Fort Gordon soldier found dead

Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 12:47 PM
Last updated 6:38 PM

A Fort Gordon soldier was found dead Friday night after going missing during land navigation training in the post’s training area.

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

According to a statement released Saturday by the post, the cause of the death is under investigation.

More than 90 soldiers and the post’s Directorate of Emergency Services were involved in a search for the soldier after he didn’t arrive at a designated location Friday afternoon. His body was located at about 10 p.m., the statement said.

His identity will not be released until 24 hours after next of kin have been notified, in accordance with Defense Department policy.

Additional information will be released when it becomes available, the statement said.

pgapeach2
pgapeach2 08/09/14 - 02:19 pm
This reminds me

Of a similar situation that happened some years ago at Fort Hood. I'm wondering what time the training started and how long did it take them to discover he had not found all of his points?

rcpasc48
rcpasc48 08/09/14 - 04:00 pm
I did that at Fort Jackson in

My Condolences to his family.

I did map reading at Fort Jackson in 1968. It was fun. Civilians call it orienting nowadays. This was before GPS. Compass, map and a scale was all I had other than a flashlight at night.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/09/14 - 05:15 pm
God Bless

Yeah, all of us in the military did a version of this, but let's express our grief to his family. He was one of us and a patriot defending America. God bless him and his Mom and Dad.

jdsgirl63
jdsgirl63 08/09/14 - 06:12 pm
My condolences to this

My condolences to this soldiers loved ones. Very sad news.

Dixieman
20871
Dixieman 08/09/14 - 08:16 pm
Condolences

to his family and fellow soldiers.
Can't understand this -- Army is obsessive about counting troops and accounting for them every hour or so especially during training. Not enough info to form an opinion yet, but I want to see how this story turns out.

Lkn4Ans
Lkn4Ans 08/09/14 - 09:00 pm
My deepest condolences

to this soldier and his family. May he rest in peace.