Mother also researched child heat deaths

Sunday, June 29, 2014 12:13 PM
Last updated 7:38 PM

ATLANTA — The mother of a toddler who died in an unattended SUV in suburban Atlanta told investigators she did online research on how hot it needs to be for a child to die in an unattended vehicle because she was afraid it might happen, police said.

Cobb County police investigate an SUV where a toddler died Wednesday, June 18, 2014, near Marietta, Ga., when the father forgot to drop his child off at day care and went to work. Justin Ross Harris, 33, was being held without bond on a felony murder charge Thursday, police in suburban Atlanta said.   AP
AP

Leanna Harris hasn’t been charged in the death of her son, 22-month-old Cooper. But a search warrant released Sunday said the woman went onto the Internet before the child’s death to search for information about children dying in cars.

Police say Cooper died after being left in the backseat of an SUV by his father June 18.

Justin Ross Harris, 33, has told police he was supposed to drive his son to day care that morning but drove to work without realizing that his son was strapped into a car seat in the back. The child was left in the car alone for about seven hours. The temperature that day was 88 degrees at 5:16 p.m., according to a police warrant filed the day after the child died.

In an interview after his son’s death, Harris told investigators that he had also done an online search on what temperature could cause a child’s death in a vehicle. The warrant didn’t specify when Harris did the searches.

Harris is jailed on charges of murder and second-degree child cruelty. He was unable to attend his son’s funeral Saturday in Tuscaloosa, Ala.

IBeDogGone
IBeDogGone 06/29/14 - 11:40 am
SICK

This is horrible and bless him! He is in a much better place than he was here on earth with his partents.

jimmymac
jimmymac 06/29/14 - 11:55 am
SORRY

I can't find anything better about a child dying in that manner and going to heaven.

Sweet son
Sweet son 06/29/14 - 01:17 pm
How could you?

There are so many couples that would do anything for a 22 month old little boy. I know a young couple right now who would do anything to adopt that child!

eschamb
eschamb 06/29/14 - 01:32 pm
Parents

When the investigation gets going, what do you think they also took out a lot of life insurance on their son? They will say they researched that to, because they were afraid that would also happen? Burn in eternity.

allhans
allhans 06/29/14 - 01:36 pm
All deaths of this nature

All deaths of this nature should be fully investigated. Taking the word of the guilty parent is not nearly enough. Dig deeper...and eschamb..I agree.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/29/14 - 01:52 pm
Money

I wonder if mom and dad took out one of those baby life insurance policies?

happychimer
19590
happychimer 06/29/14 - 02:19 pm
They are waiting for

They are waiting for toxicology report. My heart breaks for that little boy.

corgimom
corgimom 06/29/14 - 02:30 pm
It makes me want to vomit to

It makes me want to vomit to think that maybe they conspired to do this together.

jmo
jmo 06/29/14 - 04:49 pm
Thank God......

they were too stupid to pull this off.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/29/14 - 06:45 pm
BTW: Tracking what people view

The police don't even have to go to any other search engines or webcrawler companies for the info.

In XP and older versions M$ has provided a built-in tracker
called Index.dat files, which are cache files used by the Windoz OS and Internet Explorer. Whenever you visit a Website the address of the page, time of visiting and even the HTTP request for this page is stored in a few different Index.dat files.

I won't discuss how to remove these tracks for obvious reasons.

But if you want to read your browser track history on a XP or older version. Download a program called Index.dat QV

Run it and read your browsing tracks since your last OS install.

WINDOZ 7+ requires a different application and uses different files and control locks which I won't discuss for obvious reasons.

If you have even earlier versions like Internet Explorer 3.x installed. Then you have mm256.dat and mm2048.dat files.

myfather15
myfather15 06/30/14 - 04:33 am
I'm sorry, but I don't

I'm sorry, but I don't believe her for a second!! I don't need to research how long it takes a child to die in an unattended vehicle, because I will NEVER leave my child in an unattended vehicle!! Why would you need to know this information, unless you've left them in unattended vehicles before? I've never even thought of looking that up, because it's NEVER crossed my mind to leave them unattended!! Did she believe they would eventually FORGET the child in the vehicle? What parent actually believes they MIGHT do that??

I'm curious if the child had any mental disabilities, such as autism. I worked a case years ago, where a couple planned the death of the child because they simply couldn't mentally handle the challenges of a special needs child. Could be a possibility or it could be as others have hinted, about insurance money. Either way, I don't believe this mother and I hope they both get what they deserve!! Sick, twisted people!!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/29/14 - 09:37 pm
The implications here are too

The implications here are too sordid and twisted to comprehend. I am anxious to see facts come out; hopefully to show they didn't plan this child's horrible death.

Airman
Airman 06/30/14 - 04:36 am
MyFather

Very good post. To expand on the special needs a little, there are families that adopt specials needs children, because they are just that , special. My youngest never wanted to get out of the car. In this case I would spoil him rather than leave him in the vehicle. That promised treat. Oh well I will just continue to pray for them and keep an open mind.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 06/30/14 - 05:52 am
I wouldn't want you "rush to judgment" people on my jury!

I agree with MYFATHER15 though.
Why would you even have to look that up? It is fishy but I will wait.

to tell the truth1
to tell the truth1 06/30/14 - 06:58 am
Shrimp and Airman

Are you two implyiing that possibly a 22 month old has some kind of insecurities about their special needs condition and because of this the parents chose to leave him alone in a heated car for an entire work shift ?????????

Airman
Airman 06/30/14 - 08:04 am
Totellthetruth

Definitely not, just expanding on an earlier comment. A lot of what ifs out there.

City inspectors look to demolish Goodale House

Rob Sherman, director of Augusta's License and Inspection Department, said his staff plans to ask a State Court judge in early 2015 to order the endangered property, which was built in 1799 and is ...