Petition pushes Tybee Beach nudity

Saturday, June 21, 2014 9:08 AM
Last updated 10:37 PM

SAVANNAH, Ga. -- A Savannah man has started an online petition to designate a quarter-mile of Tybee Island’s beach as clothing optional.

Editorial page cartoon in the Savannah Morning News  MARK STREETER/SAVANNAH MORNING NEWS
MARK STREETER/SAVANNAH MORNING NEWS
Editorial page cartoon in the Savannah Morning News

In the change.org letter, addressed to Tybee Mayor Jason Buelterman, Savannah resident Shawn Williams writes: “The practice of nudism is purposely nonsexual. It serves as a personal comfort and a stronger sense of freedom. There is the belief that nudism helps with self-esteem, relaxation, and overall well-being.”

As of late Thursday, more than 250 people had signed the petition.

Each time a person signs it, Buelterman gets an email.

“This is the first time I’ve heard this suggestion in a serious way,” he said.

He doesn’t seem too keen on the proposal.

“My take on it would be that I certainly appreciate people taking an interest in Tybee and our beach, but we’re a family beach, and it’s not something we’re considering.”

Williams, 22, who describes himself as a naturist, said the idea came to him when he realized how far he’d have to travel to get to a nude beach — something he’s never experienced.

“I do not think the residents of the area are ready for such a change,” he said via email. “However, I feel this change is needed. There are virtually no nude beaches in America.”

Buelterman said he’s alerted the rest of Tybee Island City Council because any such decision would require a vote.

Currently, though, it doesn’t look as if Tybee’s too hot for the idea of letting beachgoers rock their birthday suits on the sand.

City Councilman Paul Wolff said having a nude section of the beach wouldn’t work well with Tybee’s image as a family friendly vacation destination.

“While I’m personally all for nudity, I don’t think it fits into our tourism agenda,” Wolff said.

Williams said he tried to get a petition going last year, but it didn’t get far. Then he saw a petition to allow a part of Jacksonville Beach, Fla., to become clothing optional, and that renewed his drive.

Williams said he’s received mild positive feedback, and he expects some criticism.

“My response to negative feedback would be that they would not be required to visit the nude portion of the beach if they do not wish to as it will only be 1/4 of a mile,” Williams said.

If a section of Tybee’s beach were to be OK’d for nudity, Williams said, there’d be signs warning other visitors of impending nakedness.

At the moment, obviously, it’s against the law to be naked on the beach.

“You can’t have a fire on the beach, and you can’t a have a beer keg on the beach or anything like that,” Buelterman said. “We do require you to be wearing clothing.”

Tybee Police Chief Bob Bryson said officers patrolling the beach occasionally run into people who are in the nude.

“It’s infrequent, but it happens,” he said.

In those cases, police generally cite the naked people or charge them with public indecency, depending on circumstances, he said.

However, he mentioned, during beach season, people often walk around the island wearing skimpy attire, and that holds true especially out on the sand.

“People are pretty much just about naked out there, anyway,” he said.

dwb619
dwb619 06/21/14 - 09:28 am
peronal comfort

"personal comfort and a stronger sense of freedom".
Can also be achieved by wearing some loose fitting Duckhead khakis and no underwear.

bright idea
bright idea 06/21/14 - 09:40 am
Let the women

go topless like the men but everybody keep below the Mason-Dixon line covered.

Jake
Jake 06/21/14 - 10:16 am
The bare facts

There are clothing optional beaches here in the bay area and my experience is that most of the nudes I have seen would look better if they put their clothes back on. Of course there was that one time when I stumbled across 4 exotic dancers who were sunning themselves for the overall tan look and were not the least bit afraid to talk to you. Gee, if I only had a hand full of bills to give them it would be interesting to see where they would have tucked them away.

BamaMan
BamaMan 06/21/14 - 10:38 am
You're joking right?

"a matter of personal comfort". Who's he kidding? You want to go nude? Do it in your own backyard, one with a privacy fence please.

corgimom
corgimom 06/21/14 - 10:58 am
There's one in San Diego-

There's one in San Diego- Black's Beach- and it isn't a big deal. Most of the people that go there are older men that nobody would want to look at twice, with or without clothing. The people that go there police themselves and they don't allow any nonsense to go on, they will call the police in a minute if somebody is out of line.

corgimom
corgimom 06/21/14 - 11:00 am
I'd rather have a nude beach,

I'd rather have a nude beach, that was posted and everybody knew the deal, than to see some of those so-called swimsuits that aren't any more than dental floss and show EVERYTHING, and are allowed on public beaches with families.

corgimom
corgimom 06/21/14 - 11:04 am
And I'd rather see a nude man

And I'd rather see a nude man than a man jammed into a Speedo that they should've thrown away on high school graduation night.

