dogs are loose cannon. And when something sets them off and they do attack, the results are usually catastrophic. Just yesterday, a 2 year old was brutally mauled by a family pit in Oregon..2014 has been a bad year for the Pit lobby, as the truth is coming out about their dogs.. The pit advocates are always blaming either the owner or the victim, even when a loyal family pit turns on it's owner and family.. There needs to be at minimum a strict mandatory sterilization, licensing, and liability insurance requirement for those that chose to own a Pit or mixed Pit..

Pits were never historically referred to as "Nanny Dogs". That is a myth that was started in 1971. Even the Pit advocacy group "Bad Rap" has stated that this myth is not only false, but dangerous.. What is really disturbing is that Huffpost has been promoting allowing small children and infants to play with these dogs, even though it is well documented that they have brutally mauled and killed small children with frequency in unprovoked attacks..

2014 Dog bite fatalities by breed

by Breed:
20 by Pit Bull / Pit Bull Mix
3 by Bullmastiff / Mastiff Mix
2 by Rottweiler
1 by Cane Corso
1 by Shepherd Mix
1 by Catahoula Leopard Dog

By age:
17 Children
11 Adults

EBosserman
EBosserman 09/02/14 - 12:15 pm
ANY Dog

ANY dog can be sweet as ever just as well as any dog can turn in a split second when they feel threatened. Animals sense things people don't.
It's no different that humans. You're raised to respect people (a good bit of us, anyway) but once you feel threatened, that respect is gone.
The pet owner did what needed to be done to protect his "family".

happychimer
happychimer 09/02/14 - 12:48 pm
My daughter has a pit that is

My daughter has a pit that is considered a family member. She is gentle but very active. She loves to play ball, lick, and get in her family's laps. She follows the kids around and is there with them when they are playing, watching tv, and playing games. The 2 girls rode on her back when they were toddlers. She is an inside dog. She is gentle as can be, and if anyone threatened her, my daughter would handle them in a not so kind way.

jimmymac
jimmymac 09/02/14 - 01:35 pm
PITS

The statistics don't lie. Pits are the most dangerous breed of dog in the USA. People may have an exception but facts are facts. my uncle who owned a hog farm had two pits attack a large male hog. They attacked from both sides and eventually they hobbled the pig and were in the process of killing it when my uncle came and shot both of them to death. He they shot the hog who was mauled to near death. These two pits were trained well by my uncle and he never saw anything that indicated they were dangerous. He was thankful that it was a 255 lb. hog and not a 55 lb. grandchild.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/02/14 - 02:03 pm
uh-huh.......

"ANY dog can be sweet as ever just as well as any dog can turn in a split second when they feel threatened."

But how many have a killer instinct so strong that they will attack until their last breath; and jaws powerful enough to shred a human?

Gee, one of the meanest dang dogs on earth is a Chihuahua; but I do not fear for my safety in the presence of one.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/02/14 - 02:09 pm
HC

I've heard that story many times in news stories about a Pit that turned on family children. "He was always so sweet". "He grew up with the children", yadda, yadda, yadda.

I sincerely hope and pray your children or grandchildren don't become a statistic; and I mean that. There is not enough money for me to expose my family to that chance.

jdsgirl63
jdsgirl63 09/02/14 - 03:33 pm
Not just pits are dangerous....

But, how about the family in South Florida a few years back... they went to work and school one day, leaving the grandma and the two pits home, as they always did. They came home to find grandma strewn all over the house... these "loving family pets" tore her limb from limb.

The old lady used a walker. What was her fatal mistake? Did she accidentally step on one of them and it attacked, and the other joined in? Nobody will ever know, because grandma is dead.

What was equally upsetting was the family fought to get those dogs back (they did not succeed). How could they want the dogs that viciously killed their own flesh and blood back??

I love my dogs, but my HUMAN family comes first. If any of them bit a family member it's time for them to go, I'll not risk my families (or anyone elses for that matter) safety for a "fur baby" as people are wont to call them.

ken8375309
ken8375309 09/02/14 - 04:29 pm
Google "Anne Murray" from

Google "Anne Murray" from Wilton CT.. Poor woman was taking her 2 year old family pet Pit (that had shown no previous signs of aggression) for a walk, when the dog decided to rip her to shreds for no apparent reason.. She lost both of her arms, and it is a miracle that she survived..

