Body found in Augusta Canal near 13th, Telfair streets

A body was pulled from the Augusta Canal on Saturday after it was discovered by a man fishing from a downtown bridge.

Back | Next
Personnel prepare to take the body to the GBI office in Atlanta for an autopsy.  TODD BENNETT/STAFF
TODD BENNETT/STAFF
Personnel prepare to take the body to the GBI office in Atlanta for an autopsy.

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

At 11:52 a.m., Richmond County sheriff’s deputies and fire rescue crews were called to the scene near 13th and Telfair streets where the body had been spotted face down in a smaller part of the canal, according to the Richmond County sheriff’s office.

The unidentified victim appeared to be a black male, said Sheriff’s Sgt. Glen Rahn, however, Coroner Mark Bowen said that had not been positively determined.

The body, which could be seen from 13th Street, was wearing dark clothing and white shoes. It was retrieved by members of the Richmond County water rescue team and will be sent to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation crime lab in Atlanta. An autopsy will be performed early in the week, Bowen said.

Dexter McCain, of Augusta, said he was fishing for bream on a Greene Street bridge when he decided to relocate to 13th Street. Once he peered over the bridge, however, he caught a glimpse of something he thought he’d never see.

“I thought it was a dummy,” he said. “So I ran down here and got two of my partners and they looked over there with me to verify what I saw. The body was just laying down there floating and I said, ‘I’m not going to eat no fish today.’ ”

It is unclear whether foul play was a factor, but there were no visible injuries, Bowen said. The body might have been in the water for a few days.

McCain said he had fished in the same location Friday night and noticed a foul odor. He said it didn’t seem out of the ordinary because a lot of animals are run over by cars on 13th Street.

After the discovery, McCain said, he is second-guessing fishing in the location in the future.

“It’s kind of scary, especially when they’ve found two bodies,” he said, referring to the February discovery of another body in the canal under the John C. Calhoun Expressway overpass.

“That’s just too much,” he said.

myfather15
myfather15 06/07/14 - 03:18 pm
Editted own post

They changed the article, adding more information.

whyme
whyme 06/07/14 - 01:46 pm
?

It doesn't say that it was "reportedly discovered". Are we reading the same post? Besides, they only put in 1 or 2 sentences. Let's not start speculating.

Sweet son
Sweet son 06/07/14 - 02:18 pm
whyme: Article was posted as follows

Saturday, June 7, 2014 1:22 PM
Last updated 1:50 PM

Bet the AC staff fixed it.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 06/07/14 - 02:53 pm
3 borders?

Time for some diversionary spin... Will it be Sprint Metro Market? Maybe the old reliable Deke wins with more than 60% of the vote? Or my personal favorite a list...

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/07/14 - 04:31 pm
"A body was pulled from the

"A body was pulled from the Augusta Canal on Saturday"....."At 11:52 p.m., Richmond County sheriff’s deputies and fire rescue crews were called to the scene"

I'm confused. TODAY is Saturday and it is now 4:22 P.M. so it has not been 11:52 p.m. yet today (Saturday). So, did this happen on Friday night at 11:52 P.M and the body was retrieved on Saturday at some time in the A.M. or did this happen on Saturday at 11:52 A.M.? Not too many people out fishing for bream at 11:52 P.M.

Pops
Pops 06/07/14 - 06:38 pm
I said, ‘I’m not going to eat no fish today.’ ”

Oh come on......it's perfectly safe......It's in the CBD....

corgimom
corgimom 06/07/14 - 08:01 pm
Gage Creed, you make me

Gage Creed, you make me laugh!

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 06/07/14 - 08:19 pm
Corgimom

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/07/14 - 09:05 pm
2nd body found in the canal in last 6 months?

Wasn't there one around Feb / Mar of this year?

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/07/14 - 09:56 pm
Oh no! I drove by their

Oh no! I drove by their recently, glanced over and saw a group of people doing what looked like a clean up or maybe a school ecology study or something similar in the canal area between 13 street/Telfair and Davidson Fine Arts School. It crossed my mind then about the body discovered in the canal on an earlier date in the year. I'm glad no students stumbled on a body! It's traumatic enough for adults!

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/08/14 - 07:59 am
Location Location Location

Just up the street maybe 50 to 100 yards is where the Shelter sleepers, Hobo's & Drifters hangout under the bridge.

Is someone baptizing them permanently?

historylover
historylover 06/08/14 - 10:06 am
nocnoc

You best get down on your knees and thank God you're not one of the folks under the bridge. Shame on you!

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/08/14 - 10:43 am
Shame on ME ?

I am going do something I generally avoid.
Snapping at a contrary comment directed at me.

History Lover - Shame on ME ?
How in the __________ did you come up with that?

Because I called it like I know it?
Should I have used the PC wording like HOMELESS to refer to Hobo's and Bums, addicts to keep from getting your panties all bunched up?

Yes I have been on my knees a few times, but I did not turn to Public assistance or hang out and get stoned or drunk with bunch
of similar people under the Green Street/Calhoun Bridge or give
up and kicked back from trying. I have never been on Public
assistance. But I have cleaned some of the filthiest restrooms in
Gas stations around Augusta for $10 a pop to get by. 1st with
bucket and sponge, later own I invested in a a mop, bleach and
garden hose. If you ever used a gas station in Augusta in
1981-2 odds are you planted your tail where I cleaned.

I see no shame in honest work and earning a living.

SHAME TO ME
is SITTING ON ONES FAT #$$ and letting others feed and cloth you as a career, when you can do something to care for yourself.