IBeDogGone
IBeDogGone 06/21/14 - 11:12 am
BODY MASS INDEX

Everyone desiring to go nude should have to have the appropriate body mass index to enter. This could be a new feature of the Affordable Health Care Act, if you can afford to eat enough chips and drink enough beer that you are considered you are obese you must go on a strict weight loss plan before you are allowed in.

Personally I am just going to buy my Granny Suit and stay with the kiddies!

gaflyboy
gaflyboy 06/21/14 - 11:15 am
corgimom

"those so-called swimsuits that aren't any more than dental floss"

Those like the one that caused my co-workers daughter to exclaim "Look Mom! That lady's hinie is eating her bathing suit!"

Dixieman
Dixieman 06/21/14 - 11:53 am
This is actually ok

Because Tybee Island is not really part of Georgia.
Or the United States.
In fact, go down there and you will soon realize that it is not even of this planet but is floating out there in the Twilight Zone....

myfather15
myfather15 06/21/14 - 11:56 am
Mr. Williams, you should get NOTHING!!

This is PUBLIC property!! Take it to a vote by the people!! I assure you, you will lose!! So, they put up a sign that says "Nudity ahead" but some PERV, decides to lie nude, 20 feet from the sign?? You think we can't see that? My children won't see that? You want a nude beach? Buy some private land and have YOUR OWN!!

Darby
Darby 06/21/14 - 12:31 pm
Gee, maybe I should dust

off that telephoto lens I haven't used for so long now.

myfather15
myfather15 06/21/14 - 01:13 pm
Darby

Or maybe not!! Have you actually seen what most people who frequent nude beaches, look like? Rarely do you see attractive people at them!!

oldredneckman96
oldredneckman96 06/21/14 - 02:01 pm
Corgimom

Maybe you have not been to Blacks Beach in a while. Last time I saw it, the most perverted people were doing the most perverted things you ever did not want to see! Just like Disney having a “gay day,” if you make it a nude beach, you would need severe warnings posted to let people know not to bring the family. Children do not need to go to a freak show.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/21/14 - 02:08 pm
Just Looking

I'm not going to comment on the nude beach. I'm just going to look for awhile.

Airman
Airman 06/21/14 - 02:09 pm
Baby Beach Maui

is a secluded cove next to the most popular beach ( Big Beach) on Maui. You have to climb a cliff to get to it. People of all ages, shapes and sizes go there. This past January many more people went to it due to rough surf at Big Beach, myself included. It was nothing sexual, just people desireing to sunbathe in the altogether, as myfather15 hinted, leave your camera home. No ravishing beauties or stud muffins, just a bunch of ordinary people. I decieded to leave my trunks on. After reading another comment maybe I will buy a Speedo and go to North Carolina

jimmymac
jimmymac 06/21/14 - 02:55 pm
CALI

Why would GA or any other state want to copy something that's going on in California?

stuaby
stuaby 06/21/14 - 03:25 pm
"The practice of nudism is

"The practice of nudism is purposely nonsexual."

This statement seems fundamentally flawed.

burninater
burninater 06/21/14 - 03:40 pm
"This statement seems

"This statement seems fundamentally flawed."
------

When you had group showers in gym class did you think you were waltzing into a Liberace dreamworld?

stuaby
stuaby 06/21/14 - 03:41 pm
I've often heard that the

I've often heard that the people on nude beaches aren't much to look at.

I guess it makes sense that it'd be that way. For one thing, about 50-70%, at least, of the people out in public, in general, would certainly look disgusting naked. So the plain statistics support this.

Another thing is: why would a really fine woman go and just set it all out like that for guys to see without having to do anything? And if there are no fine females, then why would any hunks show up there?

stuaby
stuaby 06/21/14 - 03:49 pm
"When your doctor tells you

"When your doctor tells you to disrobe do you think, "Shee-oot! I'm getting some action today"?"

Nope.

Nope. I'm not homosexual, so that would have been an impossibility for me in the locker after football practice. Now, if the (female) cheerleaders had been showering with us, there would have been PLENTY of sexual thoughts (and reactions) going through me.

