Government

More News | | | Editor

Joe Jackson resigns from Augusta Commission

Joe Jackson quit the Au­gusta Commission on Wednesday, citing “family and personal circumstances” in his resignation letter to Gov. Nathan Deal.

Joe Jackson: Member of Augusta Com­mission since 2007 lost his wife in April  FILE
FILE
Joe Jackson: Member of Augusta Com­mission since 2007 lost his wife in April

Jackson, who was elected to represent District 6 in 2007, submitted the letter about 4 p.m., saying that his departure from city politics would take effect in an hour, commission clerk Lena Bonner said.

Commission members said that for several weeks they had heard Jackson, 43, was considering an early departure to care for his daughter and two sons after his wife of 20 years, Mary Bea Jackson, died April 27 at age 43 of complications related to breast cancer.

No word has been made on a replacement or whether Jackson’s annual $15,200 salary will be prorated, Bonner said.

Jackson did not return phone calls or messages seeking comment.

“Although family and personal circumstances prevent me from being able to serve Augusta the remaining months of my second term, I will continue to support the City of Augusta and consider the nearly eight years I served as District 6 Commissioner as one of the most rewarding experiences of my life,” Jackson wrote in his letter to Deal.

Jackson’s resignation letter had yet to be received by the governor’s office late Wednesday afternoon, spokeswoman Sasha Dlugolenski said.

Commissioner Bill Lockett described Jackson as a strong-willed person who was instrumental in moving a Richmond County Marshal’s Office substation out of Regency Mall, constructing a senior housing complex on Richmond Hill Road and helping pave the way for the expansion of Windsor Spring Road.

“Joe went through a tremendous episode during the illness and demise of his wife that added extra responsibility on him at home to care for his three children,” Lockett said. “He was a gentleman who always kept his word and will be missed.”

Because of his willingness to approach situations in an inclusive way, many commissioners said they consider him a close friend, including Mary Davis.

“I have been honored to have worked with Joe on the commission and have appreciated his support and advice,” Davis said in a statement. “He has worked hard for the good of Augusta-Richmond County and I thank him for his service.”

An Eagle Scout, Jackson was born in DeKalb County and has an associate’s degree in industrial electrical maintenance from Augusta Technical College. Since 2000, he has served as the president and CEO of Kirby Locksmith Inc., according to Augusta Chronicle archives.

“I’m sad to see Joe resign, but every man must know his limitations and Joe has given his all,” Commissioner Grady Smith said.

According to the Augusta-Richmond County charter, commission resignations are filled through the board appointment of a “qualified person” to serve for the remainder of the member’s term, which in Jackson’s case, ends in January.

In a heated July runoff to represent District 6 on the commission, newspaper publisher Ben Hasan was elected to replace the term-limited Jackson with 52 percent of the 2,371 votes cast.

Lockett and Smith said no discussions have been made yet on his replacement, but each agreed that swearing in Hasan early would be the “common sense” approach.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/20/14 - 05:26 pm
Probably just threw up his

Probably just threw up his hands and gave up. I hope he doesn't have serious personal problems.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 08/20/14 - 05:30 pm
Joe Jackson's family needs

Joe Jackson's family needs him. Family comes first. As the article says, he lost his wife of 20 years, Mary Bea Jackson. We were blessed to have him on the commission as long as he was able to stay and we will miss him.

Butterman
Butterman 08/20/14 - 05:58 pm
sorry to hear this

clearly this is for personal reasons. I wish him the best

southern2
southern2 08/20/14 - 07:12 pm
Sorry to hear that

Sorry to hear that Commissioner Jackson has resigned.

He served the people of ARC and District 6 well and I wish the best for him.

jbartley
jbartley 08/20/14 - 07:32 pm
Enjoy your private life

Joe was a honest politician and took care of a wife until her death and he has been there for his children! Thank you Joe for staying this long in office!

Wayne guilfoyle
Wayne guilfoyle 08/20/14 - 07:55 pm
Joe Jackson

I would like to commend Joe Jackson, he has been a true friend and a commissioner that I have relied on for his experience. He has always put the interest of the community first. I have seen him many times give up jobs to make meetings. And the time it took away from his family shows how devoted to his elected position that he was. He will be missed and I understand his position due to the loss of his best friend and wife; now he is carrying the burden of raising and supporting a family alone. It is something a lot of us would never endure. I will not question his action because God and his family come first. I wish him the best and I will remain a true friend and cherish the experience he has taught me along the way. Wayne Guilfoyle

Dixieman
Dixieman 08/20/14 - 08:36 pm
One of the best

He will be missed. God bless him and his family.

whyme
whyme 08/20/14 - 09:03 pm
blessings

Let's keep the speculation to a minimum; if he wanted us to know the reason he was leaving, he'd say, so be respectful. Grateful for his service, prayers to him for his future endeavors.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/21/14 - 10:03 am
Joe Jackson will be missed

He is a different kind of guy in some very good ways, and he always has been.

This county was fortunate to have the benefit of his hard work, his outstanding character and his generosity for the past 8 years. We should try to get more people like Joe involved in helping our community.

Godspeed, Joe.

rebellious
20916
rebellious 08/20/14 - 09:21 pm
Thanks

for the service to our community. It is often a thankless job. May God bless you as you focus on your children. You know who to call if you ever need anything.

Connor Threlkeld
Connor Threlkeld 08/20/14 - 10:00 pm

Thank you Fiat_Lux, we have made the fix to the story.

ColCo
ColCo 08/21/14 - 05:26 am
Joe...

you will be missed.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/21/14 - 08:00 am
Wayne, pretty much said it.

Our Families Condolences once again.

ColCo
ColCo 08/21/14 - 09:36 am
Matt Aitken...

is going to get a demonstration of what to do when you control six votes on the commission. He had a chance to make a difference and wasted the opportunity.

afadel
afadel 08/21/14 - 09:52 am
Condolences

I extend my condolences to Mr. Jackson and his family for their loss.

jrsc429
jrsc429 08/21/14 - 05:03 pm
glad that he will still be around.

I wished that my wife and I had Joe as our Commissioner. A great commissioner, and a good friend. I am glad that he will still be around.

Faces of Survival: Breast Cancer Awareness Month series

Breast cancer has touched thousands of families across the Augusta area. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October, The Au­gus­ta Chronicle will be featuring ...