Government

More News | | | Editor

Barrow, Wilson condemn swap of detainees for soldier

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 5:42 PM
Last updated 7:08 PM

U.S. Rep. John Barrow on Wednesday joined forces with three other House lawmakers – two Republicans and one Democrat – to introduce a resolution condemning President Obama’s decision to release five Taliban detainees in exchange for the release of Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl.

The resolution, also signed by Reps. Scott Rigell, R-Va., Reid Ribble, R-Wis., and Nick Rahall, D-W.Va., expresses concern over national security implications stemming from the May 31 release and ramifications that might follow from negotiating with terrorists, according to a news release from Barrow’s office.

It serves as official repudiation of Obama’s actions by the House for the president’s failing to notify the appropriate committees of Congress at least 30 days before the transfer or release of any detainee held at Guantanamo Bay, as required by law.

“After receiving a classified briefing from the Administration, I disagree with how the Administration negotiated with terrorists for the transfer of terrorists we already had in custody,” Barrow said in the release. “I’m concerned that they failed to follow the law to give proper notice to Congress. Checks and balances aren’t negotiable. Congress is ready to listen, and it’s critical that the Administration not treat Congress as an adversary or as an afterthought.”

Rep. Joe Wilson, R-S.C., the chairman of the House Armed Services Subcommittee on Military Personnel, also issued a statement after the House Armed Services Committee received testimony from Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel and Department of Defense general counsel Stephen Preston.

“The United States must never negotiate with terrorists,” Wilson said in his remarks.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 06/11/14 - 06:11 pm
Mr. Barrow, I held my nose

Mr. Barrow, I held my nose and voted for you the last two times. You are dangerously close to loosing that vote come November. Think Eric Cantor and stop trying to appease the folks who are responsible for your move from Athens to Savannah, to Augusta, and will draw you out of the district again if given the chance in 2020.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 06/11/14 - 06:24 pm
Oops

Loosing=losing

billcass
billcass 06/11/14 - 07:27 pm
Well of course he does

It is getting close to election time. Time for Barrow to start acting conservative again.

Free at last 2015
Free at last 2015 06/11/14 - 08:30 pm
Congressman John Barrow is a

Congressman John Barrow is a traitor he is looking more, and more like a Tea Party cup. Another shocker is brewing as we get closer to November election. These two congressman will be extinct after November. Nobody in Congress want to see the pattern that took out Eric Cantor.

Here's things: Eric Cantor did not fall asleep in this race.
He spent around $5 million. He ran lots of negative TV ads about Obamacare and expansion of Medicaid. He knew this was going to be a close one. He campaigned. And he still got creamed.

And here's the other thing: Cantor was not an enemy of the Tea Party. He was in fact the Tea Party's guy in the leadership for much of the Barack Obama era. He carried the tea into the speaker's office. And still he got creamed. So Barrow and Wilson are next to get creamed.

The Mick
The Mick 06/11/14 - 08:32 pm
"These are my guns now and

"These are my guns now and nobody is gonna take them away"...he's so full of it. If I were a liberal, I would feel like Truth Matters. However, I am not and I am glad this is likely the last election I have to hear he is conservative trapped in a Democratic Party.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/11/14 - 09:33 pm
This is the Problem

Every time Obama screws up or Violates the US Constitution,
we get the Same LIP SERVICE.

When are the Citizens actually gonna see MEAT on the hook for all the violations and screw-ups.

Or does he get a pass because he is .... you know......
a liberal socialist?

bubbasauce
bubbasauce 06/12/14 - 02:52 am
Mr. Barrow, how about joining

Mr. Barrow, how about joining forces and get impeachment proceedings going pronto!

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/12/14 - 05:01 am
Someone Please Intervene

John Barrow moves from town to town trying to gain support and he frantically changes positions in hopes of not appearing too liberal. He doesn’t know which way is up.

C’mon man, you’re going to make yourself a nervous wreck and drive yourself to the wrong town thinking it’s home one day. Go sit in your friends, Mr. and Mrs. Bob Young’s kitchen and try to figure out who, what and where you are.

myfather15
myfather15 06/12/14 - 07:23 am
Don't you LOVE these leftists!!

Jumping all over Barrow for him being a "traitor" when the truth is, he is nothing more than a typical politician; switching his sides by which way the wind is blowing.

The people are rebelling against the Obama administration on MANY different issues, including this swap. So Barrow is doing nothing but jumping a sinking ship!! He is still a weasel, who supports left wing causes, period!! Hes doing nothing but playing politics with a serious issue. Now, I happen to agree with him on this issue, IF that is how he truly feels, which I highly doubt!! If the majority of We the People were supporting this swap, Barrow would be in full support of this president!!

corgimom
corgimom 06/12/14 - 07:50 am
Blah, blah, blah blah

Blah, blah, blah blah blah.

This is why nothing worthwhile ever gets done in Congress, because of junk like this.

corgimom
corgimom 06/12/14 - 07:51 am
I guess Joe Wilson forgot

I guess Joe Wilson forgot about the part that America never deserts their POW's, ever.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/12/14 - 08:16 am
hahah...I needed that laugh!

AFjoe
AFjoe 06/12/14 - 08:18 am
Barrow back on page One

Back in the news my good man. Want to make some real headlines and statement. Switch parties...that will make a believer out of me.
You would make a good RINO

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 06/12/14 - 12:21 pm
Barrow's Door

This is tantamount to closing the Asylum door days after all the inmates have walked away!!

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/12/14 - 01:09 pm
America never deserts their POW's,?????

JUST the opposite.
The FED's since Korea have in fact left POW's knowingly behind.

The SFOD unit I worked with, had a Load out and mission as late as the MID-1980's that was scrubbed a few hours before take off.

Those 23 will never come home.

BUT REGARDING the POW we are discussing today.

I would say America did not desert this POW,
He Deserted the USA.
We just exchanged TRASH FOR TRASH.

I pray every one of the 5 has a implanted tracking seed.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 06/12/14 - 05:00 pm
I must

say that I'm surprised that the obama boot licker barrow shows some signs of not being a weenie. He just, as a democrat, can never show enough.

Search of alleged dealer's home found drugs, firearms