Crime & Courts Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

GBI: Former funeral home owner died of natural causes

Monday, June 9, 2014 5:36 PM
Last updated 8:47 PM
  • Follow Crime & courts

The death of a former owner of the historic Dent’s Undertaking Establishment last week was determined to be natural, Richmond County Coroner Mark Bowen said.

After an autopsy at the Georgia Bureau of Investigaton crime lab in Atlanta, it was determined that Thomasina Ketch, 85, died from an ongoing medical condition, he said via e-mail Monday.

Ketch, who assumed ownership of the business with her sister, Juliette Brown, in 1985 after the death of father Thomas H. Ketch Sr., died Thursday in her living quarters above the shuttered establishment at 930 D’Antignac St.

Her son, G.B. Hannon, discovered her body and said he waited until Saturday afternoon to report the death because he was distraught, Bowen said.

Though there were no obvious signs of trauma, police interviewed Hannon and sent Ketch’s body to Atlanta as a precaution.

According to The Augusta Chro­nicle archives, the funeral home was founded by John and Julia Dent in 1888 and moved to its final location in 1900.

The funeral home was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990, but financial woes forced the state Department of Revenue to close it in 2008.

Comments (3) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
IBeDogGone 06/09/14 - 07:40 pm
Best Out Come Possible

I am certainly glad natural causes were the cause of her death but it does puzzle me how her autopsy was preformed so quickly. Some family's have to wait weeks.

mycomments 06/10/14 - 10:56 am
Record Autopsy time...

Although I'm sure it was a natural death, how in the world were they able to get autopsy results on June 9 when it was originally reported by media outlets that it would take 16-20 weeks(as is usually the case)? Why do other families have to wait the 16-20 weeks for the GBI Crime Lab to perform their autopsy? What about the boy found dead in the Stein Mart parking lot?

News 12 at 6 o'clock/ June 8, 2014

AUGUSTA, Ga (WRDW) -- The owner of Dent's Undertaking Establishment Thomasina Ketch was found inside her home above the funeral home, according to Richmond County Coroner Mark Bowen.

Bowen says Ketch's body was found days before authorities were called. Bowen says her son, G. B. Hannan, called him on Saturday at 5 p.m. to report his mother's death.

The reason Hannan waited so long was because he was hurt by her death, Bowen said.

Ketch was 85 years old and her body had no visible injuries, the coroner said. It's being labeled as a suspicious death until authorities know the official cause.

Her body was sent to the GBI Crime Lab in Atlanta. The autopsy could take 16 to 20 weeks to be complete.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 06/11/14 - 07:18 am
Maybe it was a slow week. And

Maybe it was a slow week. And that would be a good thing.

Back to Top
Search Augusta jobs
Top headlines
Augusta VA supervisor sentenced to prison
In what the judge called a "tragic case," a former Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center supervisor was sentenced Thursday to 27 months in federal prison for making false statements in medical files.