There are countless other stories just like this, and as the Pit population continues to increase, there will be many more.. Pit's are different from other breeds, and not in a good way at all.. They often pass temperament tests with flying colors because they typically are fairly good natured dogs until something causes their natural attack instinct to kick in.. (Similar to how a Border Collie will always have the instinct to herd)

-------------------------------------------------

"Generally, the attack is what I'm here for. It was an unprovoked attack, and it's the nature of the dog. He sat next to me. I fed him. I took him out on the leash. I'm racking my brain about what I did different that day. He had food and water. I don't know what happened. I don't think he saw a squirrel. I don't think it was an outside stimulus. That's what's so scary about that breed."

Anne Murray

happychimer
happychimer 09/02/14 - 05:47 pm
My daughter's pit is not mean

My daughter's pit is not mean at all, but she is aggravating. When I drive up in the yard she comes running out of the house barking. I ask her where's the ball and she grabs a ball and runs to me. She slobbers on tennis balls and then wants me to throw them for her to fetch. She gets right beside me licking my hand and arm. She tries to get in my lap but I won't let her. She does have a mental issue. If she feels she is not getting enough attention, she will chew on herself and that means a trip to the dr. So she gets plenty of attention. It is not the breed. It's the owner.

allhans
allhans 09/02/14 - 06:24 pm
A friend of mine living in

A friend of mine living in Charlotte had a pit that was his baby and best buddy for 8 years. Last week he (the dog) went a little crazy, attacked his owner and had to be put down......,.As the saying goes, "You never know".

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/02/14 - 08:46 pm
BTW: How to handle an attacking dog

Remember this ain't a playground sandbox fight.
If you lose you lose big.
So it is better the dog lose BIG.

Keep it away from your head and neck area
Offer it a ARM then Poke the eyes out with your other hand.

Forget about choking out a fighting dog, the neck has been bred to take it.

Just fall on top of it as hard as you can and put your fingers deep into its eyes. Don't stop until it is blinded, also break a leg or knee if you get a chance.

For more PC ways see:

corgimom
corgimom 09/02/14 - 08:53 pm
If another dog attacked my

If another dog attacked my dog, I would do whatever it takes to keep my dog alive and safe.

A German Shepherd attacked my corgi, the one you see in my ativar. I had to kick the little ------- off of her twice. I was scared that I'd get bit, but I wasn't going to just watch my dog- who did nothing to provoke the attack- get mauled.

When I walk my dogs at the Whitewater Center, I keep my car key on a flexible band around my wrist- so that I can stab a dog in the eye if he attacks.

KSL
KSL 09/02/14 - 09:36 pm
Your what? Glad your dog was

Your what? Glad your dog was not hurt.

ken8375309
ken8375309 09/02/14 - 10:13 pm
Regardless of how I feel

Regardless of how I feel about Pits, I find it disturbing that anyone would allow children to ride on the back of any dog.. Even the most docile dogs may bite a child under these conditions. Not only are you putting your children in harms way, but you are abusing the dog as well...

sand gnat
sand gnat 09/02/14 - 10:16 pm
What kind of

Nut would take his dog into a pet store? Just asking for problems. No doubt that darn little terrier was the instigator. Its owner should have been arrested. In over 50 years of owning dogs, the two best, by far were American Staffordshires. Worst and most aggressive was a Springer Spaniel. Totally unpredictable. Had to put him down. That is one dog you do not want.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 09/02/14 - 10:17 pm
Her avatar.

Her avatar.

historylover
historylover 09/03/14 - 12:41 am
KSL

Corgi was referring to the photos we use to represent us. They are called avatars. I think it's kind of a stupid term, but that's what they're called.

KSL
KSL 09/03/14 - 09:09 am
I know that, Historylover. I

I know that, Historylover. I was having a little fun.

dwb619
dwb619 09/03/14 - 02:19 pm
Cush1944

Charles, had to give you a "thumbs up" on that one!
Sorry that your buddy is no longer with you.