Augusta Economy

More News | Fort Gordon | Plant Vogtle | Savannah River Site | Editor

Long lines as H&M opens

Thursday, Aug 14, 2014 11:35 AM
Last updated 8:06 PM

The line stretched out the door this morning as the two-story H&M store opened at the Augusta Mall.

The store was announced in May 2013.

The 23,000-square-foot site will carry apparel and accessories for women, men and children. The Augusta store is the first in eastern Georgia for the Swedish retailer.

countyman
countyman 08/14/14 - 11:21 am
Augusta mall

The city of Augusta continues to grow despite the naysayers and double standards... The city has surpassed many peer cities(Columbia, Savannah, Chattanooga, etc) in terms of shopping over the last few years... The shopping in Augusta is comparable to Greenville and still behind Charleston...

The city of Augusta(metro under 600k) managed to attract H&M before Charlotte and Charleston... The retailer coming here to Augusta is before Charleston is not a big deal, but metro Charlotte is over 2 million people..

Augusta mall is by far the most upscale mall in Georgia outside metro Atlanta.. The only malls in Georgia with a much better offering is Phipps, Lenox, and Perimeter malls.. Many retailers including H&M, Apple, Pandora, Sephora, Michael Kors, etc only have locations in either metro Atlanta or Augusta.

Butterman
Butterman 08/14/14 - 11:42 am
Ridiculous

This shows just how ridiculous Augustans can be about any new chain that comes to town. I have been to H&M in other cities. Nothing really special.. cheap clothes made in 3rd world countries.

bigj706
bigj706 08/14/14 - 12:44 pm
Thats not giving my family

Thats not giving my family anything to do sorry H&M but you just like any other store.

OJP
OJP 08/14/14 - 01:47 pm
@Butterman and @bigj706

It's economic growth and will create jobs. That many not directly benefit you, but it will indirectly benefit all of us.

AFjoe
AFjoe 08/14/14 - 02:27 pm
Behind the times

I'm so far behind the times, I never even heard of H&M. Maybe I'll check them out in a year or two if they still in business.

madamepfifi
madamepfifi 08/14/14 - 02:45 pm
Fresh air

I am very thankful that we finally have a store here in Augusta with European fashion. Yes, it is cheaply made, but the styles beat Target and Kohl's. I grew up with H&M and today was the my highlight of my 3 years here. Now there is something for everyone here. Plus, it adds a little pep into this otherwise dull city. Besides, shopping and eating out we now need more things to do for our children. Like water playgrounds and petting zoo's...The city has potential for growth.

Butterman
Butterman 08/14/14 - 04:39 pm
Nothing wrong with H&M

... yes their clothes trend to be a little more fashionable than Target and Old Navy and the prices are cheap.. but the clothes are disposable. After a few months of wear they fall apart. Didn't this cheap clothing store replace an Abercrombie & Fitch which is considered to be on the higher middle end of young people's fashion? What I do not understand is people waiting in a long line just to shop for cheap clothes in a chain store.

Butterman
Butterman 08/14/14 - 04:41 pm
IKEA of Clothing

I have heard H&M referred to as The IKEA of Clothing. Both stores are from Sweden.

jimmymac
jimmymac 08/14/14 - 05:45 pm
STORE

I wouldn't wait in a line like that if they were giving their wares away. Don't people have anything better to do?

corgimom
corgimom 08/14/14 - 06:11 pm
Countyman, you are full of

Countyman, you are full of horsefeathers.

There is an H&M at Northlake Mall in Charlotte.

There is also one in Pineville and one at Concord Mills.

And they are full of cheap and sleazy clothing, I don't consider this a plus for Charlotte or Augusta.

But we now have the big outlet mall, so now it doesn't much matter.

Gage Creed
19483
Gage Creed 08/14/14 - 07:39 pm
Answer!

Q: How many metro's under 600K have attracted Whole Foods, outlet mall, cabela's, home goods, michael kors, h&m, movie theater with an enclosed restaurant, half-moon outfitters etc since 2013? The Gander Mountain in Columbia County is another large retailer..