"Just because some folks have sexualized nudity in the general sense doesn't make all forms of nudity sexual."

Well, whatever, but if a fine, naked woman walks in front of me, I'm going to have a strong reaction that will be much different that I would have if I were looking at a fence post.

"If you felt you could not control your sexuality at a nude beach, then it is probably a situation you should avoid."

When did I say I wouldn't be able to control my sexuality at a nude beach?

specsta
specsta 06/21/14 - 04:01 pm
The Body Is Beautiful

myfather15 wrote - "Have you actually seen what most people who frequent nude beaches, look like? Rarely do you see attractive people at them!!'

You obviously have never been to South Beach in Miami.

myfather15
myfather15 06/21/14 - 04:02 pm
stuaby

That's too much common sense for libs!! It's also human nature; a nature which they WANT people to believe isn't there or they can control!!

From what I've seen of nude beaches, I'm with you; I could go there and not look twice at any of them. But, as you stated; if a gorgeous brunette walks in front of me naked, it would be real hard not to look and have bad thoughts. Probably why you don't see them there, because they know guys would be glaring. Only people you have on these beaches are the morons who look like chewed bubble gum!! Then, I would have to agree with leftists about mental illness; they definately have some type disorder!

But, althought I hesitate; I must agree PARTIALLY with corgimom. There are definately some people out here who need to cover MORE, not less!! But the difference is called genitalia, and it should be covered!!

myfather15
myfather15 06/21/14 - 04:07 pm
Specsta

"The Body Is Beautiful"

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that; maybe one day even you'll believe it. I promise you, I've seen many that WERE NOT beautiful. Now, commence calling me shallow and unsensitive!! But you can deny reality all day long (which liberals typically do) but I'll continue living in the real world.

Actually, you're right; I've never been to South Beach and I also didn't know South Beach was a NUDE beach; because that is what I was talking about.

If South Beach is a nude beach, I MIGHT stand corrected. But if a PORTION of South Beach is nude, then my guess is the person's who frequent THAT PORTION, look like chewed bubble gum!!

burninater
burninater 06/21/14 - 04:13 pm
"When did I say I wouldn't be

"When did I say I wouldn't be able to control my sexuality at a nude beach?"
-------
If you propose that the statement "The practice of nudism is purposely nonsexual" is fundamentally flawed, then you are stating that the practice of nudism is necessarily (i.e. "fundamentally") sexual.

However, you acknowledge in your last post that nudity is not always sexual.

Therefore, you are unable to conceive of nudism as a nonsexual form of nudity, even though others are able to do so. This represents a lack of control of one's sexuality.

This doesn't mean you're going to go assault people, and that wasn't what I was implying. We're all sexual beings, and one person's sexual triggers are not another's. The inability to disregard a certain stimulus as a sexual trigger is not a bad thing, as long as victimization doesn't follow -- but it does represent a specific lack of sexual control.

If someone responded to the statement "Disrobing at the doctor is purposely nonsexual" by stating it was fundamentally flawed, I would likewise say that person was unable to control their sexuality in the doctor's office.

myfather15
myfather15 06/21/14 - 04:28 pm
If Dr. Phil is the one asking

If Dr. Phil is the one asking me to disrobe, I assure you; there will not be any type of sexual feeling.

If Sofia Vergara is the doctor, I will not promise the same results. Although, I probably wouldn't have any reaction, as I know there isn't a snowball's chance in hades of anything happening with her. BUT, if she winked at me during the procedure, all bets are off!!

burninater
burninater 06/21/14 - 04:33 pm
Lol myfather, exactly. And

Lol myfather, exactly.

And most modest people that knew they could not control their reaction around Sofia Vergara would say "you may want to bring in another doctor". There's nothing shameful in understanding how we individually react to certain stimuli.

But that doesn't mean we should disallow others from engaging in behaviors that we may find personally uncomfortable or erotically-charged.

stuaby
stuaby 06/21/14 - 04:58 pm
"...who look like chewed

"...who look like chewed bubble gum!! "

Ah...hahahahaaaa!

Good one, my, good one!

myfather15
myfather15 06/21/14 - 04:59 pm
On private beaches, I agree

On private beaches, I agree with you 100%. In regards to public beaches, I disagree 100%!!

stuaby
stuaby 06/21/14 - 05:01 pm
Gee whiz, Burninater. You've

Gee whiz, Burninater. You've obviously devoted a lot of thought to this before today.