Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

South Carolina police chief arrested, resigns

Monday, Aug 4, 2014 7:17 AM
Last updated 7:29 PM

IVA, S.C. — The police chief of an Anderson County town has resigned after being arrested on criminal domestic violence charges.

Town attorney Mary McCormac and Councilman Kenneth Norwood say Iva Police Chief Tommy Miller submitted his resignation Saturday.

Miller was suspended a week earlier after he was charged with criminal domestic violence and third-degree assault. Warrants accuse the 39-year-old chief of repeatedly striking his 14-year-old son with a piece of wood and attempting to harm his wife by grabbing and throwing her.

Miller has been released on bond, and court records list no attorney for him. Capt. Jason Hawkins has been serving as interim chief since Miller’s suspension.

Iva has about 1,200 residents. Miller had served as its police chief since 2007.

corgimom
corgimom 08/04/14 - 08:21 pm
Maybe parents need to do more

Maybe parents need to do more of that.

In school, principals used to have a paddle. And I know kids that got swats with a ping pong paddle.

And now he lost his job because he was disciplining his 14 year old son and mommy tried to protect her precious baby, instead of letting him be the father.

I knew a woman that grew up in Augusta in the 40's and 50's, and her mother would go after her with a piece of stovewood from their stove wood box.

Citm10
Citm10 08/05/14 - 05:49 am
There's a lot of information

There's a lot of information left out of this article... Was he just wacking away at his son for no reason, or was he disciplining him..? And what led up to him "slinging his wife around". I have to admit that the first thought that popped in my head was the same as yours, corgimom..

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 08/05/14 - 07:41 am
Hitting a child with a piece

Hitting a child with a piece of wood is not discipline. It is assault. Besides 14 years old is too old for a spanking.

Citm10
Citm10 08/05/14 - 08:25 am
Well, autumnleaves, when I

Well, autumnleaves, when I came along, 14 was not too old for a spanking. Even in school. The teachers would hit you with a piece of wood called a paddle. Was that assault? Like I said, not enough details in this article.

useful
useful 08/05/14 - 09:12 am
you think a 14 year old is to

you think a 14 year old is to old spank. it a good thing you were not a part of OUR family. OF COURSE NONE OF US KIDS HAVE EVER BEEN TO JAIL AND ARE NOT HOOKED ON DRUGS.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 08/05/14 - 10:30 am
I agree with those who say

I agree with those who say there is a whole lot more to this. The fact that he was the police chief and was arrested tells me this is a much more serious than the article reveals. In order for a police chief IN A SMALL TOWN to be arrested, do you know what HUGE amount of evidence has to exist?? TONS!! I'm talking evidence such as pictures of him snorting cocaine off of the belly of a prostitute. That kind of evidence. And what police officer would arrest his chief with flimsy evidence? Wouldn't it take a HUGE set of brass ones to do that?

jimmymac
jimmymac 08/05/14 - 03:05 pm
PADDLE

Back when they had discipline in schools they used a paddle jokingly called the Board of Education. Boy was it ever! My mom used whatever was available when we got out of line. Deserved discipline doesn't impact poor Johnny later in life. As a mater of fact some of todays current problems would be avoided if some corporal punishment was getting handed out.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 08/05/14 - 03:10 pm
Yes, a 14 year old is too old

Yes, a 14 year old is TOO old to spank; spanking is a desperate measure of frustrated or lazy parents. It is a very good thing I wasn't part of your family "useful". Glad my children weren't either. None of my children have been to jail or hooked on drugs. They have all gone to college after graduating high school with honors and three have already graduated with honors on academic scholarships. Recent studies have shown that spanking is associated with a lower IQ, so I think I'll take that information and my results NOT spanking my children as sufficient evidence I'm on the right track over anything you have to say.

Citm10
Citm10 08/05/14 - 08:38 pm
Man there were some

Man there were some frustrated and lazy teachers when I grew up.. So, autumn, what's the age at which we shouldn't spank our children?

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 08/06/14 - 10:17 am
They shouldn't be spanked

They shouldn't be spanked after they are out of diapers and only spanked on the diaper if they are in physical danger, to swiftly get their attention, for example if they are about to run about in a parking lot, road, about to burn themselves on the stove. You should be disciplining your child, not spanking them. Discipline is proper guidance so they learn to self-discipline. Keep in mind, you strike them when they are young, don't be surprised if they strike you when you are old and tear up the behinds of your grandchildren. After all, that is what you taught them.

Citm10
Citm10 08/08/14 - 03:09 pm
Spanking them as a child is

Spanking them as a child is not teaching them to hit you when they get older. I nor any of my friends (who all got spankings) would have even dreamt of hitting our parents. Spanking was just another tool that my parents used to discipline. Taking away priviledges was also effective. However, outright defiance or disrespect was often met with a good butt whoopin. And rightfully so.