Q: How many metro's under 600K have attracted Whole Foods, larger outlet mall, Bass Pro Shop, Westin Hotel, Ruth's Chris, Marc Jacobs, movie theater with an enclosed restaurant, Go Fish, etc since 2013? The Outlets in nearby Bluffton are another large retailer..

fedex227
fedex227 08/14/14 - 07:55 pm
New store in Augusta ...

More choice for the public, more jobs for our neighbors, good for Augusta. Count on the Augusta whiners to always look at the down side. You guys should form a club. How about Whiners-R-Us?

galaxygrl
galaxygrl 08/14/14 - 11:18 pm
H&M

AFJoe, H&M has been is business for 50 years and is in 50 countries around the world. They sell european style at a reasonable price. Try giving google a search to find out about them. Corgi, Not all of their clothes are sleazy, they have very cute children's clothes and the ladies styles are really nice looking.
Nicde to see the naysayers out as usual, you guys make me laugh.

Butterman
Butterman 08/14/14 - 11:36 pm
I have no problem

with H&M.. but I just find it hilarious that the local bumpkins will wait in line that long just to go shop in one.

corgimom
corgimom 08/14/14 - 11:40 pm
I don't have to do a Google

I don't have to do a Google search on them, I have eyes in my head and can see the store as I walk past it. "European style", sure. Don't believe all the marketing hype.

You get what you pay for, and cheap clothing is cheap clothing.

corgimom
corgimom 08/14/14 - 11:41 pm
But Countyman, I distinctly

But Countyman, I distinctly remember you saying on here that metro Augusta has 650,000 people. Did that change?

corgimom
corgimom 08/14/14 - 11:44 pm
And since Columbia metro has

And since Columbia metro has over 750,000 people, I wouldn't call Augusta a peer city with Columbia at all.

corgimom
corgimom 08/14/14 - 11:46 pm
"How many metros under 600 K

"How many metros under 600 K have attracted Whole Foods, etc."

Who knows, and who cares?

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/15/14 - 12:12 am
I had to

look up H&M on the internet. Still can't figure out why there was a line.

Really? People stood in line?

WOW! Get a life!

countyman
countyman 08/15/14 - 01:04 am
Facts

''There is an H&M at Northlake Mall in Charlotte.''

The H&M opened in November of 2013 and was announced to the public after the Augusta location...

AFjoe
AFjoe 08/15/14 - 07:41 am
Talk about getting a life

The eight post above mine are from midnight to 2 AM this morning.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/15/14 - 08:42 am
I don't have an opinion on

I don't have an opinion on the store; but I too find it amusing that people would get in line for the opening. You would think it is Thanksgiving.....

madamepfifi
madamepfifi 08/15/14 - 08:50 am
H&M

I always find it ironic when people try to discredit products by using the cheap products argument. The textile world is in Asia. Even big designers use them these days. That is because their economy still depends on this versus us going into the Tech age. (also why we produce nasty cheap food) Yes, H&M used to be better quality, but I would rather spend less then pay for the name. At least for my everyday clothes. They make excellent tights, leggings, underclothes, accessories and children's clothes. I guess I will take sleazy over southern stepford wife any day.

Dixieman
Dixieman 08/15/14 - 09:25 am
America is great!

Remember...the terrorists win if we don't all drive to the mall and go shopping!!

Tots
Tots 08/15/14 - 10:30 am
Bumpkins-LOL!!

Well, Butterman and Young Fred many were standing in those long lines trying to win/get something for free... H&M sent cards in the mail for their grand opening August 14th at noon.. It said GIVEWAYS up to $300 for the first 100 shoppers in line... Then with the postcard you got 14% off your purchase and if you brought a friend they got 14% off too...
Bet they don't have long lines today...

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 08/15/14 - 02:15 pm
I'm guessing madamepfifi

I'm guessing madamepfifi works there.

madamepfifi
madamepfifi 08/16/14 - 05:48 pm
@Autumn

Nope, I don't. Just annoyed with all the head shakers at the mall. I just like European clothes because I am half european. I also like Zara and love Ikea.